PDA

View Full Version : Do you voluntarily take DS shopping at the mall

niccig
11-11-2009, 05:58 PM
This come up in with of the bitching post threads, and I just wondered if I'm the only one.

Once DS was about 2 yo, taking him shopping at the mall for clothes became a nightmare. The usual distraction tactics didn't work. I find shopping for me difficult enough as it is, without having to wrangle a child as well. I avoid taking DS to the mall at all costs. We do with DH occasionally, but we don't spend all day there. I will run in with DS to do a quick return or to buy one thing, or if I must take him I buy a few things I think will fit, take them home, try them on, and then return what doesn't work out. Before he was in school, I would rush out after DH came home/on weekends or trade babysitting with a friend. I had all the kids and she would go, and then the next week it would be my turn. DS is in school now, so I can go during a weekday.

So what do you do? How do you shop for clothes for yourself??

SnuggleBuggles
11-11-2009, 06:03 PM
My boys have been pretty good shopping buddies. Ds1 turned on me when he was about 4yo and at that point I avoided taking him if I could. If I had to take him we usually worked out a system where I got to pick a store and shop, then he got to pick. It worked well- especially if we stopped somewhere to eat while out. :)

I've never been one to spend an hour in the fitting room like my SIL and some friends. I usually buy, try on later and return (rarely). I try on clothes sometimes but I am very fast about it due to my personal style- I'm fast whether I have kids with me or not!

Ds2 is almost 2 and I still shop with him. We're ok so far.

Beth

codex57
11-11-2009, 06:06 PM
Shopping in general? Sure.

Shopping for self? Haven't been able to but DW is asking for it so I think I'm gonna have to take the kids so she has some time by herself to look for a new wardrobe.

vonfirmath
11-11-2009, 06:21 PM
So far, I've been able to take my son to every kind of shopping I do -- sure I prefer to do grocery shopping without him. But it isn't always possible.

OTOH, even before I had kids I never spent 5 days, all day, clothes-shopping etc. for myself. A few hours is the most I can do, and that when I'm with my parents, etc. (Ie I wouldn't choose to do it if it wasn't a family activity.) I can't remember being this age, but I remember shopping with my mother when I was 8 and my sister was 6. Some shopping for us, some for her.

niccig
11-11-2009, 06:23 PM
I've never been one to spend an hour in the fitting room like my SIL and some friends. I usually buy, try on later and return (rarely). I try on clothes sometimes but I am very fast about it due to my personal style- I'm fast whether I have kids with me or not!

OK, this might be the difference. The size of clothes depends on the cut for me. I've fit clothes from a size 4-8 in my closet. I have to try on things, especially skirts or pants - I normally take 2 sizes into the changing rooms. Tops/shirts I can eyeball and I don't usually need to try them on. With the stores I frequent more, I'm better about guessing which size will work. I do spend longer in the changing room, and that's what doesn't work with DS. If I'm getting one thing, sure he can come with. More than that, and it's just too much for BOTH of us. I do find clothes shopping to be very difficult for ME, so I don't enjoy doing it and wrangling DS. He's getting better though as he gets older.

tny915
11-11-2009, 06:23 PM
DD1 does like to shop, but only for herself. Once I start looking around at my stores, she loses patience and gets bored.

My solution is to shop online at places with good return policies. I frequent the sites for Gap, Banana Republic, Old Navy, Nordstrom, Zappos, etc.

wellyes
11-11-2009, 06:25 PM
My kid is no problem to take shopping. My DH is the problem..... claims the stale mall air gives him migranes :rolleye0014:

Naranjadia
11-11-2009, 06:26 PM
I only take the kids to the Mall for 2 things: the play area (in the dead of winter when we have to get out of the house or go insane) or Santa. I would prefer to take them to those areas blindfolded, but that would be cumbersome.

I swore before they were born that I would not take them shopping in the mall until they were 16. Target's okay, natch. ;)

But I have sort of a hate-hate relationship with the mall.

Zansu
11-11-2009, 06:30 PM
I usually bribe them with an offer of something new for them if they will sit quietly and read while I look for things.

If I just have DS2, who is 5, I will sometimes take the Zapp, so he has somewhere to sit. He's also turned into a good shopper, so I can tell him to find a top for me, and he'll go through the racks and pick things for me to try. He's got a good eye!

