PDA

View Full Version : Middle of Night Wake-Up -- How to Stop it!

lmr1101
11-12-2009, 03:18 PM
Everyone has given me great advice in the past on other topics, so I'm hoping there are more good ideas out there...

My DD is 8 months, she had been a great night sleeper. Starting around 4-5 months she would sleep from 7pm-5:30-6am each night and not even wake for a feeding.... well that has changed.
Since about 7 months she's been waking up sometime between 11pm and 1am. We finally get her back to sleep and then she sleeps until about 6am. My question is, how do we get her to stop waking in the middle of the night? I know she's not hungry and I really don't want to be the one to go in her room or then she'll think it's dinner time (I'm still BF).
Do we let her CIO? This started as soon as she started to crawl and also learn to pull herself up in her crib. Now I go in there and she is standing just screaming.
I would really like her to sleep through night again. (am I just expecting too much at 8 months?)

Thanks for any advice you may have.

nj03
11-15-2009, 11:30 AM
If you change DD to DS, then this is what I was going to post. I joined to find help with sleep issues. Exact same age, started at the same time, he is also still BF, same original sleeping schedule. It made me feel good to read your post. My DS has 7 teeth, so I think that could be part of the issue with the waking. I also know they start the separation anxiety at this point as well. I would appreciate any suggestions anyone has on this.

SnuggleBuggles
11-15-2009, 11:40 AM
It's hard to say for sure she isn't hungry. My ds went through a 1.5 week long growth spurt at 9m and the only thing that got him back to sleep was food (nursing and a snack!).

I agree with pp too that separation anxiety starts to show at this age and it's very normal to encounter sleep troubles.

Also, you mentioned pulling to a stand- can she get back down easily? Perhaps she is feeling stuck once she gets up?

Honestly, I don't expect a baby to sleep through the night. If they do- great, you are lucky! :) But, middle of the night wake ups are more common than babies that sleep through the night. The first 18m is a series of physical and emotional milestones that can at any time mess with a sleep pattern.

I'd personally nurse at least one of those times. If she still won't sleep then you can consider your job done and send someone else in (if that is an option). Check for things like if she seems cold or there is something else possibly disrupting her sleep. Otherwise, try to remember that all infant sleep is a phase- there will be good phases and bad but neither lasts forever.

Beth