PDA

View Full Version : H1N1 vaccine ? opinions wanted

KenReeves
11-11-2009, 04:36 PM
Our DS is 5.5 mos old. We can get him a vaccine shot but were curious as to whether others are doing the same for their babies __ especially ththose as young as ours. Thx much

SnuggleBuggles
11-11-2009, 04:44 PM
My answer would be shaped a bit by whether baby is breastfed as well as if baby is at home, in a daycare setting or has other childcare arrangements. And whether there were older siblings.

Beth

brittone2
11-11-2009, 04:46 PM
With the seasonal flu vaccine (I realize we're talking about H1N1 but since it is supposedly built around the same process as the seasonal flu vax...), there have been questions raised about whether it is any more effective than a placebo in children under 2. (Cochrane database review for example). There honestly just isn't that much research on kids under 2 and whether the seasonal flu shot is all that effective. Obviously this isn't specific to H1N1, but something I'd take into consideration.

mecawa
11-11-2009, 05:03 PM
Well, my DD2 has been vaxed for H1N1,she is not as young as yours (she is 10 months old) and has an older sister who is in elementary school, she also has a very rare and complicated medical history, which caused my ped to highly recommend it for her. I without a doubt wanted her to have it because of the situation. I was on the fence about whether to give it to DD1 who is extremely healthy and 5 yrs. old, and probably had H1N1 back in the spring but after research, and talking to my ped, decided to and she got vaxed yesterday.

ShanaMama
11-11-2009, 05:21 PM
I am still torn about this decision but at this point I do not plan on vaccinating my family for H1N1. We do Vax generally but I spread them out with the guidance of my ped. DD2 has an egg allergy so she cannot get it in any case. I don't feel positive about my decision but I took advice off a different post and asked my ped if he is vaccinating his children. I was suprised that he echoed my concern that this particular vax has not been around d very long and we just don't know that there are no side effects. At the time that I was there he had two other patients that likely had reactions to the vax. One was Very high fever and I forget the other.

JBaxter
11-11-2009, 06:10 PM
probably off topic but I always wondered..... If you dont know if your child has an egg allergy because they are to young to have had egg how do you know if it is safe to get the vaccine?

I mean its a big deal if a child has the allergy and they are advised NOT to get it vax yet they give it to a 6 month old who has not been exposed to eggs.

ShanaMama
11-11-2009, 07:45 PM
probably off topic but I always wondered..... If you dont know if your child has an egg allergy because they are to young to have had egg how do you know if it is safe to get the vaccine?

I mean its a big deal if a child has the allergy and they are advised NOT to get it vax yet they give it to a 6 month old who has not been exposed to eggs.

Good question. This is actually how we found out about DD's allergies. She had excema & I was already dairy-free due to her colic. The ped really pushed me to get her tested before giving her the flu shot.
They do give the flu shot to egg-allergic kids BTW. You just have to do it in the allergist's office. Not sure why, I guess they basically monitor it. My allergist is almost 2 hours away, not going just for the shot.

BayGirl2
11-11-2009, 08:10 PM
I am still undecided about whether we'll get DS the seasonal and H1N1 shots when he's 6 months. That will be early Dec, by the time he gets the 2nd shot that kids need, it will probably be Jan. I think I'll consider how bad the outbreaks are at that point.

He is in daycare and has already picked up colds, and babies in my area have had H1N1. I got both vaccines myself and I breastfeed, so I'm hoping that is enough to protect him. The CDC says the H1N1 immunity will pass through breastmilk. I am a bit worried, but I feel better vaccinating myself than the baby.

catsnkid
11-11-2009, 10:20 PM
My son is the same age.. Will be six months next week I was going to talk to the doctor about it next visit. He could possibly have asthma as he has had chronic coughing issues so I guess the nose spray is out for H1n1. Don't know if he is allergic to eggs yet.. Still on the fence for both flu and H1n1.. He is BF goes to center day care and both DH and I are vaxed for both flu and H1n1.

brittone2
11-11-2009, 10:20 PM
My son is the same age.. Will be six months next week I was going to talk to the doctor about it next visit. He could possibly have asthma as he has had chronic coughing issues so I guess the nose spray is out for H1n1. Don't know if he is allergic to eggs yet.. Still on the fence for both flu and H1n1..

A 6 month old isn't eligible for the nasal mist, whether asthmatic or not. They must be 2 or older to receive the nasal mist.

brandonsmom
11-11-2009, 11:07 PM
Focus on strengthening his/her immune system. Add cod liver oil to the child's bottle or slip it in while breastfeeding especially now that it is fall/winter coming on and Vit D levels will be down.

