PDA

View Full Version : Need ideas for great newborn gift (girl, first child, $200ish)

hillview
11-11-2009, 01:54 PM
A woman who works for me has had her baby (long complicated pg and birth). Mom and baby are now home and happy. I want to send a very nice gift (approx $200). This is their first child -- a girl. Any ideas? I'd like to get it from someplace where she could return it if she wanted to. I'd like to give something that they don't likely have so this would be for maybe older infant sort of items?

Ideas so far: a bunch of books, sleep kit (twilight turtle, some books and some good sleep books for parents); food kit (me too high chair, place mat, dishes, maybe some food books etc)

TIA!
/hillary

Melaine
11-11-2009, 02:09 PM
The Tripp Trapp or Learning Tower (might not be locally exchangeable) are probably my favorite bigger items.

happymom
11-11-2009, 02:17 PM
I think a high chair with some feeding accessories is very nice. She prob didnt buy one yet, but will need it pretty quickly! If you want to make it more personal, you could add in a bib with the baby's name monogrammed on it. I think that would be very nice.

MoJo
11-11-2009, 02:32 PM
Are you sure she's set on the basics? My boss (very generous, like you) asked me to be sure we had everything, and actually ended up buying our crib because no one else had done so (DD slept in the PNP for the first several months by our choice).

If she has everything she needs, then any of your ideas would be great. However, we are partial to books in this house: I was an English major, DH teaches language arts and social studies, and my mom is a library assistant! Books are among my DD's favorite things already, and she will bring me a book more often than all of her other toys combined!

applebutter
11-11-2009, 02:43 PM
Love the sleep kit idea! As a new mama of a 13 wk old, I'd suggest the Happiest Baby on the Block book and DVD, Healthy Sleep Habits Happy Child, a set of Aden & Anais swaddling blankets, and a Miracle Blanket or Swaddle Me. I think most of these can be purchased from diapers.com, which is one of my favorite websites EVER.

Because a lot of moms include a bath in their baby's bedtime routine, maybe a set of California Baby skincare and bath items, too.

Do you know if they are doing cloth or disposable diapers? If they are doing cloth, helping them build their stash would be incredible. You could get her some diapers if you know which kind she uses, or accessories like a pretty wetbag (PlanetWise's wet/dry bag is awesome), super nice wipes (Thirsties are the best IMO!), a wipes warmer (Prince Lionheart's Warmies warmer works best for cloth wipes)...

Another nice little luxury are Trumpette socks. So cute!

misshollygolightly
11-11-2009, 03:46 PM
Love the sleep kit (don't forget a sleepsack!), feeding kit (love those bibs with the pocket/crumb catcher thing on the front), or bathtime kit ideas (does she have an infant/toddler tub? towels?). Is she set on diapers/wipes for a while? I know it's sort of old fashioned, but I also always like the sweet silver, heirloom-quality baby spoons--preferably engraved with a name or initial.

Some other thoughts:
gift cert for a maid/housecleaning service
gift card to Schwan's or similar service that delivers food/meals

Seitvonzu
11-11-2009, 03:46 PM
oh, this kinda post makes me want another newborn :) you are a nice boss giving such a wonderful gift!

i like the idea of a sleep "kit" -- we do sleepsacks and were a swaddling/miracle blanket family for a long time. our child is so attached to her sleepsack that she'll ask for it if she's tired. my mother didn't like us keeping her in them as she got older (the baby not my mom ;)), but completely converted when she put lucy to sleep without the sack and lucy wouldn't stop crying. :) we've had all sorts but i really like grobags. they are currently on sale at mamabargians.com (but going fast!!!) they are generously size in the upper ranges!

i LOVE the twilight turtle/ladybug/i think they also have a sea turtle now? i think goodnight books are a great idea too! (we like goodnight moon (a standard!) and goodnight gorilla around here...i also really like "a child's goodnight book" which is a less standard margaret wise brown book that is very soothing and good. and "the very busy spider" by eric carle is good for lulling too) maybe a lullabye cd? we got a beatles one that was really soothing when lucy was a newborn.

a bath kit might be fun too, but you are splurging, so maybe you want one WOW item. we LOVE our learning tower, but it takes up OODLES of space, so you might take that into consideration. it's a lot to store (even before assembled) if she won't use it for a while. a nicer highchair is neat, but i would be sure that's teh sorta thing she "gets" -- i "get" the trip trap now, but it took some getting used to . we have a more traditional highchair and i think that was the right choice for our family.

