PDA

View Full Version : Debating inexpensive gifts LONG

Melaine
11-11-2009, 10:02 AM
I have 10 nieces and nephews, from age 1-8. We will be seeing 7 for sure. I have decided to get one small gift for each person. I already took care of the adults (SS water bottles on clearance).
Now for the kids. Trying to keep it under $8 each and I'd really like it if I could get the same gift for every child. Here are my ideas, I'd appreciate the input.

Option 1: My first idea was to get Safari Ltd. Toobs for each child and be done with it (probably get a board book or something for the littlest one). My kids really like those and I think they are nice for boys and girls. Plus I could probably use coupons and save money that way.

Option 2: A set of playsilks from A Toy Garden and each child gets one. I doubt anyone in the family has heard of them, but I *think* the moms and kids would enjoy. The daddies might be a little confused (like, why is my boy getting a silk scarf for Christmas?). That would be $5 each so maybe I would combine with a few Safari animals and some small play doh cans that I already have. But is one playsilk useless? I still haven't made any or bought any yet.

Option 3: Hope that something comes up on clearance B&M in the next few weeks that I can pick up for everyone.

Option 4: Do what DH would prefer, by running out in a panic at the last minute and going over-budget on cheap junk. (Sarcastic choice).

WWYD? I'd love any other suggestions, too.

kristac
11-11-2009, 10:08 AM
Check out the TRU board game deal. You could probably get a game for each of them super cheap.

eta link to deal thread: http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=340667

Otherwise I like the toob idea- We love playsilks here but I do think they are best for people to buy themselves- they take alot of explaination for newbies :)

hellokitty
11-11-2009, 10:13 AM
I was going to mention the same thing as kristac. Also, you didn't mention how old each child is. I also think that craft sets might be a nice option. If they are on sale at michael's or something or if not on sale, hopefully you can use some coupons to get some at a discount.

Lol, about option 4. If I left it to my DH, he'd do that too. Our family basically decided that we're only going to buy gifts for the kids this yr (although it sucks that my one brother doesn't have kids, so we will probably get something for he and his wife, it was his idea to just do kid presents) and we'll all pitch in for snow removal service as a big gift for my parents. It's a relief not to buy for any of my siblings or SILs, esp my SILs, since they are both really picky.

MamaMolly
11-11-2009, 10:16 AM
Check out the TRU board game deal. You could probably get a game for each of them super cheap.

eta link to deal thread: http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=340667

:yeahthat: I was just going to say the same thing. It is over in the Bargains thread. But from the choices you gave I'd go with the animals Toob. I did that for a 3 year old birthday and wrapped it in a cute box full of paper shreds. His mom told me he loved digging through the box to get the critters.

How crafty are you? Your playdoh comment got me thinking. What about making a big batch of homemade playdoh and giving each child some with a few cookie cutters. I've seen cutters at the $ store before.

I also made a reverseable cape for a gift. I googled 'cape tutorial' and picked one that was easily do-able given my very limited sewing skills and had a velcro closure on the neck. I think it came to about $5 and that was because I needed to buy thread.

vonfirmath
11-11-2009, 10:43 AM
My MIL brought a bunch of plastic animals (similar to those tubes) for my son last Christmas (a "I'm seeing you" gift. Not his main Christmas gift) but they were probably the best thing he got the whole season! He was almost 17 months old. (he only needed two. One for each hand. But having several allowed me to switch them out)

fivi2
11-11-2009, 10:52 AM
Of your options I would go with the animals Toob. I also like the board game idea.

One other thought - puzzles. Tuesday Morning usually has a good selection of puzzles for all age ranges and pretty cheap. You could do simple ones for the little kids and more complex for the older ones.

Good luck!

Melbel
11-11-2009, 10:55 AM
Given the age range in your post (1 to 8), I think you would be much better off getting the same class of items for each child, but make the actual selection more age appropriate (i.e. crafts, games, DVDs etc.). Sorry, but I certainly cannot imagine an 8 year old appreciating some of the items you posted.

