PDA

View Full Version : baltimore (or nearby) moms??

JenaW
11-12-2009, 01:27 PM
We are considering an impromptu trip to Baltimore this weekend. Kind of insane (DH is in his manic phase, I think) since it would be a 6 hr drive, but DH has Monday off, so even though the kids don't, we could drive home late Sunday night. Our main goal is the aquarium. (Are there any discount tickets for that? I'm not seeing much online, so I am guessing not. For our family of 7 it's looking like it will cost around $130!). Is there anything else you strongly recommend we do, that is available on Sat or Sunday? Also, any hotel recs? We'd like to stay right in the Inner Harbor. Any strong food recs? We know there are several chain restaurants right there (Cheesecake Factory!) but is there anything else we should know about? Any other area attractions? We are coming from upstate NY. I've already mapped out Trader Joes and possibly Ikea, although we are packing a lot into a short weekend. Also, can anyone recommend a Catholic Church nearby? Of course I can (and will) look all this stuff up online, but I always appreciate insider info and BTDT tips and tricks!

TIA!
Jera

egoldber
11-12-2009, 01:31 PM
We really love the Maryland Science Center, which is directly across the Harbor from the Aquarium. There is also Port Discovery which is close to the Aquarium. I have never been, but I hear good things about Fort McHenry.

But if you are planning to drive home on Sunday from Baltimore, I would count on it possibly taking a very, very long time. If you plan to go up 95 and the Turnpike, that is about the most wretchedest stretch of interstate that ever was. You would be much better off driving up Monday after rush hour.

SASM
11-12-2009, 01:57 PM
But if you are planning to drive home on Sunday from Baltimore, I would count on it possibly taking a very, very long time. If you plan to go up 95 and the Turnpike, that is about the most wretchedest stretch of interstate that ever was. You would be much better off driving up Monday after rush hour.

J, This won't affect you...you will most likely be on 83N. The MD Science Center is what I was telling you about. :) Not Inner Harbor but yummy...in Canton there is a place called Nacho Mama's. It is a SMALL place that might not be able to accomodate a larger party unless you go early but they have incredibly yummy margaritas and, believe it or not, meatloaf! :) HUGE quesadillas, too. It is a tex mex place with a lively Elvis theme...entertaining for the kids to look around. Again not in Inner Harbor, but if you want some good "rustic" seafood, a favorite place of ours was Cantler's Inn in Annapolis...indoor picnic tables and very informal. I cannot really recc any places in the Inner Harbor as we usually avoided it d/t parking and prices. LOVE Cheesecake Factory, but you can get that at home. HAVE FUN!!!

jenny
11-12-2009, 02:03 PM
There are lots of places to eat around the inner habor since they're a mall right there.

But if you are going to be in Baltimore, and you want blue crab, you need to go to Obrekis.

lowrioh
11-12-2009, 02:18 PM
Port Discovery is really cool, especially if your kids are a little older.
I've stayed at the Tremont downtown for work. They are an all suite hotel and they are close to the Inner Harbor. You can also check booking.com to see if there are any good hotel deals.

Another option for driving is to take 83 up to 81 through PA. It is much less crowded than 95.

JenaW
11-12-2009, 02:54 PM
google maps has us taking 15 to 83, and it is pretty much a straight shot south for us. 81 is a bit out of the way and adds an extra 80 miles to the drive, although they gave us a route with that too.

I'd love blue crab, but DH and the kids are pretty anti-seafood, so I am afraid my best bet is to find a place that may have some, but not necessarily a seafood place :( I did bookmark the Obrycki's website though. Thanks for the suggestion. I may me able to sneak it in!

Has anyone been to the Science Center with young kids? Ours are 1yo (obviously she won't care about much of anything), 3, 4, 5, and 6 1/2. My son (6 1/2) I am sure would LOVE it, but DH is worried that it may be too "old" for the younger girls.

egoldber
11-12-2009, 02:57 PM
I love the Science Center specifically because it is VERY younger kid friendly. It's the only museum I will willingly take both kids by myself. :) Seriously, lots of hands on and they are very seriously laid back compared to many museums.

