PDA

View Full Version : Vaccine Poll: What are your thoughts on vaccines?

arivecchi
11-12-2009, 04:16 PM
All the debate about the H1N1 vax has me wondering what most posters here believe in. I am curious to find out what people here think about vaccines. I don't mean to start a debate, just wondering how the percentages break out.

arivecchi
11-12-2009, 09:24 PM
Interesting results. Check them out if you haven't!

11-12-2009, 09:32 PM
I'm the other. I delayed 2 of DD2s 6 month shots because the office had preservative free H1N1 vax in stock and I didn't want to overload her immune system. We'll gradually catch up. I had to do the same with DD1 b/c she had a low-grade fever at her 12month appointment

bubbaray
11-12-2009, 09:44 PM
I voted that I vax on schedule. DD#2, however, we had to delay her 12m vax's due to an anaphylactic reaction (not to any vax). Our dr's d/n want to continue vax's (even ones she had previously tolerated just fine) until her allergy testing was conducted.

ZeeBaby
11-12-2009, 09:47 PM
We delayed some of the vaxes, but got h1n1.

MamaMolly
11-12-2009, 09:53 PM
I voted that we vax on schedule, but I might have voted other. Because of DH's work we move and he travels all over the world. To some really $hitastic places. In our current home we must only drink and prepare food with water from the distiller, for example. So we vax the daylights out of ourselves. Way more than most Americans, I'd guess. But if he had a more traditional job I'd probably have gone for delayed vax.

And I just want to give props to all the mamas and papas on this board who have shared their thoughts and opinions on the matter over the last few years. I knew *nothing* about the subject before I hung out on this board, and even if I don't agree with a poster's philosophy or choices it has really helped me think it over, read a lot of research and make informed decisions for my family. And helped me to keep my big trap shut IRL when a friend or (gulp!) colleague has made different choices. ;)

ett
11-12-2009, 10:53 PM
I voted other because while we vax on schedule, I did delay the chicken pox shot with both DS's and the MMR shot with DS2. We also didn't do the rotavirus shot.

egoldber
11-12-2009, 11:02 PM
I also voted other because while I generally vax on schedule, I skip many of the "optional" vaxes (rotavirus, Prevnar, and the new CP booster). Generally we pass on the seasonal flu, but got it the year Amy was born at 34 weeks. And the kids just got H1N1 vaxes, but DH and I don't plan to get it. I may get Amy a second dose, but I don't plan to get Sarah a second dose this year.

I do think they give too many at one time, but I also understand why they feel like they have to do it that way, and I am conflicted about it.

srhs
11-12-2009, 11:23 PM
I voted delayed/alternative. We will be starting DS1's soon...
if only I could find an informed/helpful pedi (sigh). Around here, it's either "complete-CDC-schedule-or-find-another-doc" or "well, if that's what you want to do." I'd love to find someone with whom I could share our concerns, priorities, etc. and then tailor a schedule we can agree on.

sunshine873
11-12-2009, 11:27 PM
Interesting results! Based on what I normally read on this board, I thought a lot more people were delaying vax or skipping them all together.

kijip
11-13-2009, 12:57 AM
Personal opinion? Vaccines are the greatest advancement of public health in a century, second to adequate sanitation.

I have a very much you do what you do, I do what I do approach to this but I feel 100% as strongely for pretty much all vaccines as those who don't vax or vax selectively feel about their position. I read research, read books highly critical of vaccines and attended a class pro and a class skeptical of vaccines and drew my own conclusions. I do get irritated when the assumption is made (generally, in my circle not specifically on BBB) that pro-vax families are just mindlessly following and not educating themselves. I don't believe that to be the case, anymore than every delayed or no vax family is super educated on the issue. Many are not.

brandonsmom
11-13-2009, 04:12 AM
The more you research them, the more scared you get of what they do to your body. I was just like all of you once, so trusting, so naive...in fact, I tried really hard to convince myself I was a good mom for getting them. The truth was though, I took my kids in and let the doctors and nurses experiment on them. There is SOOOO much evidence that they cause harm.