As mentioned upthread, there are amazing deals to be had on games at TRU. In addition, there is a great thread re. Up and Monsters BR/DVD combo packs at Target. I also just retrieved an old thread re. toy deals at amazon from last year which will hopefully be repeated this year: http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=308607&highlight=amazon

Melaine
11-11-2009, 11:31 AM
Thanks for all these ideas. I don't think the game idea will work. One family has four kids, one has three and I think between them they probably already have most of the games if not all of them. I know we already have about half the games. That is still such a great price on the games I may donate like someone mentioned.
DVDs aren't going to work, one of the families doesn't have a DVD player and neither watch very much TV.
I really love the idea of making play-doh and actually did think of that because we made some earlier this week. But the fact that the holiday celebration is out of town and the playdoh needs to be refrigerated (at least my recipe is) killed that idea for me. I had thought about making the I-spy bags but I would be hand sewing them and I am just not going to put in that much time without a machine.
If I had a machine, I would totally do the cape idea. I LOVE that idea and was actually looking here last night: http://www.superflykidz.com/ If I could afford it, I'd totally do that.
I may check the puzzles, that definitely seems like a good idea. If not, I guess I am back to the Toobs.
I guess I should have mentioned that these kids are homeschooled and are very open to imaginative play, which is why I was going for gifts that were more broad and could be played with along with siblings of different ages.

egoldber
11-11-2009, 11:47 AM
I wouldn't do the playsilks just because I think it's better to have many than one.

I think that games are a good idea. If you go with less popular games, I think you would do OK. Like the Gamewright games (Slamwich, Chomp, RataTat Cat, etc.), Set, Quiddler, Tangrams, etc.

If you hunt around you can find them all for less than $10 and most in the $6-$9 range. I know that Target, Amazon and other places carry them and have them on sale at times.

vonfirmath
11-11-2009, 11:53 AM
Can you give family gifts and just come up with 1 idea for each family that is more directed toward that family?

AshleyAnn
11-11-2009, 02:10 PM
Of all the options I'd go with #3 (or #4). I really don't think there is a one size fits all gift for kids ages 1 to 8.

My nephew is 4 and a half and is pretty much over toobs unless they are a specific animal/people group he's into. I can't imagine my friend's 6 year old playing with them at all.

And I don't get playsilks and I'm a member here. To me its just a scrap of cloth but I'm also pretty traditional and don't do the child lead/AP thing.

I'm kind of on a crayola buying spree and lots of places are putting it on sale for $6 to $10 a set.

egoldber
11-11-2009, 02:19 PM
My nephew is 4 and a half and is pretty much over toobs unless they are a specific animal/people group he's into. I can't imagine my friend's 6 year old playing with them at all.

FWIW, my 8 year old would love this. The themed ones are actually better for older kids. They have themes for Space, Jamestown Settlers, Pirates, Explorers, etc., that are designed for older kids.

But we sort of collect these and have a huge number of them, so we may not be typical. :p

Fairy
11-11-2009, 02:24 PM
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this or not, but would it work in your family to do a name swap? So, one gift for each child from one of the other children? So, if there are 12 kids in the family, then all names go in a hat, each kid gets a name picked for them, and they buy one nice gift (say, no less than $25, no more than $30) for their person? Is that doable?

Melaine
11-11-2009, 02:30 PM
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this or not, but would it work in your family to do a name swap? So, one gift for each child from one of the other children? So, if there are 12 kids in the family, then all names go in a hat, each kid gets a name picked for them, and they buy one nice gift (say, no less than $25, no more than $30) for their person? Is that doable?

That's actually what we have done in the past, but it is kind of a big pain, IMO. So this year we are essentially doing "stocking stuffer" size gifts, which is why I'm trying to find something that will work for all the kids. I know drawing names works great for most people, I just personally have found it to be more stressful.

Melaine
11-11-2009, 03:27 PM
What do you guys think about oballs for all of them?

happymom
11-11-2009, 03:28 PM

I think thats a great idea! You could get the rattle o-ball for the 1 yr old if you want.

brittone2
11-11-2009, 04:21 PM

My kids have always enjoyed Gertie balls and O-balls. Gertie wouldn't be as good for the very young kids as they could potentially bite through it or pull the stem/plug thing out and choke on it.

Melaine
11-11-2009, 04:22 PM
I think thats a great idea! You could get the rattle o-ball for the 1 yr old if you want.

That's what I was thinking....I just like the idea of them all having the same gift to play with during the day while we are together. And I like that it wouldn't be something they would open and possibly confuse or lose immediately while we are all together as a group, like games or the animals. We will either be in rather close quarters inside or outside for the day.

Target looks like the best price at $4.29, unless that is a smaller size than the original, I'm not sure.

kristac
11-11-2009, 04:24 PM

Agreed! And there is a football oball as well for the older ones.

http://www.rhinotoys.com/product_football.shtml

Melaine
11-11-2009, 04:24 PM
Agreed! And there is a football oball as well for the older ones.

http://www.rhinotoys.com/product_football.shtml

The boys would like that!!