Also, there is a big Kid Room (I forget the exact name) that is fabulous for very young kids.

JenaW
11-12-2009, 03:06 PM
I love the Science Center specifically because it is VERY younger kid friendly. It's the only museum I will willingly take both kids by myself. :) Seriously, lots of hands on and they are very seriously laid back compared to many museums.

Also, there is a big Kid Room (I forget the exact name) that is fabulous for very young kids.

Thanks Beth! DH and I are both VERY into Science Centers, but he was steering me away from it because he was worried our kids were still too young. I will be passing this info along to him as soon as he returns my page :)

hellokitty
11-12-2009, 03:08 PM
Jera, if you have a membership to your local science center, it will probably get you into the science center by the harbor for free. I know that ours did and every time we travel, we've been able to get into other science centers around the US for free. The aquarium is nice, but pricey. They have a no stroller policy, they will, "trade" your stroller for a back carrier though. We wanted to go to the train museum too, but didn't have enough time to go.

Seitvonzu
11-12-2009, 03:08 PM
hrm... i'm probably in the minority-- but i don't actually care for the science center :( we went there before kids when my SIL's family was visiting (her, her husband, and theri 1.5 year old?) and it was just OKAY. i thought it was lots of money and the thing that looked the most fun (an extra exhibit on the CIRCUS) was 5 bucks extra. for that we could have gone to the aquarium, but the inlaws balked at the price -- hehe :)

i've heard good things about port discovery too. for some reason i thought that was for younger kids adn the science center was for older...shows what i know about baltimore!

i'm going to have to investigate this nacho mama's place-- i love a little elvis with my margaritas! (i'm from texas, and boy do i miss CHUYS!!!!!)

egoldber
11-12-2009, 03:22 PM
I think the "main audience" for the Science Center is probably elementary age, but it's very young child friendly. Amy is WILD and LOUD, but this museum is OK for her.

My kids will spend forever in the dinosaur section digging at the bones and doing the activities. The both love the Newtonian Mechanics area, again, lots of hands on stuff. And in the Space area there are the space suit dress-up, etc. And the Kid Room is just fabulous IMO.

Also, the planetarium has a 1 or 1:30 showing of "The Sky over Mr Rogers Neighborhood" which is geared to younger kids, is not as dark, and it's not a big deal if your kid isn't quiet.

hellokitty
11-12-2009, 03:33 PM
I agree, that the science center is geared more toward elementary aged kids, but like others said, it's very child friendly. Kids can be kids. We're used to COSI, which was voted #1 children's science center in the country and while the one in Baltimore wasn't as new and not as big as COSI, we still liked it. Every science center has different kinds of exhibits and hands on areas, we have enjoyed every single one we have ever been too, even if they are not brand new and flashy.

jse107
11-12-2009, 03:38 PM
We love the Science Center too, as it is very hands on. At Port Discovery, there is a HUGE climbing structure in the center that all kids (and most adults) have a great time with. Between the Aquarium and one of the museums, that's a pretty full weekend! Plan to spend at least 3-4 hours at the aquarium--if the kids make it that long! Five Guys is a very yummy hamburger and fries joint right near the aquarium. There is also a LARGE food court area that provides a nice break.

AAA offers (or did) discounts for the aquarium. It's not much, but every little bit helps!

JenaW
11-12-2009, 04:02 PM
Jera, if you have a membership to your local science center, it will probably get you into the science center by the harbor for free. I know that ours did and every time we travel, we've been able to get into other science centers around the US for free. The aquarium is nice, but pricey. They have a no stroller policy, they will, "trade" your stroller for a back carrier though. We wanted to go to the train museum too, but didn't have enough time to go.