Please read any one of Dr. Russell Blaylock's papers on vaccines easily located by doing a Google search.

srhs
11-12-2009, 12:19 AM
The CDC says the H1N1 immunity will pass through breastmilk. I am a bit worried, but I feel better vaccinating myself than the baby.
Interesting! I found the CDC link: http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/infantfeeding.htm
I wonder why my pedi told me, when I asked, that it wouldn't really help with antibodies (to be vaxed myself so DS2 could receive anitobodies via BF). But that it would be good to get to keep me from contracting it and then spreading it to DS2.
Hm.

PAfirsttimemom
11-12-2009, 11:43 AM
We got our almost 14-month-old both seasonal flu and H1N1 shots. (Although we still need the booster for H1N1.) I struggled with the decision, but I decided to go through with it based on doc's and CDC's recommendations. Also, our 3-year-old has not been able to get the H1N1 shot (it's being rationed at ped's office), so I thought getting the baby vaccinated might protect him is his older brother (or me or DH) brings the virus home.

stillplayswithbarbies
11-12-2009, 02:03 PM
Interesting! I found the CDC link: http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/infantfeeding.htm
I wonder why my pedi told me, when I asked, that it wouldn't really help with antibodies (to be vaxed myself so DS2 could receive anitobodies via BF). But that it would be good to get to keep me from contracting it and then spreading it to DS2.
Hm.

I don't see anything on that link that says the immunities from being vaccinated yourself will pass through the breastmilk to the baby.

BayGirl2
11-13-2009, 02:41 AM
I don't see anything on that link that says the immunities from being vaccinated yourself will pass through the breastmilk to the baby.

I was referring to the last paragraph on this page: http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/vaccination/pregnant_qa.htm

Can a breastfeeding mother receive the flu shot or the nasal spray?
Yes. Both seasonal and 2009 H1N1 flu vaccines should be given to breastfeeding mothers and breastfeeding women can receive either the shot or the nasal spray form of the vaccine. Breastfeeding is fully compatible with flu vaccination, and preventing the flu in mothers can reduce the chance that the infant will get the flu. Also, by breastfeeding, mothers can pass on to the infant the antibodies that their bodies make in response to the flu shots, which can reduce the infant’s chances of getting sick with the flu. This is especially important for infants less than 6 months old, who have no other way of receiving vaccine antibodies, since they are too young to be vaccinated."

brandonsmom
11-13-2009, 03:46 AM
The CDC forgot to mention that aluminum and mercury also pass through the breastmilk to the baby.

egoldber
11-13-2009, 08:02 AM

This is actually one of the reasons for the push to get pregnant women vaccinated. There was a recent study (can't find the link off the top of my head), showing that vaccinating pregnant women significantly reduced not only their own rate of flu, but also that of their infants. I don't know if it was from transmission of antibodies or from reduced exposure.

srhs
11-13-2009, 11:18 AM
I was referring to the last paragraph on this page: http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/vaccination/pregnant_qa.htm

Can a breastfeeding mother receive the flu shot or the nasal spray?
Yes. Both seasonal and 2009 H1N1 flu vaccines should be given to breastfeeding mothers and breastfeeding women can receive either the shot or the nasal spray form of the vaccine. Breastfeeding is fully compatible with flu vaccination, and preventing the flu in mothers can reduce the chance that the infant will get the flu. Also, by breastfeeding, mothers can pass on to the infant the antibodies that their bodies make in response to the flu shots, which can reduce the infant’s chances of getting sick with the flu. This is especially important for infants less than 6 months old, who have no other way of receiving vaccine antibodies, since they are too young to be vaccinated."
Yes, that was the info I meant to link to. I must have navigated away. I apologize for that. That was the info that convinced me to get the shot for the benefit of DS2.
I just wish I wouldn't have taken them to the clinic with me, but that's another thread.

hillview
11-13-2009, 11:34 AM
In general I'd get the vax for our household. DH and I both travel a ton and DS #1 is in school so a younger sib would be more at risk. I'd also value my pedi opinion on this topic. I guess if I had concerns and if we didn't have an older school age child in the house and had the opportunity to say quarentine (like live in a differnt bedroom for a week) one of us if we got sick then I might reconsider. It should be said that I don't think H1N1 is the most horrible thing out there, I do think it is a basic flu with a kill rate that is I just don't like the flu! I don't have concerns - DH is a scientist who works in medical research and he and our pedi agree H1N1 is a good idea for our kids.
GOOD LUCK!
/hillary