However, I rarely try things on. I am champion of buying, trying on at home, and returning as necessary. I also do a lot of e-shopping to places with B&M returns, as a PP mentioned.

deborah_r
11-11-2009, 06:40 PM
I try to go shopping without them. We might on occasion take them to the mall, but not really expecting to get much accomplished. If I have serious shopping to do, I go alone. We seem to only take them to the mall to get new shoes for them!

I tried to go real quick to Gymboree, Children's Place and Macy's Monday night looking for a solid red polo for DS1 (picture day, but they still had to be in uniform - I like a nice clean new shirt for pictures!) and he was not great in any of the stores. He somehow thinks running is OK in the store and also likes to try to hide from me as a game - and he is 6 years old. I think because DH and I are not big shoppers, our kids just haven't had as much practice at it. They can do grocery shopping, Costco and Target - but other stores confuse them I think!

I often run in to Ross or Marshall's on my lunch break to find a shirt or pair of pants for me if I am in need of something. That's my solo shopping time!

Corie
11-11-2009, 06:43 PM
I haven't bought clothes in forever but I do what Beth does. I buy, try on
at home and return if needed. Most times, I return because I feel bad spending
the money on myself. Sad but true. Meanwhile, my kids are decked out head-
to-toe in Mini Boden.

I did go to Natick Mall today and I tried on jeans at Nordstrom. I had both
kids in the dressing room with me. It wasn't fun. The kids were fine but
I was mortified with how my rear looked in the huge spotlight mirror.

And then I noticed the sign that said the dressing rooms were monitored
by Nordstrom personnel.

GaPeach_in_Ca
11-11-2009, 06:56 PM
I had a really nice time shopping with my 5 year old DS a couple of weeks ago. He brought along some duplos in a bag and made them into a rocket ship, a toucan, a rocket ship toucan, etc., why I tried on a bunch of stuff at ATL. They were nice enough to let us use the store bathroom when he suddenly had to go. :p Then we went to the lego store, had a cupcake and went to Old Navy before he had it. I was done at that point, too.

I really hate going with both boys, though (the younger one is 18 months) because it seems like we can't look at anything and I spend a lot of time chasing the younger one while trying to make sure the older one is keeping with us.

brittone2
11-11-2009, 07:19 PM
I shop without them if I'm really on a mission to buy a few things vs. browse. I usually wait until I can go alone or DH can go with us and he keeps them busy while I shop/try on stuff.

billysmommy
11-11-2009, 07:25 PM
I haven't bought clothes in forever but I do what Beth does. I buy, try on
at home and return if needed. Most times, I return because I feel bad spending
the money on myself. Sad but true. Meanwhile, my kids are decked out head-
to-toe in Mini Boden.

I did go to Natick Mall today and I tried on jeans at Nordstrom. I had both
kids in the dressing room with me. It wasn't fun. The kids were fine but
I was mortified with how my rear looked in the huge spotlight mirror.

And then I noticed the sign that said the dressing rooms were monitored
by Nordstrom personnel.

We were at the mall today too ~ Nordstroms for shoes and bras, Lego store, PBK and Hanna and then Friendly's for lunch....I'm surprised we didn't bump into you guys ;)

wencit
11-11-2009, 07:27 PM
I don't think I've bought new clothes for myself in a verrrry long time. If I do go to the mall to do some real shopping (usually clothes for DS1), I'm most often with my mom, so she definitely helps to wrangle the kids. Sometimes if I'm really desperate, I bribe DS1 with the offer to buy him a treat like chocolate milk. As a SAHM, I'm actually at the mall really often, especially in the winter, just to kill some time -- but mostly I'm just browsing and not buying. Usually. ;)

Corie
11-11-2009, 07:35 PM
We were at the mall today too ~ Nordstroms for shoes and bras, Lego store, PBK and Hanna and then Friendly's for lunch....I'm surprised we didn't bump into you guys ;)

We ate at Friendly's too!! What time were you there? We were probably
eating there at the same time on opposite sides of the place.

We were probably there around 11:30am.

billysmommy
11-11-2009, 07:43 PM
We ate at Friendly's too!! What time were you there? We were probably
eating there at the same time on opposite sides of the place.

We were probably there around 11:30am.

The boys slept late this morning (couldn't believe it!!!) so we ended up not eating lunch until closer to 12:30. Too funny!!!