I went from:

Provaccine - protect my kid to
Green our Vaccines - why is all that crap in there? to
Antivaccine - keep those vaccines away from my kids!

It's amazing what the truth does to you.

I am here on a mission, I want you to know the truth. My kids were harmed from vaccines and I don't want yours to be. I will spend my life helping the kids that are harmed and telling people what I know so that they don't harm their kids. If you love your kids don't get them vaccinated, it's poison. There is no proof that they work anyway.

klwa
11-13-2009, 07:54 AM
I thought more were delaying, too. I guess a lot of us who are sticking to the schedule just don't feel up to posting when the questions arise....

egoldber
11-13-2009, 07:58 AM
If someone posts a "I want to delay, can you tell me why you do/what's your schedule, etc." then someone who vaxes according to the schedule wouldn't have a lot to contribute. :) So I think those threads are fairly self selecting.

But I agree that it can create a perception that a lot more people are not following the AAP/CDC schedule when most actually are.

Happy 2B mommy
11-13-2009, 08:04 AM
I voted other. DD was/is vaccinated on schedule. I am more selective with DS.

MoJo
11-13-2009, 08:13 AM
I voted "on schedule," even though I delayed her newborn vax to her 2 week or 1 month well check, skipped the flu shot altogether last year (they didn't even say she should get one), and decided that I wasn't going to get both her seasonal flu booster AND the H1N1 on the same day this week, even though both the CDC and her ped said I could/should.

Basically, we're on schedule. I agonized over the flu shots more than most of it. I'm thankful for all I read here because it definitely helps me make more informed decisions.

wellyes
11-13-2009, 09:11 AM
Personal opinion? Vaccines are the greatest advancement of public health in a century, second to adequate sanitation.

I have a very much you do what you do, I do what I do approach to this but I feel 100% as strongely for pretty much all vaccines as those who don't vax or vax selectively feel about their position. I read research, read books highly critical of vaccines and attended a class pro and a class skeptical of vaccines and drew my own conclusions. I do get irritated when the assumption is made (generally, in my circle not specifically on BBB) that pro-vax families are just mindlessly following and not educating themselves. I don't believe that to be the case, anymore than every delayed or no vax family is super educated on the issue. Many are not.

Amen, sister.

Thanks for this thread, ariveraz (http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/member.php?u=6731), it's illuminating!

If someone posts a "I want to delay, can you tell me why you do/what's your schedule, etc." then someone who vaxes according to the schedule wouldn't have a lot to contribute. :) So I think those threads are fairly self selecting.

That's a good point. I vax on schedule but I certainly wouldn't preach to someone who wants to delay, so I wouldn't reply to those threads. And it can be confusing topic, no question, so there's a lot to figure out and discuss if you do delay. I liken it to cloth diapering...... most people don't, but those who do have a lot to figure out: what kind to buy, how to store when soiled, how to launder, etc. There's whole boards devoted to it (I do CD, myself) but they really represent a small minority of parents.

wendibird22
11-13-2009, 09:37 AM
I voted delayed. We actually started DD1 on the recommended schedule because I had read nothing about vaccines and just naively followed along. Then I read Dr. Sear's book when DD was 6mos old and decided to start spreading them out from that point forward. She does get the seasonal flu shot and did get the H1N1. With DD2 (due in Dec.) I plan to follow the Sear's delayed schedule. I will also waive the Hep B shot offered immediately after her birth. I didn't do this with DD1 and she ended up with 4 doses instead of the required 3 because it's part of a combo vax at her ped's. Had I known that she would get the required 3 at the ped's, I'd have skipped the one at the hospital.

What really got me personally was that I read so many baby and pregnancy books, took childbirth class, took breastfeeding class, all to educated myself as a new parent and yet I did no reading/research about vaccines. I felt dumb for not being as equally informed about the things being injected into my child.