HAVE FUN :) seeing things like trumpette socks and little wee diapers (another great idea, here is another vote for thirsties wipes! and also kissaluv diaper potion concentrate and and and... love diapers!) and soft towels and blankets... it just makes you want a newborn, doesn't it? :)

Seitvonzu
11-11-2009, 03:50 PM
oh-- one thing i wanted to say about the sleep kit. .... tread lightly with sleep books! we were "healthy sleep, happy baby" people all the way... but even so, i wanted to throw that book at my husband manymany times. we worked/still work very hard on providing out child good sleep. in fact, i'm meeting my hubby on a business trip this weekend and our main discussion (besides where the hotel is in relation to shopping/food) has been "how to work around baby's sleep."

and "how will baby sleep in the same room with us?" anyhow.... sleep training seems to be a sensitive issue for people. especially if they aren't blessed with a natural sleeper! (our child isn't a natural sleeper, and still has trouble sometimes despite her "training")

i would focus on things that naturally help establish the sleep routine-- bath stuff, sleep sack, bedtime stories, lullabies, twilight turtle, etc.

hillview
11-11-2009, 04:15 PM
Ok thanks for the feedback all. I am thinking of going with the sleep theme:
- sleep sack
- twilight turtle or the like
- good night moon and a few other books
- california baby calm baby wash

Other ideas to add in?
TIA!
/hillary

happymom
11-11-2009, 04:16 PM
a mobile? Although she might want one that matches her nursery decor.

stillplayswithbarbies
11-11-2009, 04:19 PM
a gift certificate for a baby photographer? (although $200 won't go very far I guess)

goldenpig
11-11-2009, 04:43 PM
That's so generous! How about a nice umbrella stroller? Peg Perego Si is on sale for $200 at http://www.justkidsstore.com/prod/peg-perego/2009-si-lightweight-stroller/Papaia.
Or how about an Ergo carrier and Bebe Au Lait nursing hood (if she's breastfeeding).

MommyAllison
11-11-2009, 05:28 PM
I would add a Tickety Bu bamboo velour blanket www.hyenacart.com/ticketybu - but they are kinda hard to get!

ETA Her store is pretty empty right now - you can see some of her work here http://ticketybu.blogspot.com/

lkarp
11-11-2009, 05:32 PM
How about some nice lullaby CDs to add to the sleep kit. And for mom something yummy to soak in the tub for after baby's asleep.

graciebellesmomma
11-11-2009, 05:52 PM
The most luxurious, special gift that we got for our daughter
was a cashmere blankie. It still resides in bed with my 7 yr old
daughter. It's been washed many times...it's soft, like butter.

I loved it so much that I bought one on deep clearance from Hanna Andersson
for myself. A cashmere lap throw. LOVE IT!

Dreamy and decadent. Always made me feel so
lucky to have such a special gift that I would never have
paid so much for!

http://www.hummingbirdln.com/item/Pink_Striped_Cashmere_Blanket/11/c1
http://www.kinder-cashmere.com/babyblankets.php
http://www.bunnyburybaby.com/category/baby-blankets/cashmere-blankets/?gclid=CLy119n2g54CFShSagodBVwqp

Or get this one and throw in some Mommy stuff!
http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Himalaya-Trading-Co.-Striped-Cashmere-Baby-Blanket-and-Scarf/3468868/product.html?cid=123620&fp=F&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=11540739

neeleymartin
11-11-2009, 11:54 PM
- sleep sack

Other ideas to add in?
TIA!
/hillary

goodnitelite.com $39.95

best when baby gets a little older, but AWESOME!!! we started using ours around 15 mos. would look super cute in any nursery before it becomes useful. hth

teedeedee
11-12-2009, 12:10 AM
I can't imagine not having Quick Zip sheets- and they would go with your sleep theme! They have have life easy so many times for middle of the night sheet changes. LOVE THEM!

http://www.cloudsandstars.com/

karenj2
11-12-2009, 12:13 AM
I don't have any suggestions, 'cause I'm a FTM to be, but can I come work for you??? :love5:

TwinFoxes
11-12-2009, 12:16 AM
- sleep sack

Other ideas to add in?
TIA!
/hillary

Nice idea!

