PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to replace pump parts for baby #2?

NewMom2007
11-11-2009, 06:21 PM
I have a couple sets of parts which I used for DS - everything is 2 - 2.5 yrs old. The sets were for the PISA and the Lactina. I also have the manual pump, Harmony.

Is it necessary that I replace any of the parts? I've seen a variety of responses in forums and didn't see anything on the Medela site. Maybe I need to call them - but I feel like they'll just tell me I need to replace them.

I used the PISA at home and when I travelled - it wasn't used a ton, b/c I used the Lactina at work and the Harmony towards the end of my nursing. I don't feel like anything is particularly worn out.

Thanks!!

Melaine
11-11-2009, 06:28 PM
I certainly wouldn't if it were me, but maybe there is a good reason to do so that I am not aware of.

Melbel
11-11-2009, 08:20 PM
Medela replaced my PIS original tubing for free so it may be worth a call. From what I recall, there is some risk of milk backing into the tubes allowing bacteria to grow. The valve/membrane (little piece with the flap) is supposed to be replaced every so often to keep proper suction. I replaced my shields because they offered a different size that fit me better. Otherwise, so long as everything has been sterilized, the shields/connectors should be fine.

WatchingThemGrow
11-11-2009, 09:48 PM
I would, but just because when I got new ones and compared them to the old ones, they were SO much cleaner-looking. and...the design flaws had been fixed! I got new tubes each time also, kept the old ones as back up.

Katherine707
11-12-2009, 04:32 AM
I'd get a new full kit, but a very minimum change the membranes on the kit bc they tend to degrade over time and decrease suction. Supposed to change them out every three months or so to keep maximum performance.

NewMom2007
11-12-2009, 12:59 PM
I can't believe I didn't know I was supposed to change out the valve/membrane every three months. I probably never noticed b/c I had so many and would just grab a pair, not always using the same ones. I never had a problem with suction, so they must have been ok.

I'll dig out the supplies this afternoon and give them a once over. Will probably get one new kit and some additional membranes.

Thanks all!

NewMom2007
11-13-2009, 10:33 AM
I called Medela and the rep said that the only the valves/membranes need to be replaced regularly. Everything else can be sanitized by putting it in cold water, bringing to a boil for 10 minutes.

Of course, she said if anything looked dirty/moldy, to replace it.

sansdieu
11-13-2009, 11:44 AM
I can't believe I didn't know I was supposed to change out the valve/membrane every three months. I probably never noticed b/c I had so many and would just grab a pair, not always using the same ones. I never had a problem with suction, so they must have been ok.

I'll dig out the supplies this afternoon and give them a once over. Will probably get one new kit and some additional membranes.

Thanks all!

I did not know either. I never replaced my valves/ membranes (and I pumped for 13 months or so). Shouldn't someone tell you those things? ;) And don't say RTFM; I was barely conscious during that whole first year.