PDA

View Full Version : Did you compete in a collegiate sport?

Corie
11-11-2009, 04:28 PM
Did you compete in a collegiate sport?

I did not.

vludmilla
11-11-2009, 04:30 PM
Nope. I'm not too into team sports. I used to run on a track team but that was the closest thing to organized, team sports that I ever did.

codex57
11-11-2009, 04:32 PM
Yeah right. I was recruited to be on my high school basketball team. Recruited by the head coach who saw me playing at lunch. I was recruited to be a shooting guard/small forward, yet I also served as the backup center cuz I knew low post moves. I'm 5'7". :ROTFLMAO:

elektra
11-11-2009, 04:36 PM
Yes. I got a full scholarship to UCLA to play softball. We won a national championship. I was also a first team academic all-american and won other awards too. I then went on to play professionally and was the MVP of our little pro-softball "world series". ;)

hillview
11-11-2009, 04:37 PM
I did. Soccer div 3.
/hillary

MichelleRC
11-11-2009, 05:15 PM
I played one season of tennis (Div III) and was coxswain of our crew club.

GaPeach_in_Ca
11-11-2009, 05:53 PM
I didn't play any official sports, I did club sports.

I did swimming for 2 years, water polo for 4 years & ultimate frisbee for 3 years in undergrad and 2 years in grad school.

I did a study abroad in the UK and our water polo team won the BUSA cup (British Universities Sports Assoc). I was "man of the match" for the semi final, but I missed a penalty shot in the final in front of our home crowd. That was pretty exciting! :D

Our ultimate team was pretty good in grad school, but we just missed qualifying for the national champtionships.

Moneypenny
11-11-2009, 06:01 PM
Definitely not. I'm so uncoordinated I can fall out of chair for no reason at all. Needless to say, I do not excel at sports.

codex57
11-11-2009, 06:13 PM
Yes. I got a full scholarship to UCLA to play softball. We won a national championship. I was also a first team academic all-american and won other awards too. I then went on to play professionally and was the MVP of our little pro-softball "world series". ;)

Did you get a ring? Can we see a pic of it?

elektra
11-11-2009, 06:32 PM
Did you get a ring? Can we see a pic of it?

I forgot I had this, but I was able to find it in my jewelry box. My camera doesn't want to zoom close enough. But it says NCAA Champions around the stone, and it has UCLA on the blue stone.
One side says 9-time national champions and the other side has a picture of a glove with a ball and my (maiden) name is on top and my position is on the bottom.

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss148/elektra09_2009/IMG_1857.jpg

codex57
11-11-2009, 06:38 PM
So cool! Thanks for sharing! I seriously don't understand why there aren't more pics of championship rings around. And congrats!

Corie
11-11-2009, 06:39 PM

That is so incredibly awesome!!!

elektra
11-11-2009, 06:44 PM
That is so incredibly awesome!!!

Thanks Corie! Thanks for giving a chance to brag a bit too. ;) Playing a collegiate sport was an AWESOME experience. And then I basically lived the movie "A League of Their Own" afterwards. The college thing was better though. :)

AnnieW625
11-11-2009, 06:49 PM
No I did not.

ellies mom
11-11-2009, 07:24 PM
I ran x-country. I wasn't particularly spectacular but it was fun.

StantonHyde
11-11-2009, 08:05 PM
I was captain of our women's rugby team. I LOVED it and would love to still play. But at 44, the body just doesn't take getting hit the way it did 22 years ago!!!

PAfirsttimemom
11-11-2009, 08:12 PM
Yup. Div III field hockey.

Corie
11-11-2009, 08:35 PM
I was captain of our women's rugby team. I LOVED it and would love to still play. But at 44, the body just doesn't take getting hit the way it did 22 years ago!!!

Did you ever break any bones? Bones of your own? Or bones belonging
someone else? :)

daphne
11-11-2009, 08:41 PM
I played lacrosse (div 3), but not very well :o

kijip
11-11-2009, 08:45 PM
Only intramural/clubs. Softball.