That said, like others here I believe it is such a highly personal decision and what's right for me/my family is not necessarily right for others. I believe, overall, in the benefits of vaccines and the public health derived from herd immunity. But, I don't pass judgement on anyone who doesn't share that opinion.

mommylamb
11-13-2009, 09:45 AM

:yeahthat: And I think that proselytizing about why it is irresponsible to vax your kids is just as offensive as proselytizing that one is irresponsible to not vax kids because of the public health implications. People make decisions based on what they think is best, and I find it wrong to imply that my decision to vax my children means that I'm not well informed. There is a lot of information out there, and it's my opinion that the more credible sources support vaccines. JMHO, but I don't like it when someone says that I"m just uninformed.

Puddy73
11-13-2009, 09:52 AM
We are pretty much on schedule. Our ped uses a slightly delayed schedule that spaces out the various vaccines more than the standard AAP schedule. We have not had the H1N1 vax but probably will if it becomes available in our area soon.

JElaineB
11-13-2009, 10:08 AM

:yeahthat: And I think that proselytizing about why it is irresponsible to vax your kids is just as offensive as proselytizing that one is irresponsible to not vax kids because of the public health implications. People make decisions based on what they think is best, and I find it wrong to imply that my decision to vax my children means that I'm not well informed. There is a lot of information out there, and it's my opinion that the more credible sources support vaccines. JMHO, but I don't like it when someone says that I"m just uninformed.

Agree with both of these comments. I think someone who is new to this board may not realize how highly educated the women (and some men :p) are on this board and that I am certain nearly every parent here has made an informed decision regarding whether to give their child vaccines. I do think vaccine injury is real in some cases, but not every child is prone to injury owing to vaccination, so it is disingenuous to act as if that is the case. There are other boards out there that are more reactive to this issue, but I think you will find that mothers on this board are not going to be swayed by someone else's mission; they will form their own opinon based on the best research and information available.

JBaxter
11-13-2009, 10:45 AM
It is a choice and I think if your child, relative or close friend has a bad reaction to a vaccine it makes you start to question things. One of my ones had a reaction that I didnt realize was a reaction to years later ( hair fell out in clumps and developed ezema at the same time) Looking back I knew what group of vaccines it was. I did vaccinate on schedule till Nathan was 15 months and stopped verbilizing. It scared me. Jack is very very selectively vaccinated and we did not start till he was 1 yr old. I had a friend whos son had a very bad reaction to the MMR/chicken pox vax ( classic regressive ).

Had I not had these experiences I would still be vaccinating on schedule. I dont believe vaccines are evil my issues are with the amount given and when.

wellyes
11-13-2009, 11:34 AM
What really got me personally was that I read so many baby and pregnancy books, took childbirth class, took breastfeeding class, all to educated myself as a new parent and yet I did no reading/research about vaccines. I felt dumb for not being as equally informed about the things being injected into my child.I absolutely agree about the importance of being informed but - for the sake of argument ...... when you take a breastfeeding class or childbirth class, it is typically through the office of, or at least at the advice of, your OB. The class consists of information based on those most experienced in the field of childbirth and breastfeeding. If you took a vaxing class, it would be based on the same thing -- and would almost certainly advise you to vax on schedule. Every city in America has hundreds of experienced, educated, well-informed, child-loving pediatricians who recommend vaxing on schedule. To me, Dr Sear's recommendations to delay/selectively vax, while certainly valid, do not automatically outweigh the advice of the consensus of the vast majority of his peers in pediatrics.

arivecchi
11-13-2009, 11:44 AM
Agree with both of these comments. I think someone who is new to this board may not realize how highly educated the women (and some men :p) are on this board and that I am certain nearly every parent here has made an informed decision regarding whether to give their child vaccines. I do think vaccine injury is real in some cases, but not every child is prone to injury owing to vaccination, so it is disingenuous to act as if that is the case. There are other boards out there that are more reactive to this issue, but I think you will find that mothers on this board are not going to be swayed by someone else's mission; they will form their own opinon based on the best research and information available. Could not agree with you or the two posters you quoted more. I welcome different viewpoints, but do not appreciate the implication that there is something I am not understanding because I do not agree with others. Like mommylamb said, the vast majority of credible scientific sources (IMO) recommend vaccination and those are the sources I trust. if you believe in something else, that is totally fine by me. I am not saying you are incorrect, but do not imply that I am irresponsible because I reach a different conclusion.