DrSally
11-12-2009, 12:38 AM
Another idea (or stocking stuffer idea). Did you buy any packs of the Contigo cups at Costco? I know you have some younger ones on your list, but might work for the future. I split up my pack and gave 2 out as gifts to neices/nephews.

happymom
11-12-2009, 01:32 AM
That's what I was thinking....I just like the idea of them all having the same gift to play with during the day while we are together. And I like that it wouldn't be something they would open and possibly confuse or lose immediately while we are all together as a group, like games or the animals. We will either be in rather close quarters inside or outside for the day.

Target looks like the best price at $4.29, unless that is a smaller size than the original, I'm not sure.

That's a great deal. I think it will be a huge hit. Someone gave me an oball with a baby gift for DD and I though- OK I'll put it away for when she's a bit older- DD was probably about 5-6 months old. Maybe even younger. But I never put it away because she loved it even then!! And "grown-ups" love playing with it too...its really a great gift.

zag95
11-12-2009, 03:44 PM
I don't know if someone mentioned this (I scanned rather quickly!)- what about a magazine subscription for each family- maybe Zoobooks or Highlights, National Geographic Kids or similar? That' might be kinda fun for them to get "mail" each month- and they could swap- so if you had 2 - they would have access to more!

Or some books - I think you could probably find each kiddo a book for under your price point- maybe they could do a wishlist- and you could pull from there?

What about a cook book or a fun "science" project book- where they are creating and exploring? One of those that is a cooking book- but is science focused??

GL!

Melaine
11-12-2009, 04:06 PM
Guys, thanks for the advice. I will be remembering them for future gift opportunities!

I decided to go with the Oballs and I'm really happy that each child can have the same gift that way. Since they are only a little over $4 each I can still throw in some candy or maybe one of those $1 crafts from Michael's.

Andrea S
11-12-2009, 09:49 PM
My kids 1, 3 & 7 love the rocket balls or sky balls. I saw some at toys r us yesterday.

ett
11-12-2009, 11:02 PM
I saw baby gertie balls (non choking hazard) at the local toy store today.

happymom
11-12-2009, 11:25 PM
Guys, thanks for the advice. I will be remembering them for future gift opportunities!

I decided to go with the Oballs and I'm really happy that each child can have the same gift that way. Since they are only a little over $4 each I can still throw in some candy or maybe one of those $1 crafts from Michael's.

Melaine, maybe you could actually stick some candy inside the oball- that would be cute! Then you could wrap each ball up in cellophane and tie it at each end with a ribbon so it looks like a big candy. I dont know if you've ever seen that, but its easy, comes out adorable, and the kids will love it!!

Melaine
11-13-2009, 08:43 AM
Melaine, maybe you could actually stick some candy inside the oball- that would be cute! Then you could wrap each ball up in cellophane and tie it at each end with a ribbon so it looks like a big candy. I dont know if you've ever seen that, but its easy, comes out adorable, and the kids will love it!!

:bighand: That is a fabulous idea!!! Thanks!

Jen841
11-13-2009, 11:58 AM
You may be covered, but here are some ideas.

When I was young, we had a "book only" rule with cousins. I ended up with some beautiful books!

Themes - sports, like what you have. For the 6-8 age group you can go the balls or jump ropes (my niece wanted a double dutch one last year.)

Music - lots of fun kids CD's. With sales/deals you could be covered

Craft kits- can't go wrong in my eyes. Save the coupons and get 40-50% off.

Klutz/Chicken Socks books - so many different ones, the hand/finger print one can even go to the little on. I did this a few years ago for our crew of 8 nieces/nephews. I had a blast at Michaels picking them out. Finger prints, paper dolls, build a ship, ...

Magic - kits/parts for the kids. Capes, hats, tricks,... all could be fun to celebrate the Magic of the season.

Personalized stationery - All kids could use some notecards for Thank Yous.

Insultaed bags - again all ages could use these for picnics etc. LandsEnd has had some great deals.

Kids Cookbook for the family (Paula Dean my kids love!!!)- then cooking tools for the kids (spatulas, bowls, aprons,...)

christiedavid3
11-13-2009, 03:28 PM
ooooooh i LOVE the idea of stuffing an oball w/ candy and wrapping it like a candy itself! I may just do that for DS's home daycare kids!