PDA

View Full Version : Comforters for kids? Down or other......deals

lilye13
11-12-2009, 03:05 PM
Hi all,
DS1 has decided he would like a comforter like 'yours'. Ours is a down one we picked up at costco a few years ago when we needed one immediately ( which has been fine EXCEPT allthe feather have migrated to one end grrr) so I am essentially clueless about any others kinds out there and other places to get them. Thing is I haven't seen any twin size ones there and then I got to wondering what others have done. I looked at Pottery Barn because we have some gift cards from there but wasn't sure if those are any good/worth the price. Then I saw that both Pottery Barn and Costco have these down alternative ones but don't know if there is one kind that is actually good or not. Any advice would be so very welcome!
Thanks!
Elizabeth

Momof3Labs
11-12-2009, 03:53 PM
We use throw-sized comforters on our kids' bunkbeds. Might be worth considering since a smaller down throw will be easier to wash than a bigger one - essential for kids. We actually use a down alternative one from Costco but you could find a down one instead, if you prefer that.

jhamman
11-12-2009, 04:17 PM
We've used the Pottery Barn Kids "Basic Comforter" (in the down alternative)
for a few years now, and it is holding up well.

lilye13
11-12-2009, 05:06 PM
We use throw-sized comforters on our kids' bunkbeds. Might be worth considering since a smaller down throw will be easier to wash than a bigger one - essential for kids. We actually use a down alternative one from Costco but you could find a down one instead, if you prefer that.

Great idea! I'll have to check it out next time we are there.
thanks!

lilye13
11-12-2009, 05:08 PM
We've used the Pottery Barn Kids "Basic Comforter" (in the down alternative)
for a few years now, and it is holding up well.

Thanks!
Can you tell that it is different than the down>>?
Have you cleaned it? How?

jhamman
11-12-2009, 05:44 PM
We have the "Toddler" sized down-alternative comforter from Pottery Barn Kids,
which was the right size for our toddler bed (which used a crib-sized mattress).

It is small enough to fit in our home washer & dryer,
and it always fluffs up nicely after washing
(we still use it as a TV-watching lap blanket in cold weather).

I'm not sure if the down-alternative is quite as warm as down,
but for $39, it was a good purchase for us.

hillview
11-12-2009, 07:59 PM
We got DS one at Target and it is washable. It was <100 and it keeps him very warm and if he pukes on it I can wash it :)
/hillary

daniele_ut
11-12-2009, 08:14 PM
We use a PBK quilt on DS's bed but it isn't warm enough for the winter, so I picked up a down comforter at Ikea, the Mysa Ronn I think, that has the highest warmth rating. The comforter was $50 and the duvet $15. We keep it folded at the end of his bed during the day and pull it up at night. It's REALLY warm.

MeyersDVM
11-12-2009, 08:27 PM
I purchased 3 twin sized down and feather comforters from IKEA this season. They were $19 each! I have been very pleased with them and have not noticed an excessive amount of feathers as compared to our other down comforters. For the toddler bed, I cut one in half after sewing two lines down the middle. A few feathers made it out, but then I overcast the edges and had two! They are the right width for a toddler bed, but a tad too long for the IKEA toddler sized duvet covers, but still fit and are extra squishy :)

ahisma
11-12-2009, 08:30 PM
I've been happy with down comforters from Overstock.com, for the price.

bubbaray
11-12-2009, 08:35 PM
DD#1 has a non-down duvet and cover from Ikea. We really like it. DD#2 will be getting one when she moves to a big-girl bed. I already have the cover for it.

doberbrat
11-12-2009, 10:46 PM
we also got a down alternative & cover from IKEA. cheap and apparently pretty warm. also easily washable which I think is crucial for kids.

neeleymartin
11-12-2009, 10:54 PM
For the toddler bed, I cut one in half after sewing two lines down the middle. A few feathers made it out, but then I overcast the edges and had two! They are the right width for a toddler bed, but a tad too long for the IKEA toddler sized duvet covers, but still fit and are extra squishy :)

that's a great idea. i think that i will do the same. what is overcasting?? i know how to sew on a machine, but the terms baffle me. in idiots terms please. tia

stefani
11-12-2009, 11:12 PM
DD#1 has a non-down duvet and cover from Ikea. We really like it. DD#2 will be getting one when she moves to a big-girl bed. I already have the cover for it.
:yeahthat:

DS has this:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00112875

in red and blue (one duvet, 2 covers, 2 pillow cases).

