PDA

View Full Version : Well, here's a dumb-a$$.

Fairy
11-10-2009, 05:53 PM
I couldn't believe this when I read it. Not only did someone drive into an outdoor aquarium killing almost every living thing in it, but she did it with a 6yo on her lap completely unrestrained, who then suffered minor injuries, too. Also, a 17yo was in the passenger seat. It did not list if this person was altered in any way, and the details of why she did what she did are sketchy, but oy vey.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/accidents/woman-with-boy-in-lap-plows-truck-into-tia-wall-destroying-aquarium/1050673

eta --> My background lends itself to question things like this as possibly being caused by medical conditions, like epileptic seizures or passing out. I feel for those people who have episodes despite careful controlling precautions. However, there is no indication of that that I have found here. Ugh.

Kitten007
11-10-2009, 06:03 PM
:52: That's all I can say.

bigpassport
11-10-2009, 06:08 PM
Nice. Did you hear about these dumb-a$$es?

http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives?p_action=print

arivecchi
11-10-2009, 06:09 PM
That's a new one.....

Fairy
11-10-2009, 06:16 PM
Nice. Did you hear about these dumb-a$$es?

http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives?p_action=print

The link to these dumb-a$$es didn't work for me.

bigpassport
11-10-2009, 06:25 PM
Don't know how to re-do the link. Here is the article.

Man saw kids, alerted police

LAS VEGAS REVIEW-JOURNAL

After witnessing toddlers fall from a moving vehicle Sunday evening, a good Samaritan jumped out of his car and frantically waved down Las Vegas police officers.

"The blue car, stop them," the man shouted, according to a police report.

"Two children just fell out of the car and rolled into the intersection."

While police trailed the blue PT Cruiser sedan, a third child fell from the vehicle and rolled before the car stopped, according to a Las Vegas police report.

As the driver stumbled getting out of the car near the intersection of Bruce Street and Owens Avenue, an officer asked what happened.

"I have no idea. We were driving around. The door opened up and they fell out. I am going to jail, aren't I?" Nancy Lopez replied, the report said.

Lopez, 28, the mother of one of the children, told police she had three or four beers at a party before getting behind the wheel, the report said.

Nine other people were in the car, including seven children younger than 9, none of whom were in child seats.

Lopez was arrested and charged with seven counts of child endangerment, seven counts of having an unrestrained minor in a vehicle, drunken driving, driving on a suspended license and having an open container in a vehicle.

The mother of the 14-month-old twins who fell from the vehicle, 19-year-old Vanessa Ramirez, wasn't in the car but told police she knew Lopez was not fit to drive when she placed the twins and another child in the car.

"I knew Nancy was drunk and had been drinking a lot at the birthday party we were at," she told police.

Ramirez was charged with child endangerment.

Both mothers were being held Tuesday night at the Clark County Detention Center.

Lopez's criminal history includes several counts of check fraud and theft. Ramirez had no criminal history in Las Vegas.

The women were mothers of all seven children in the car.

The injured children, Lopez's 3-year-old son and Ramirez's 14-month-old twins, a boy and a girl, were treated for injuries ranging from cuts to blood trickling from the girl's nose and mouth.

The male twin, whose wounds included a nosebleed after falling from the car and rolling in the intersection, was listed in good condition at University Medical Center. He had been listed in critical condition.

State law requires that children younger than 6 or lighter than 60 pounds be placed in a child safety seat.

According to the police report, the children were sitting on the laps of two men and were coming from a party in a nearby park where a fight might have broken out.

One of the men, Antonio Sanchez, who was unrelated to the children, was charged with seven counts of child neglect.

The second man was a grandfather to some of the children.

Sanchez, 19, had an open beer in his lap when he was questioned by officers.

Another 12-ounce bottle of beer, unopened but cold to the touch, was found in a diaper bag inside the car, the report said.

"It's leaving a dangerous scene and creating another one," Las Vegas police Sgt. Oscar Chavez said. "That's a lot of kids for that vehicle. I don't know where they all fit."

Investigators did not know how the children fell out of the vehicle, but Chavez said the childproof locking system should have been engaged.

"Kids love to push buttons and pull handles," he said.

Chavez said he had never seen so many unrestrained children in a car.

Deborah Stewart, editor and publisher of Safe Ride News, a publication for vehicle safety educators and professionals, said the children were at high risk inside the car.

According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, motor vehicle crashes are the leading cause of death for children ages 3 to 6 and 8 to 14.

