PDA

View Full Version : Veterans Day

BabyMine
11-11-2009, 09:38 AM
I want to thank all of the men and women who have selflessly served, both past and present. You are the true embodiment of a hero. I thank you and your families for all the sacrifices you have made to protect our wonderful country.

Thank-you

MoJo
11-11-2009, 09:40 AM
Amen, Jenn! Couldn't have said it better myself.

Ceepa
11-11-2009, 10:14 AM
We remember and honor those who have served.

infomama
11-11-2009, 10:40 AM
Well said....DH is a veteran and we are so proud of him.

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
11-11-2009, 11:04 AM
My dad died of cancer connected to Agent Orange. Didn't even live to see a grandchild. I honor him and all others!

misshollygolightly
11-11-2009, 11:30 AM
Much gratitude and many prayers for all our veterans and military! And for any military families here, freesnatcher (freesnatcher.com) has a nice list of "freebies" (mostly food and restaurant meals) for military, vets, and military families this week. Enjoy--you've more than earned it!

MoJo
11-11-2009, 11:57 AM
misshollygolightly,
Thanks for the link! DH (a Navy vet) always enjoys the Golden Corral meal, much more so for the camaraderie with the other vets than the free meal, and I was just thinking that I hope we haven't missed it for this year.

My dad was also a Navy vet, and my FIL is an army vet.

Thank you all veterans and all who are currently serving, and also to all the family members, some of whom I know are our friends here at the BBB!

rlu
11-11-2009, 12:49 PM
My dad died of cancer connected to Agent Orange. Didn't even live to see a grandchild. I honor him and all others!

So sorry to hear of your loss. FIL was an atomic veteran (Yucca Flats testing) and passed away from a presumptive cancer several years before DS's birth. FIL did get to enjoy his other two grandchildren though. DS is the age my nephew was at FIL's passing.

We pray for all veterans and active military today.

eta: Jo, just re-read your posting, sorry to hear of your loss as well.

crl
11-11-2009, 12:53 PM
Adding my thanks to veterans and their families. Many in my family have served and I know what a sacrifice it can be.

Catherine

tmphilo
11-11-2009, 12:54 PM

A little off topic, but my grandpa died of esophagus cancer related to Agent Orange. Just out of curiousity, was your dad's cancer the same?

My grandpa was life-long military and DH was in the National Guard for 9 years with one 18 month deployment to Iraq.

elliput
11-11-2009, 01:11 PM
I honor my DH, my FIL, both my parents, and my brother. All have served to ensure the freedom of this great country.

elektra
11-11-2009, 01:12 PM
I want to thank all of the men and women who have selflessly served, both past and present. You are the true embodiment of a hero. I thank you and your families for all the sacrifices you have made to protect our wonderful country.

Thank-you

:yeahthat:

infomama
11-11-2009, 01:22 PM
Just found this...free admission to all National Parks today for veterans!
http://www.nps.gov/colo/parknews/national-parks-waive-fees-for-veterans-day-on-wednesday-november-11.htm

MMEand1
11-11-2009, 02:59 PM
I am Active Duty, and even though it is Veteran's Day, I feel that this day should be used to honor not only those that sacrifice for our Nation, but those that stand behind us and support us every single day! I know that I could not walk out the door not knowing if I'm coming back home without my DH standing by my side and keeping things at the homefront running smoothly. So, thank you to all the Families out there are are doing just as much as those of us that wear the uniform.

teedeedee
11-12-2009, 12:36 AM
Well said. It amazes me how many people get the day off and never stop to think about why.

DH is active duty and I'm a vet. I'm grateful for those who served in the past and for those who serve now and for those who support them all.

niccig
11-12-2009, 03:25 AM
For my Dad and his Vietnam Vet. buddies at Frank's Gym.

Ode of Remembrance

They went with songs to the battle, they were young.
Straight of limb, true of eyes, steady and aglow.
They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted,
They fell with their faces to the foe.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
We will remember them.

......Lest we forget.
.......We will remember them.