We really like it that we are going to get it for the other beds in the house (not the same cover of course, LOL).

WatchingThemGrow
11-12-2009, 11:44 PM
Did you look at The Company Store? I love their comforters, AND they are washable. The down doesn't shift b/c they have good interior stitching. The colors are fun too. If you call and ask, they have colors available that won't be on the website, and they'll likely be on sale. Their childrens' site has some nice ones too, but I love the spring/summer colors for kids' rooms.

neeleymartin
11-13-2009, 12:46 AM
Did you look at The Company Store? I love their comforters, AND they are washable. The down doesn't shift b/c they have good interior stitching. The colors are fun too. If you call and ask, they have colors available that won't be on the website, and they'll likely be on sale. Their childrens' site has some nice ones too, but I love the spring/summer colors for kids' rooms.

can you post a link? i have tried to find them but never had any luck.

MeyersDVM
11-13-2009, 08:13 AM
that's a great idea. i think that i will do the same. what is overcasting?? i know how to sew on a machine, but the terms baffle me. in idiots terms please. tia

I folded in half and marked with tailor's disappearing ink (you could also use pins). Then I tried as best I could to move the feathers away from that area. The comforters have baffle boxes (interior stitching) so you can only move them so far. Stitch close to this line on each side to keep the feathers in as best as possible. GO OUTSIDE and cut between the lines. This way your sewing room will hopefully not be overrun by errant feathers and down. Ask me how I know : ) Overcast stitch is as close to serging as my machine can do. It it similar to a complicated zig-zag stitch. If your machine can't overcast, do a wide zig zag stitch over the edge to finish the edge- it would be nearly impossible to make a hem here. HTH!

WatchingThemGrow
11-13-2009, 10:14 AM
can you post a link? i have tried to find them but never had any luck.
Kids version http://www.thecompanystore.com/parent/Bedding+Basic+Bedding/5003/CR76X_3/

adult colors (which we like better) http://www.thecompanystore.com/parent/Comforters+Down/3101/CX22X_02/ or look at the whole selection http://www.thecompanystore.com/dept/Comforters+Down/3101/1/listall/

We like the lighterweight ones, esp. the LaCrosse, St. Tropez and the Coverlet, although the coverlet is supersized (more like a bedspread). When you call, just ask what other colors they might have in the warehouse, and they'll tell you the leftovers from spring, summer etc. You can often pull the colors up on the website with their help.
The key is that their stuff is machine washable :) in addition to being soft.

ETA look on the coupon codes sticky and google for more. plus... aren't white sales in Jan.?

Leeannpk
11-13-2009, 11:11 AM
I've heard good things about the Ikea ones. DH's and mine is from the Company Store and still going strong after 10 years. I got the kids these from Overstock and we've been very pleased with them as well: http://tinyurl.com/yfcmq6q

A good down comforter should last and last, so it makes sense to spend a *little* more and not sacrifice quality. I am hoping that the ones we have for the kids will hold them through their teens, since we only use them for half the year. We cover them with flannel duvet covers and they are so toasty warm. I never hear complaints about being chilly and we keep our heat LOW at night - think 58 or 60 degrees.

The key to the feathers not shifting is to look for a comforter with baffles to hold them in place - the one's we have are stitched in squares, so shifting is not possible.

Have fun shopping :)

lilye13
11-14-2009, 12:41 AM
Wow what great advice. I forgot about the whole washing/puking etc factor. I am curious about Ikea but not sure when we will get there. Thanks so much for the info about Company Kids, always wanted to order from them but never could bring myself. Going ot see if DS1 likes any of the colors available when I call.
We, DH and I, now tend not to use duvet cover because they actually reduce the 'effectiveness' of the comforter in terms of keeping us warm, maintaining heat. Even a sheet in between takes away from it. Much warmer/cooler without a topsheet- just down comforter and then quilt or bedspread over. We found this when traveling in Europe.
Going to check out all these good tips and see what I find.Thanks again!