Thanks for the "no-stroller" info. VERY good to know. We have a Kelty backpack that is very comfy, so I'll be sure to put that in the car.

Also, thanks for the train museum info. DS LOVES trains. We'll have to look that up.

JenaW
11-12-2009, 04:03 PM
Also, the planetarium has a 1 or 1:30 showing of "The Sky over Mr Rogers Neighborhood" which is geared to younger kids, is not as dark, and it's not a big deal if your kid isn't quiet.

That alone could make it worth it. Our older two have really wanted to do a planetarium, and we have on locally, but we have avoided it so far because of Natalie's sensory issues and Lexie's overall fear of the dark.

Jen841
11-12-2009, 04:51 PM
We did it last year with ages 1-10 and all had a fun time. It was a reciporcal to our local musuem so admission was free to our family as well as parking, and we tacked on a few guests (SIL family.)

By default we end up at Phillips when we meet up with friends there. It is easy with kids. I always want to do Tir Na Nog (sp) b/c I love the NYC location.

We did DC last weekend in less than 24 hours. Got a good deal via Priceline. Things there are cheap if not free. Not far from Baltimore. May want to split time between the two cities. Annapolis is fun too.

DC has Potbellys which is a personal favorite since we are recovering Chicagolanders.

The Aquarium we have not done for 4 + years, ready to do again. I was pregnant when we were there and it was crowded. I had a hard time keeping track of a 2 year old wanderer who would squeeze his way to the glass of each exhibit and I could not see him. My fear could be purely due to hormones at the time.

cottagemom
11-12-2009, 05:08 PM
The Baltimore Basilica is beautiful and has lots of interesting history.

http://www.baltimorebasilica.org/

SASM
11-12-2009, 07:10 PM
When we went to DC for DH's MCM we practically lived at Chipotle!! I soooo miss this place! There is a location on Pratt Street: http://www.chipotle.com/restaurants/map.asp?address=&city=Baltimore&state=MD&zip= Healthy FAST cheap food for a family of 7!

We also love Cosi but it doesn't look like it in is the Inner Harbor. Looks like it is around Johns Hopkins University. Yummy sandwiches and tableside Smores. :) http://www.getcosi.com/results.php

Unfortunately, totally OT as there isn't one in Baltimore, but knowing your love for Romano's you HAVE TO check out Maggiano's next summer or during a trip to DC. :) There is one in Chevy Chase (DC ~ If memory serves me correctly it is in the upscale Mazza Gallerie (mall) on the Red line of the Metro), Tyson's Galleria in VA, and Richmond (on the way to Williamsburg). :) LOVE this place...it is "upscale rustic" with family size servings...date for you and K if M&D come along to watch the kids or early dinner for everyone? :) You'd LOVE it!! http://maggianos.com/

MamaKath
11-12-2009, 07:48 PM
Jera,

I hope you guys have a great time! The aquarium is really neat!!! No strollers though, so prepare for that. If you do the dolphin show there, make sure you sit to the sides where the glass is. That way the kids can see the dolphins swimming under the water. I did not realize that the first time we saw it and dc hated it; you could barely track the dolphins because of the sparkly water surface and them jumping scared dc unbelievably!!!

We also like the Port Discovery Museum. It is a lot of fun. It has a huge climbing structure in the center. Great to get energy out!!! Definitely dress the kids in something bright (we always do gold or lime green) that you'll be able to visually track if you are going there.

Not much help on the eateries, sorry! Most of the time when we are there we eat at Mercy Hospital (http://www.mdmercy.com), or stop on the way home. As far as a Catholic church, the hospital is run by the Sisters of Mercy. They are wonderful! I don't know if they have serivces there, however I am sure the hospital could tell you of a mass in that area.

Blessings

hellokitty
11-12-2009, 11:10 PM
Oh, I wanted to clarify. When I said, "COSI" I didn't mean the restaurant. I meant the science center located in Columbus, OH.