arivecchi
11-13-2009, 11:46 AM
Thanks for this thread, ariveraz (http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/member.php?u=6731), it's illuminating! You are so welcome! :D

Sorry everyone for the typo in the poll. I type too fast at times and don't proofread. :6:

srhs
11-13-2009, 11:48 AM
It is a choice and I think if your child, relative or close friend has a bad reaction to a vaccine it makes you start to question things. One of my ones had a reaction that I didnt realize was a reaction to years later ( hair fell out in clumps and developed ezema at the same time) Looking back I knew what group of vaccines it was. I did vaccinate on schedule till Nathan was 15 months and stopped verbilizing. It scared me. Jack is very very selectively vaccinated and we did not start till he was 1 yr old. I had a friend whos son had a very bad reaction to the MMR/chicken pox vax ( classic regressive ).

Had I not had these experiences I would still be vaccinating on schedule. I dont believe vaccines are evil my issues are with the amount given and when.
Absolutely! Especially if that child is a blood relative.

wendibird22
11-13-2009, 11:50 AM
I absolutely agree about the importance of being informed but - for the sake of argument ...... when you take a breastfeeding class or childbirth class, it is typically through the office of, or at least at the advice of, your OB. The class consists of information based on those most experienced in the field of childbirth and breastfeeding. If you took a vaxing class, it would be based on the same thing -- and would almost certainly advise you to vax on schedule. Every city in America has hundreds of experienced, educated, well-informed, child-loving pediatricians who recommend vaxing on schedule. To me, Dr Sear's recommendations to delay/selectively vax, while certainly valid, do not automatically outweigh the advice of the consensus of the vast majority of his peers in pediatrics.

Agreed. It just really struck me that I hadn't even considered educating myself about vaccines until I started reading discussion here and on another board. I valued making informed decisions about so many other aspects of my child's care and making informed decisions about vaccines wasn't even on my radar for the first 6mos of her life. I researched car seats in far greater detail!

The Sear's book and his views is just one of many, many resources out there that I had no idea existed. It just never dawned on me that it might be important/beneficial to know what a vaccine was created to protect from, what that virus/illness is, what's in the vaccine, what the side effects can be, and the pros/cons of getting/not getting a particular vax are. Even if you don't look at Sear's recommended schedule, I find the info about each vax and the related illness very enlightening. I just wish someone had clued me in to getting informed before DD was born just like they clued me in to by the Baby Bargains book!

srhs
11-13-2009, 12:03 PM
Agreed. It just really struck me that I hadn't even considered educating myself about vaccines until I started reading discussion here and on another board. I valued making informed decisions about so many other aspects of my child's care and making informed decisions about vaccines wasn't even on my radar for the first 6mos of her life. I researched car seats in far greater detail!

The Sear's book and his views is just one of many, many resources out there that I had no idea existed. It just never dawned on me that it might be important/beneficial to know what a vaccine was created to protect from, what that virus/illness is, what's in the vaccine, what the side effects can be, and the pros/cons of getting/not getting a particular vax are. Even if you don't look at Sear's recommended schedule, I find the info about each vax and the related illness very enlightening. I just wish someone had clued me in to getting informed before DD was born just like they clued me in to by the Baby Bargains book!
I agree. I don't really see parents even being encouraged to educate themselves, ya know? I actually mentioned the Dr Sears book to a pedi who then replied, "Dr. ___ (another one in that office) has that one. I should read it." :47: Um, don't you (pedi) already KNOW everything in it regarding these vaccines? I thought that book was just for the rest of us...ya know...the ones without medical degrees.

egoldber
11-13-2009, 12:04 PM
experienced, educated, well-informed, child-loving pediatricians who recommend vaxing on schedule

I've got to admit, that while I vax (mostly) on schedule, I don't think I buy this. There are a lot of pretty poorly informed peds out there (and I think breastfeeding is a great example of this...). I think most peds recommend the CDC schedule because, well, it's the CDC schedule.

