PDA

View Full Version : Tell me again about parabens and pthalates

maestramommy
11-12-2009, 03:23 PM
I just bought a new tube of Desitin for Laurel and I see that it has methylparabens listed as an inactive ingredient:irked: So now I will be taking it back to Target and looking for another zinc oxide based diaper creme that is very gentle on skin. But this brings me to my questions:

1) What is the problem with parabens again? Are they the chemical that act as estrogen imitators?

2) What are phthalates and what is the problem with them? And they aren't called phthalates when you look at the ingredients list of personal care products because I can never find that word. What are they called?

TIA!

brittone2
11-12-2009, 03:33 PM
Both are hormone disruptors.

Phthalates will not be listed in most cases as an ingredient. They are often a component of the generic ingredient "fragrance" in personal care products, home scent products, etc. Many/most synthetic fragrances contain phthalates (and they are also present in PVC where they are used as stablizers, as well as in a few other places like most commerical nailpolish brands, etc.). If you use a 100% essential-oil based fragrance, there won't be phthalates.

http://www.ewg.org/chemindex/term/480
http://www.ewg.org/chemindex/term/563

nice little summary here on phthalates (and a few other similar concerns):
http://www.newsweek.com/id/105588/page/1

maestramommy
11-12-2009, 03:42 PM
Thanks Beth! BTW, would you happen to have a rec for zinc oxide based diaper creme that doesn't have parabens or phthalates? Laurel gets a rashy bum every time she poops unless she's coated in diaper creme.

brittone2
11-12-2009, 04:05 PM
Not sure if you are CDing, and no personal recommendations (we haven't really used much diaper cream through the years), but you could check the Skin Deep database. I just did a quick look and there's one with a good rating from Rite Aid and I don't see any parabens in the ingredient list. It also specifies that the particles are not nano-sized.

http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/product/242928/Rite_Aid_Zinc_Oxide%2C_Ointment%2C_USP/

You can look around their site to see if any of the other creams would be a better fit for what you are looking for. They list the ingredients for each product.

maestramommy
11-12-2009, 04:29 PM
Actually I AM CDing, and in a few months I'll probably ask what to do about all the diaper creme that's stuck to my diapers:p I know it's not good to use with CDs but I don't know what else to do. Zinc oxide based creme works great for healing and preventing rash on Laurel.

JBaxter
11-12-2009, 04:33 PM
Melinda

Go to the craft or fabric store and buy some cheep fleece. Cut it into rectangles to make liners. It will keep the zinc oxide from getting onto the diapers. You can wash them and resuse.

maestramommy
11-12-2009, 04:43 PM
Melinda

Go to the craft or fabric store and buy some cheep fleece. Cut it into rectangles to make liners. It will keep the zinc oxide from getting onto the diapers. You can wash them and resuse.

Oh, is that why people do that? And since you probably know the answer to this next question: What happens to the dipes when zinc oxide gets on them? Just looks bad, or does it affect performance? I use prefolds AND pockets/AIOs that have the fleece liner.

I have a ton of microfiber towels I bought, so I'll use them as liners. Thanks for the suggestion!

o_mom
11-12-2009, 04:56 PM
Oh, is that why people do that? And since you probably know the answer to this next question: What happens to the dipes when zinc oxide gets on them? Just looks bad, or does it affect performance? I use prefolds AND pockets/AIOs that have the fleece liner.

I have a ton of microfiber towels I bought, so I'll use them as liners. Thanks for the suggestion!

You don't want microfiber next to the skin as it can be very irritating. It is great as a soaker, but always needs another layer between it and the skin.

maestramommy
11-12-2009, 04:57 PM
You don't want microfiber next to the skin as it can be very irritating. It is great as a soaker, but always needs another layer between it and the skin.
Oh. rats. I was hoping to be able to use the rest of the towels in the pack:p

chozen
11-12-2009, 05:07 PM
the plan not scented stuff, i think that it is safe and it is cheap.:)

AnnieW625
11-12-2009, 05:11 PM
We had really good luck with Butt Paste. It is a zinc oxide based ointment. I don't know about the effects it has on cloth diapers, but my friend who is in the biz of cloth diapers said for the fancy all in one diapers don't use the regular diaper rash cream. Now for prefolds w/ a separate cover I wouldn't hesitate because it's been done that way as long as there has been cloth pre fold diapers. Hope Laurel's rash gets better soon.

Butt Paste,
http://www.buttpaste.com/BLButtPaste.php

heatherandlouis
11-12-2009, 05:22 PM
Taget carries an all natural Butt Past, California Baby, and Burt's Bees diaper cream. Why do you need to use a cream? We cloth diaper and my son never gets a rash.

m448
11-12-2009, 05:33 PM
zinc oxide is the soothing component, none of the extra stuff in the lotion. A while back I made some zinc oxide sunscreen with some micronized zinc oxide I bought at Garden of Wisdom (best price I found). After summer ended I've found the best use for it is as a diaper cream and I CD as well. Mine was a simple water/jojoba lotion emulsion with the zinc oxide added in last. My kids love how soothing it is. I don't see why you couldn't just buy a simple natural lotion and add the micronized zinc oxide. Same thing and you know what's in it.

JBaxter
11-12-2009, 05:43 PM
Zinc effects performace BIG TIME. Not so much with prefolds but with pockets. Keep the zinc off the pockets :) Anything will work as a liner... old flannel sheet cut up old fleece receiving blankets old fleece throw blankets etc.

Strip your pockets with Dawn.. If you are noticing alot of marking from the zinc take a little scrub brush with some dawn and scrub it a bit.

I use microfiber towels as stuffers in my pockets but as the PP said you dont want microfiber right next to the baby bum.

m448
11-12-2009, 05:59 PM
I thought the fish oil (sometimes cod liver oil) is the issue with most mainstream zo creams and cloth diapers. Using my homemade stuff I had no buildup (I use fleece liners that I just cup up and lay in the diapers as the last layer).

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
11-12-2009, 06:37 PM
I used jojoba oil on my DD's booty. Worked awesome, and oil comes out of diapers easier. Burt's Bees makes one, too.

teedeedee
11-12-2009, 06:59 PM
I need to do my homework on this apparently, because I had no idea it was a problem. But my DD just had wicked diaper rash and the dr. told me to go to the pharmacy counter and get Calmoseptine. (It's not a prescription, but is only at the pharm counter for some reason). That stuff is AMAZING. DD had diarrhea for 2 weeks...and it cleared up the rash and prevented more- all while she still had the diarrhea.

BUT, I'm not sure about the contents so I'll be checking, but if it's ok- I'd highly recc!

Tondi G
11-12-2009, 07:19 PM
Weleda maybe?

Ingredients: Active ingredients: Zinc oxide 12%. Inactive ingredients: Beeswax, benzyl benzoate, benzyl salicylate, calendula flower extract, chamomile flower extract, geraniol, glyceryl linoleate, hectorite, lanolin, limonene, linalool, sweet almond oil, sesame seed oil, water.

http://usa.weleda.com/our-products/shop/calendula-diaper-care.aspx

ett
11-12-2009, 10:37 PM
Triple paste has worked well for us here.