PDA

View Full Version : Where do you buy party favors??!!

ohiomom1121
11-12-2009, 11:39 AM
My kids' birthday parties have always been just family (lots of kids, but mostly my nieces and nephews) so I've bought nicer favors (superhero capes, hop balls etc) for the kids. We're having DD's first friend birthday party this weekend and I haven't gotten favors yet. She typically gets the little bag of junk at parties she goes to (which of course she loves) but I'm not even sure where to get that kind of stuff....dollar store? party store? Any other suggestions on nicer inexpensive favors? There's about 15 kids so I don't want to spend a lot per child.

jse107
11-12-2009, 12:32 PM
After much debate, I decided to make cut-out cookies for O's 5th birthday. His party "theme" was animals (all the kids brought something to donate to the Humane Society), so I made cut-outs of animals. I frosted them, put on colored sugar sprinkles, and bagged them--about 3-4 per kid. They were a HUGE hit and inexpensive. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

I have an easy cut-out cookie and frosting recipe if you need it! I got the cookie cutters at Michael's.

ohiomom1121
11-12-2009, 12:54 PM
After much debate, I decided to make cut-out cookies for O's 5th birthday. His party "theme" was animals (all the kids brought something to donate to the Humane Society), so I made cut-outs of animals. I frosted them, put on colored sugar sprinkles, and bagged them--about 3-4 per kid. They were a HUGE hit and inexpensive. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

I have an easy cut-out cookie and frosting recipe if you need it! I got the cookie cutters at Michael's.
I love that idea! I would definitely like the recipes.

baileygirl
11-12-2009, 01:08 PM
Color Wonder sets are on sale for about $5 at Target right now, we have done those in the past (for a smaller party).

jse107
11-12-2009, 02:54 PM
I'll send you the recipe! We've got a birthday dinner tonight, but I should hopefully be able to post afterwards!

Corie
11-12-2009, 03:18 PM
You'll want to find out about food allergies before you do the cookies.

With my son's peanut allergy, I would not trust that any food is safe.

But, I'm kinda weird about food favors. Unless I know the person extremely
well, I get nervous about eating their food favors. Maybe they let their cat walk
around their kitchen counters, maybe they cross-contaminated the food with
peanuts/peanut butter, maybe they sneezed into the cookie batter bowl, etc?

I trust my good friends but sometimes my kids are invited to school/preschool
parties and I don't know the parents very well.

Corie
11-12-2009, 03:23 PM
I was going to suggest Avon but I don't think you have enough time.

My daughter is giving out Avon party favors in a couple weeks at
her birthday party.

She is doing a cute Disney lip balm and a scented shower gel.

ohiomom1121
11-12-2009, 03:33 PM
You'll want to find out about food allergies before you do the cookies.

With my son's peanut allergy, I would not trust that any food is safe.

But, I'm kinda weird about food favors. Unless I know the person extremely
well, I get nervous about eating their food favors. Maybe they let their cat walk
around their kitchen counters, maybe they cross-contaminated the food with
peanuts/peanut butter, maybe they sneezed into the cookie batter bowl, etc?

I trust my good friends but sometimes my kids are invited to school/preschool
parties and I don't know the parents very well.
:ROTFLMAO: I didn't think about that....I probably would have made DD pitch stuff that she got at a preschool party too. I think I will add them to the favors for the family party in a few weeks though. (BTW, I got the character lunch boxes from Lands End someone on here recommended on clearance for $5!) The Avon favors sound cute, but I definitely need something quick....

crl
11-12-2009, 03:33 PM
I've done

a nice ball all on it's own (ordered from kidsurplus)
a sand bucket with shovel, bubbles, sidewalk chalk, tattoos, mini-juice box and fruit leather (purchased at party store and grocery store)
bag decorated with sticker from the theme with markers, paper, stickers and fruit leather inside (party store bags, stickers on-line, food from trader joe's, markers at office supply store)
bag with nice plastic animals (target), mini-playdough containers (target), mini-juice box and fruit leather (whole foods)

I find art supplies can be pretty reasonable if you buy big packages and divide them up. Ditto things like tattoos--which DS LOVES to get.

DS is allergic to milk so the first thing I do after a party is confiscate his goody bag and take out all the food items he can't have (including anything without an ingredients label). So I'd hesitate to do homemade food unless you are sure there are no food allergies/restrictions.

Happy birthday to your daughter!
Catherine

SnuggleBuggles
11-12-2009, 04:05 PM
Every kid at ds1's party this year got a ball. Each cost about $1.50. The kids were thrilled. Sure, you could go to the party store and buy the little trinkets but I recommend something edible (like a cool lollipop or decorated cookie) or one simple, inexpensive toy. Another thought is to go to a place like half Priced Books and buy a big selection of books and let the kids pick one out. My friends did that this summer and they put a "thanks for coming to X's party!" sticker on the book. It was adorable and not very expensive.

Beth