PDA

View Full Version : best way to wash pillows?

boogiemomz
11-11-2009, 09:43 AM
I think pillows get really grimy and gross if they're never washed (for years at a time!), but DH doesn't like me to wash his pillow because he says it gets all warped and lumpy. It's true, I have done one of his pillows in the washing machine before and it came out all misshapen, but his pillow is starting to gross me out again and I really need/want to clean it. What's the best way to wash a pillow? I really prefer to machine wash because I feel like it gets it cleanest... does gentle cycle work? tumble dry on low? would love any suggestions for getting/keeping pillows clean... thanks!

pharmjenn
11-11-2009, 10:01 AM
I have never had luck machine washing pillows. If they are polyester stuffing filled, they always lump up. I have the same problem with my DH, he gets very attached to his pillows. I eventually throw all the old ones away except for 1, then when the newer pillows are "worn in" some I toss the last old one.

MoJo
11-11-2009, 10:03 AM
I do machine wash them and tumble dry them. Always two at a time, so the washer doesn't go off balance. But we are HARD on our pillows, so they definitely get replaced every few years (and the old ones become dog beds, which makes everyone happy).

We've had some turn out lumpy and some be fine; I'm guessing it depends on what's inside. I haven't taken time to figure out what washes best.

lizzywednesday
11-11-2009, 11:27 AM
When you stick 'em in the dryer, toss in a couple of CLEAN tennis balls.

The tennis balls will help reduce the lumps.

wellyes
11-11-2009, 11:35 AM
Second the tennis ball suggestion. That's how we wash our down comforter too.

lizzywednesday
11-11-2009, 12:00 PM

It freaks out my DH, but it's the only way to keep things fluffy!

And, for down, it is INDESPENSABLE if you are cleaning it yourself. (I took mine to the dry cleaners in the spring because my machine cannot handle a King sized down comforter and I'd have spent the same amount at the laundromat. Plus, I was able to find a dry cleaner that uses unscented cleansing products; thank goodness for "organic"/"green" dry cleaners!)

kristac
11-11-2009, 12:56 PM

Will this work on down pillows??

lizzywednesday
11-11-2009, 01:13 PM
Will this work on down pillows??

Yes, absolutely.

The Company Store used to sell silicone "down fluffers" that pretty much did the same thing ... but at probably triple the cost!

niccig
11-11-2009, 01:37 PM
I took our pillows to a laundromat as we have a top loader with agitator. If you have a big front loader, you could do it in there. Tennis balls in the dryer or I blue silicon dryer balls from BBB.

What I do in between washings, is to put the pillows outside on a hot sunny day - I put them on a sheet on the outdoor table, and go out and flip over so both sides have a couple of hours in the sun. I have pillow protectors on every pillow, and those get washed with the sheets. I actually have pillow protectors for each sheet set, so I don't have to wait for the washed ones to put back on the pillows.

I don't put our mattress out in the sun - my mother does this, but our mattress is a CA King and weighs a tonne. I frequently strip the bed, wash the sheets but don't put them back on the bed. I open the windows, curtains and try to get as much sun/air into the room. I also vacuum it.

lizzywednesday
11-11-2009, 02:06 PM
Aring your bedding is also a fine idea ... if you don't have pollen allergies! (I do, so that would be a big N-O for me!)

niccig
11-11-2009, 03:07 PM
Aring your bedding is also a fine idea ... if you don't have pollen allergies! (I do, so that would be a big N-O for me!)

Of course...not for pollen allergies, agh that would be the worst thing to do. Btu you could vacuum them, keep them inside but in front of a window that lets the sun in...