How about one of those sleep sheep? I don't remember what they're called, but they look so sweet!

"Happiest Baby on the Block?" It worked wonders for us.

Momof3Labs
11-12-2009, 12:21 AM
To the sleep kit, I'd add a lullaby CD like Return to Pooh Corner from Kenny Loggins, and a Tykie light (perfect for late night diaper changes). Or perhaps a Marpac white noise machine? A little indulgent but sooooo worth it!!

happymom
11-12-2009, 12:55 AM
To the sleep kit, I'd add a lullaby CD like Return to Pooh Corner from Kenny Loggins, and a Tykie light (perfect for late night diaper changes). Or perhaps a Marpac white noise machine? A little indulgent but sooooo worth it!!

Whats a tykie light? I tried googling it but didnt really come up with anything.

teedeedee
11-12-2009, 01:01 AM
I was wondering about the tykie light too...what is it??

KpbS
11-12-2009, 01:05 AM
Or perhaps a Marpac white noise machine? A little indulgent but sooooo worth it!!

Oh yeah, sound machine and sleepsacks are total essentials for us here. Great thoughtful gift. Happiest Baby on the Block was a huge help w/ DS1 too.

Momof3Labs
11-12-2009, 04:39 AM
Whats a tykie light? I tried googling it but didnt really come up with anything.

Here's one. They come in different colors - we have blue and orange.

http://www.amazon.com/MOBI-70175-TykeLight-Portable-GloMate/dp/B001HKPHYQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1258015071&sr=1-2

baileygirl
11-12-2009, 04:53 AM
I am a fan of the Badger Night Night Balm.
A little minkee blanket to be used as a lovey.
Stops Crying: Heartbeat Lullabies by Terry Woodford (can buy on amazon.com)
If you don't get the above, a white noise machine (we use both to mask the noise of our house).
A mobile or something similar for the crib.
Miracle Blanket (we used that for the first few months and then moved to a grobag)
A book on sleep
Maybe some kind of relaxing thing for the mom (i.e. tea, sleep balm)

ETA: my boys both slept with a little lovey blanket and Nicki by Kathe Kruse as babies (starting around 6 months).

Seitvonzu
11-12-2009, 09:29 AM
our "white noise" machine wasn't that expensive... maybe it's not that great, who knows? but it was one of those "baby crack" machines from bed bath and beyond-- the one that has several different noises/ music and a light projector for the ceiling. we haven't gotten it out in a while, but it did get us through a couple months and after applying at 20% coupon it was under 20 dollars (plugs in so no batteries)

i can't remember what it's called, but for those couple months, i really loved it. we even took it on vacation with us to help our then 5 month old sleep in an unfamiliar place-- it had a timer feature on it, which was really nice. we'd play the music/sound whatever for 30 or 45minute

jenmcadams
11-12-2009, 10:40 AM
Nice idea!

How about one of those sleep sheep? I don't remember what they're called, but they look so sweet!

"Happiest Baby on the Block?" It worked wonders for us.

Just wanted to echo Happiest Baby on the Block Again :)

MommyofAmaya
11-12-2009, 10:54 AM
Aden & Anais Blankets to go with the sleep theme? I wish I would have gotten those first instead of the dozens of too small receiving blankets.

I just recently spent about that much on a basket for a close friend. I included all the things that she would have probably wouldn't have found registering somewhere like Babies R' Us, ie. Babylegs, Etsy burp cloths and pacifier clips, milk tea, Sophie, Razberry teether, Aden & Anais blankets, Bumkins bibs, Calfornia Baby Wash, teething tablets. I would have included the Twilight Turtle if I would have thought about it (we love it here!).