PDA

View Full Version : Apparently I have expensive taste in eyewear...

deborah_r
11-11-2009, 05:10 PM
I have almost zero fashion sense. I generally want my clothes to be comfortable and not attract much attention...just kind of blend in. So why am I in the optometrist office looking at Coach, Juicy Couture, BCBG frames? I just spent $570 on glasses and sunglasses *after insurance* (which, in my defense, insurance didn't do much for me on eyewear). I paid with my flex-plan dollars, which doesn't even feel like real money - I think that contributes to my extravagant selection!

niccig
11-11-2009, 05:20 PM
I have almost zero fashion sense. I generally want my clothes to be comfortable and not attract much attention...just kind of blend in. So why am I in the optometrist office looking at Coach, Juicy Couture, BCBG frames? I just spent $570 on glasses and sunglasses *after insurance* (which, in my defense, insurance didn't do much for me on eyewear). I paid with my flex-plan dollars, which doesn't even feel like real money - I think that contributes to my extravagant selection!

I hear you. Frames are expensive. Then you add in my lenses which are even more expensive. I now try to choose frames that have thick sides, so the lens doesn't have to be too thin - I've got a strong prescription. So for me, you DID very well to get 2 pairs. If the frames are still OK, next time you go in, just got replacement lenses. That helps me a little as I go several years with the same frame.

crl
11-11-2009, 05:29 PM
I haven't gotten new frames in years because I wear contacts 98 percent of the time. But if you wear glasses on a regular basis, I think that's really worth the money. After all, you'll have them on every day! Per day worn, I bet they work out to be a bargain.

Catherine

deborah_r
11-11-2009, 05:57 PM
If the frames are still OK, next time you go in, just got replacement lenses. That helps me a little as I go several years with the same frame.

We'll see. I went a little outside of my comfort zone with the styles, so hopefully I won't start to hate them too quickly. I was trying to get something a little more fun and funky - it took a lot of effort not to fall back to my usual style (or lack thereof, LOL!) I was telling the lady who was helping me buy them that my husband was going to think I had gone crazy when he sees my giant Coach sunglasses! I am looking forward to them as I think they are going to provide me much better sun protection than any other pair I've ever had...no sun is getting to these eyes, LOL!

AnnieW625
11-11-2009, 06:53 PM
That doesn't sound like a bad amount. DH spends between $300 and $350 every two to three years on glasses and about $200 a year on contacts. I really want him to use his glasses allowance this year for RX sunglasses because he is wearing his glasses a lot more these days due to allergies and such. He says the sun doesn't bother him, but I just think sunglasses are much needed accessories.

The last time I had to buy glasses was 6 yrs. ago and I spent $275 after insurance ($70 is covered IIRC) on my reading glasses. Thankfully I picked timeless frames so I can still wear them now with no problem. I also still have the prior pair of reading glasses I got in 1999. Again timeless frames and my RX hasn't changed:) .

HIU8
11-11-2009, 08:16 PM
That actually doesn't sound to bad. I spend about that much on one pair of non-trendy glasses (we just got flex spending with DH's new job, so before it was totally out of pocket after taxes). I usually buy up to $150 frames. My lenses are where the enpense is. They can cost $400 to $500 just for the lenses (I have very bad eyesight).

kijip
11-11-2009, 08:34 PM
This is a big expense thing for us too...though we have gotten more frugal since becoming parents due to T breaking 2 pairs of J's glasses when T was a baby. At $400 a pop, the $100-200 ones started looking better. :)

miki
11-11-2009, 08:44 PM
That's why I avoid the optometrist's office for buying my glasses. Costco is the way to go.