Stewart said that if a crash had occurred, the children could have been thrown from the vehicle or knocked into one another.

"It's a disaster waiting to happen," she said. "In most vehicles, there wouldn't even be enough seat belts for that many people, let along car seats. It was very overloaded.

"This is so extreme."

Fairy
11-10-2009, 06:34 PM
Honnestly, I don't even know what to say about that that would be any kind of indication of what I think about that whole situation. They give licenses to drive, and it is in these situations that I wonder if they should give licenses to parent.

arivecchi
11-10-2009, 06:36 PM
OMG! :47: What is wrong with these people? I am sure car seat safety is not the only area they are lax on. It drives me insane that so many people don't give a crap about their kids in a car. I mean, really, you can't afford a $50 Scenera??? You pile 9 kids in a car? I need to go gulp some wine now to calm down.

arivecchi
11-10-2009, 06:37 PM
They give licenses to drive, and it is in these situations that I wonder if they should give licenses to parent.:yeahthat: Amazing that there is literally nothing one HAS to do before having a kid. You can be the most irresponsible person on the planet and have a bunch of kids.

elektra
11-10-2009, 06:44 PM
The first story with the fish is horrible but at least no one was seriously hurt. The poor fish though. :(
The second one with all the kids in the car.... That is just outrageous. So there were 9 people plus the 3 who fell out PLUS the driver?? And the mom of the twins knew the other lady was drunk? Just horrible.

elizabethkott
11-10-2009, 06:48 PM
I think I just threw up a little in my mouth.
Seriously, what is WRONG with some people?! Who on earth would even think that it is okay to put that many people in one car - let alone babies!?!?
Unless you are escaping from a volcano eruption or something like that (and even then!) why would you think this was a good idea?!

bigpassport
11-10-2009, 06:56 PM
Fairy--Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack your thread. Whether the dumb-a$$ has one unrestrained kid in the car or 9, she's still a dumb-a$$.

From the movie Parenthood, "You need a license to buy a dog, to drive a car - hell, you even need a license to catch a fish. But they'll let any ***hole be a father."

Sorry for all the swearing :o

Fairy
11-10-2009, 07:40 PM
Worry not, Lee, I am happy to share this equal opportunity recognition of dumb-a$$, unlicensed parents.

GaPeach_in_Ca
11-10-2009, 09:02 PM
In the fish tank story, it said she'd been sitting there waiting for a while before the car went into the aquarium. Perhaps the car was put into drive accidentally?

Melaine
11-10-2009, 09:44 PM
Unbe-freakin-lievable.

ilfaith
11-10-2009, 11:17 PM
I can't fathom why she would have had a six-year-old sitting on her lap...she should have just kept the kid in the bed of her pick up truck. Apparently here in Florida it is perfectly legal for children to ride in the back of a pick up...if they're in car seats bolted to the vehicle. (I wonder if I could just tie a booster to the roof of the car and drive around with my kid strapped in like Aunt Edna in National Lampoon's Vacation)

http://www.actionnewsjax.com/mostpopular/story/Picture-Panic/lqGwjNDFm0mLZTtKBZcl7g.cspx

Really we aren't all a bunch of rednecks.

deborah_r
11-10-2009, 11:39 PM
I mean, really, you can't afford a $50 Scenera???

No, but they've got $50 for beer!

Sickening.

MoJo
11-11-2009, 12:06 PM
I was shocked to hear about this in our area today:

http://www.whiotv.com/news/21564320/detail.html

(We aren't all rednecks either)

hellokitty
11-11-2009, 12:15 PM
I bet that the 6 yr old on her lap probably was one reason why she, "lost control" of her car. It never ceases to amaze me the (dumb) things that ppl do.

Reyadawnbringer
11-11-2009, 12:17 PM
Honnestly, I don't even know what to say about that that would be any kind of indication of what I think about that whole situation. They give licenses to drive, and it is in these situations that I wonder if they should give licenses to parent.

:yeahthat:

karenj2
11-11-2009, 01:35 PM
Ok, regarding the fish article - what boggles my mind is that 1) she was allowed to hang out near baggage (our airport barely lets you get your bags out of/into the car before waving you on, and 2) if she was there for a while, why didn't she turn off her car???

You know what ticks me off - if you plan to adopt, you DO have to practically get a liscense to parent, but those who are fertile can become a parent even if they're not capable... GRRRR.