Asianmommy
11-11-2009, 08:00 PM
I generally don't take the girls to the mall. I shop online or at night or on weekends when DH is home or when the girls are in school/preschool.

I do take them on very short trips if I just have to return something or pick up a gift for a birthday party for one of their friends.

WatchingThemGrow
11-11-2009, 08:04 PM
Just ONE DS? Yes, if it were the littlest one. All DC? NO, not voluntarily. Not with bribery, only if I absolutely HAVE to. I can't think of much worse.

hillview
11-11-2009, 08:10 PM
I usually bribe them with an offer of something new for them if they will sit quietly and read while I look for things.

If I just have DS2, who is 5, I will sometimes take the Zapp, so he has somewhere to sit. He's also turned into a good shopper, so I can tell him to find a top for me, and he'll go through the racks and pick things for me to try. He's got a good eye!

I can get a good hr in if I bring food and a new toy. Also take the Zapp.
/hillary

ellies mom
11-11-2009, 08:26 PM
I've never really had a problem taking either or both girls shopping with me. I don't go out of my way to avoid it. If I need to get something for myself or them, I just bring them. Honestly, most of the time, my husband is more annoying to bring shopping than both girls put together. About the only time having them along becomes a problem is if I've shopping for yarn or fabric and I have to do a lot of figuring in my head.

Ceepa
11-11-2009, 09:07 PM
It depends. If they're having one of those days, then I steer clear of the mall in teh first place, but usually I take them along and we get through it.

kransden
11-11-2009, 09:12 PM
Shopping is "me" time. Dd doesn't go unless I am shopping for her.

elephantmeg
11-11-2009, 09:12 PM
I haven't since DS was tiny in a stroller-like infant carseat bucket. I don't think DD has ever been to the mall except when she was 12 weeks old and we had pics done there. I think she'd do OK. DS not so much. I shop on the rare times I work 7-3 or teach and get out early or have them at the babysitter's all day and just have a meeting. They do do OK at walmart, costco etc. Even target is a little bit of a stretch-I tend to have to look more there. Walmart I can do in my sleep. And they love costco! DH works next door so we meet there for lunch 1-2 x/month at least.

crl
11-11-2009, 09:13 PM
Do I take DS to the mall? Only to ride the escalators. LOL

I don't try to shop for clothes with him there. DH has successfully bought clothes with DS in tow--but that was at Nordstroms where the sales people just bring him stuff, and DS got possession of DH's iPhone for the duration.

Catherine

MommyAllison
11-11-2009, 09:24 PM
We usually all go together. DH enjoys clothes shopping (esp for himself) so we trade off while in the dressing rooms. DD is a good shopper but DS just wants to run around. Maybe if we brought the stroller and snacks it would be better. I need someone to give me their opinion when trying stuff on, and DH spends way too much $$$ when he goes alone. So together it is.

JamiMac
11-11-2009, 09:39 PM
I take my kids with me, but I don't go to the mall often at all. The girls love to help out and they are at a manageable age. DS is in the stroller and won't be out of it until he is of managable age either. It's sometimes a bit stressful, but mostly fun!

bubbaray
11-11-2009, 09:43 PM
Never, unless we are shopping for things like shoes or ski stuff that they need to be there for.

HIU8
11-11-2009, 09:43 PM
Yes. I take DS and DD with me usually whenever I go. DS is very good at the mall. He likes to go with me. DD is becoming harder to handle. I have to have her in a stroller and bribe her with food to stay put or she would rather climb out and run. If I can go alone, I will, but if I need to get something for DD or DS I would rather take them along (both are super picky and I hate making return trips to make a return b/c they didn't like the item).

jent
11-11-2009, 10:09 PM
Rarely, I definitely prefer to shop on my own, or better yet, order online and return in-store. (Or even better yet, return with FS/FR via UPS.) We do go grocery shopping all the time together-- but that's easy; I have a list and know what I want to get. If I'm looking for clothes for me, I want to browse, think about them, and have to try on several sizes. I haven't yet tried bringing DD to shop for her own clothes b/c she used to *hate* putting clothes on (she still resists, sometimes), so I didn't really see the point of bringing her with me. If I shop for her at a B&M, I bring a set of clothes that currently fit her for comparison. But usually I do the mail-order & return thing.

