PDA

View Full Version : stepped on Hot Wheels helicopter, pierced skin

deborah_r
11-12-2009, 02:30 PM
DH thinks I should get a tetanus shot. I think that's overkill. I stepped on a Hot Wheels helicopter - it has a skinny pointy part sticking straight up where the helicopter "blades" are meant to be (they fell off so there were no blades) - the helicopter was actually sticking out of my foot (this was through a pretty thick cotton sock). There was blood involved. What do you think? He says because it's metal I should get a tetanus shot. It is painted, but I can see spots where the paint has worn off in the area that pierced my foot.

m448
11-12-2009, 02:38 PM
unless the helicopter had previously been dipped in manure and once removed from your foot, you miraculously didn't bleed, there's no need for a tetanus shot. ;)

JBaxter
11-12-2009, 02:39 PM
The shot will NOT protect you against your current injury getting a vaccine after the injury wont help. Tetnus is anerobic ( sp) and as long as you clean it ( like with peroxide) and it bleeds your fine.

If your worried about future injuries then get the shot. They are good for at least 10 yrs some studies show 15. You will not get just a Tetnus shot. Most places only carry the Diptheria-tetnus- acellular pertuss vaccine.

SammyeGail
11-12-2009, 03:57 PM
Ouch!

I don't have advice on getting a shot, (ok, I personally don't think so) but when I was 9 I was playing with my (boy) cousin, we were running thru the house, I tripped and got one of his Transformers lodged in my knee. I still have a nice scar there today. It's about the size of a quarter.

Your story just reminded me of it, my mom didn't worry, but she was the type that had to see alot of blood, swelling, etc later to finally take you to the dr., lol. I was the youngest of 5, I think she'd seen everything.

MamaMolly
11-12-2009, 03:59 PM
IIWY I'd just go get one to be done with it. I had mine about 2 weeks ago. Better safe than sorry. I got the Tetanus only because I'm expecting, the TdP (with the pertussis) isn't considered safe. Maybe tell them you aren't sure? ;) Believe me stepping on the helicopter hurt a lot more than the vaccine :)