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
11-11-2009, 08:56 PM
I shot trap and skeet, just a club sport. And cheerleading, if you count that.

jenmcadams
11-11-2009, 08:58 PM
I played three Div III Varsity sports

2 Years Basketball
I rode the bench, but it was fun to play college basketball as a 5'3" walk-on.

3 Years X-Country
I was recruited to run, but skipped freshman year b/c I was afraid of losing my academic scholarship; I made top 7 (traveling) my first two years and was even team captain as a Junior, but by Senior Year I was the 9th or 10th runner...we had started to become more competitive and recruited a ton of talented runners

2 Years Track
I got injured at the end of Senior Year XC and just spent the spring of my senior year having fun, job hunting and planning my wedding (yes I was a dork who got married one month after graduation)

jenmcadams
11-11-2009, 09:00 PM
Thanks Corie! Thanks for giving a chance to brag a bit too. ;) Playing a collegiate sport was an AWESOME experience. And then I basically lived the movie "A League of Their Own" afterwards. The college thing was better though. :)

So cool...while I was so psyched I got to play college sports at the Div III level, it's nothing like Div I. How cool to get to play professionally too...

WatchingThemGrow
11-11-2009, 09:45 PM
Wow. I'm impressed with you all! I thought it would be pure torture to play a collegiate sport, just like it was when I was 10 and played soccer.

I guess I'm in the "falling out of my chair" category too. I asked my fSIL about her hs sports and mentioned something about a field hockey "puck." She giggled. not a jock.

melrose7
11-11-2009, 10:14 PM
Yes, I played soccer Div 3 my first of college. It was great but it was too hard to play, work, and try to have a social life while away at school. I still play now on a womens team when I'm not pregnant. I do play goalie so once I start trying to get pregnant I take some time off to just be careful in case I would get pregnant right away. Can't wait to be ready to play by summer.

newg
11-11-2009, 10:19 PM
I played DIV I tennis all four years.......it was an unbelievable experience that I will always cherish.

drako
11-11-2009, 10:20 PM
I was on the equestrian team...just a club sport at my college.

jent
11-11-2009, 10:24 PM
Yep. Club badminton. DH was captain & organized a tournament with a nearby polytech institute. Man, those Chinese grad students are goooooood!

happymom
11-11-2009, 10:25 PM

That is so cool! Go Elektra! :cheerleader1:

KpbS
11-11-2009, 10:36 PM
I wish I had....

MoJo
11-12-2009, 01:38 PM
Wow, I'm impressed!

I couldn't have made any sports team in middle school, much less college.

StantonHyde
11-12-2009, 01:51 PM
Did you ever break any bones? Bones of your own? Or bones belonging
someone else? :)

I never broke anything, (or anybody else) but I had some AMAZING bruises. Like a giant hematoma on butt. The "best" one may have been from when I was on the bottom of a ruck/maul and somebody basically stepped on my chest and left cleat marks on my boob. I don't have much to start with so I was actually hoping it would swell--no luck.

We would stay and watch the men play after us. One guy (the hooker) got a broken nose (very common) and you don't get substitutes in rugby. So he runs over to the sideline looking for help. People are scrambling. I reached into my backpack and pulled out 2 OB tampons. The trainer cut the strings off and shoved them up his nose--nose stabilized and bleeding stopped all in one fell swoop. He was back in the game!

StantonHyde
11-12-2009, 01:55 PM
Oh--I forgot about being on the equestrian team until somebody else posted. Total club sport-lots of fun. I was at Tufts for a semester and it was in the fall. We would go every Saturday to various New England colleges to compete. Talk about a great way to see all the gorgeous country side. That was fun. And there were some amazing riders on the team. One guy is a big time pro now. (I was not at that elite category but have always loved riding)

happy2bamom
11-12-2009, 01:56 PM
Yep, I played tennis. Div. III
Had a blast. Wish I could find someone to hit with now, but most of the people my age seem to be recreational players (and not very good)

elektra
11-12-2009, 01:59 PM
Just found this video on YouTube! The music is so cheesy but I am #14 at first base. I score a run and then catch the last out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l6ROWyeHCs&feature=PlayList&p=89CD3343AF380990&index=4

Corie
11-12-2009, 02:44 PM
The trainer cut the strings off and shoved them up his nose--nose stabilized and bleeding stopped all in one fell swoop. He was back in the game!

Now, that is so sexy! :)

Corie
11-12-2009, 02:48 PM
Just found this video on YouTube! The music is so cheesy but I am #14 at first base. I score a run and then catch the last out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l6ROWyeHCs&feature=PlayList&p=89CD3343AF380990&index=4

Do you still have your softball uniform? And how often do you wear it
for your husband? :)

clc053103
11-12-2009, 06:44 PM
Nope, sorry, I was the drunk sorority girl.....but I am TOTALLY impressed with all of the collegiate athletes around here!!