I have vivid memories of my mom taking me shopping as a kid and being bored to tears while she browsed and tried on clothes for what seemed like an eternity.

WatchingThemGrow
11-11-2009, 10:38 PM
Ok, I have to answer again. Hope that's okay! I shudder every time I read this question, like I have PTSD or something. DD won't walk OUT of a place cooperatively, so a mall visit for me (alone) means Ergo + double stroller.

BUT...I just realized that we live near a small mall, and we do go there - not really SHOPPING, but it is a mall and we do go in it - for Chick-Fil-A, the toy store train table, and for community events. Occasionally, we'll buy something small, but it isn't a normal "mall" so I didn't even consider it.

mommyp
11-11-2009, 10:44 PM
We don't go to the mall all that often. When shopping for myself, I prefer to go by myself, much faster. But DD is pretty good in stores (she loves TJs and Target), so I have taken her when I had to. It is definitely getting harder to keep her occupied though, she will only sit in the stroller for so long with snacks and then she wants to walk or push it herself. That's when it gets slow, so I know when she's with me we have to go at a different pace. I'd probably still take her when it's for one or two things, but if I had a lot of things I wanted to try, I'd just go back later.

MontrealMum
11-11-2009, 10:55 PM
Surprisingly, considering how much of a handful DS can be, he's a really great shopper. In any type of store. Granted, he's always either in a stroller or a shopping cart - I can't trust him not to bolt. But ever since he was small he's been a great people-watcher, and taking him to the mall on a rainy/snowy day where he really needs to get out of the house is always a great option for us. I do make sure to always have water and snack items for him.

Funny story, last time I was at the Rack he insisted on holding the boots I was buying. As I pushed him around I couldn't really see him as I was using the sunshade to balance clothes ;) I noticed lots of ladies smiling as we passed, and looked down to see DS "wearing" both of my CK suede booties w/3" heel!

The only thing I have to be careful of is not to steer him past bears, or those cars/horses you can put money in for rides. He especially likes the air hand dryer in the washrooms. Now, if I had more than one kid, I don't know how I'd feel, but with just one - it's great!

bluestar2
11-12-2009, 01:21 AM
I pretty much avoid shopping

Nooknookmom
11-12-2009, 01:32 AM
DD1 was pretty mellow, only issue with her is wanting to stand up in the stroller and smell the perfume. Oh, and if she didn't get cream cheese at Wetzels, she melted down. Not too bad.

DD2 OTOH, holy cow batman, it's awful. I really don't shop for myself very often. It's just too frustrating. When all the threads wear completely bare on my jeans, maybe she'll be old enough to take her with me, lol.

DH always says "Why don't you leave her here" but when the time comes, good luck finding him.

baymom
11-12-2009, 01:49 AM
I generally don't take dc out to the mall or ANY type of shopping errand with me. They are actually very well behaved, but since I have 2 mornings a week when they are both at school, I'm generally able to finish my shopping on those mornings. Well, a few weeks ago, I took them for a quick trip to Target and it was like they were visitors in a foreign country. They were ooohhhing and aahhing so much over every Halloween decoration in the store (not ones for sale, but like hanging from the ceiling in the entry-way area), that I almost felt bad for depriving them! :-)

kijip
11-12-2009, 02:01 AM
I don't tend to go to malls at all voluntarily.

The rare times I am shopping for myself at all, I tend to do it online. If I am buying in-store dollars to donuts I have my husband on the trip with me so that softens the headaches attached to shopping with kids.

niccig
11-12-2009, 03:05 AM
DS is fine in all other stores. He comes to Target, the Hardware store, grocery store, drug store. There's just something about clothes shopping that makes it too difficult to do together. He's getting older and other things are getting easier, so maybe this will too. I'm not a big clothes shopper, so he doesn't have much practice.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Pennylane
11-12-2009, 08:52 AM
Yes and they usually are wonderful! I have to admit I am lucky all three of mine are great shoppers :)

Ann

LBW
11-12-2009, 09:35 AM
Just ONE DS? Yes, if it were the littlest one. All DC? NO, not voluntarily. Not with bribery, only if I absolutely HAVE to. I can't think of much worse.

Basically that. But, I'd choose the oldest or middle one to take if absolutely necessary. My youngest is too much to deal with.