The CDC is a public health organization. Their goal is to improve overall public health. They developed the current vax schedule to maximize the number of vaxes given when parents are most commited to bringing their children to the doctor, that is during the first two years of life.

After a child turns two, they are FAR less likely to be taken in for their well child visits. Also after age 2, there are far fewer peds visits that are paid for by insurance. Which means the likelihood that they will be brought in for extra visits only for vaxes is pretty small for many (most?) people.

There is no particular reason that many of the vaxes on the schedule need to be given during that first two years time frame. It's an opportunity/public health benefit decision.

It also bothers me that the CDC gets a lot of intense pressure from pharmaceuticals to add vaxes to the schedule without necessarily a clearly demonstrated need.

arivecchi
11-13-2009, 12:30 PM
From the following link:

http://www.aap.org/healthtopics/Immunizations.cfm

The 2009 Recommended Childhood and adolescent Immunization Schedules were approved by the American Academy of Pediatrics, the Advisory Committee on Immunizations Practices of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and the American Academy of Family Physicians.

Moneypenny
11-13-2009, 12:50 PM
Every city in America has hundreds of experienced, educated, well-informed, child-loving pediatricians who recommend vaxing on schedule.

DD has seen three peds in her life, and they all have recommended a delayed schedule, and we most definitely were not searching for peds with that viewpoint. DH and I never even questioned vaccinations until the ped in the hospital said he saw no reason to give newborns the Hep B vax, so we needed to ask our regular ped to do it once we got out of the hospital. Then our regular ped said he saw no reason to give newborns a Hep B vax right away, so if we were okay with it, let's wait a few months. Then the other ped in the same practice said she saw no reason to give most children four vaxes at once so how would we feel about spreading them out a bit. That's the point at which DH and I did some research.

I will say I think most vaxes are generally a very positive thing for most children's health and for society as a whole, I just find the administration of them problematic.

mommylamb
11-13-2009, 01:00 PM
I vax on schedule because DS has done well with his vaccines (never so much as a fever), but I totally understand why some people would choose to stretch out the schedule, especially for certain vaccines like HepB. I think peds should be willing to work with parents on these things rather than a my way or the highway approach. I never talked to my ped about spacing ours out, but DS has always done well with them.

codex57
11-13-2009, 01:23 PM
Delayed one a bit, but generally on schedule.

brittone2
11-13-2009, 01:51 PM
From the following link:

http://www.aap.org/healthtopics/Immunizations.cfm

The 2009 Recommended Childhood and adolescent Immunization Schedules were approved by the American Academy of Pediatrics, the Advisory Committee on Immunizations Practices of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and the American Academy of Family Physicians.

I think for me, a major problem are the conflicts of interest within these agencies.

For example, Dr. Offit sitting on the ACIP while being a paid consultant to Merck and a vaccine patent holder himself.

Half of the FDA's drug review funding comes from the pharma industry.

In addition to my concerns about ethics within the agencies, pharma companies engage in "medical ghostwriting"...drafting a paper and then having a supposedly independent academic researcher submit the paper to journals.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/05/health/research/05ghost.html?_r=1&ref=business
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/19/health/research/19ethics.html
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/18/business/18ghost.html

It doesn't breed trust IMO, regardless of where a parent personally comes down in terms of for/against vaccinating on schedule.

alexsmommy
11-13-2009, 02:41 PM
I do worry about overload to the immune system, so I semi-delay vax, no more than one shot at a time, and I will skip something that hasn't been out very long. Generally, my kids ultimately get all the recommended vax's by school age. DS2 is 2.5 and he'll be caught up to most 2 year olds by age 3.

SnuggleBuggles
11-13-2009, 03:41 PM
I agree. I don't really see parents even being encouraged to educate themselves, ya know? I actually mentioned the Dr Sears book to a pedi who then replied, "Dr. ___ (another one in that office) has that one. I should read it." :47: Um, don't you (pedi) already KNOW everything in it regarding these vaccines? I thought that book was just for the rest of us...ya know...the ones without medical degrees.

I doubt he is reading it to learn more about vaccines but to better understand what his patients will be coming in to discuss if they read that book. They can take what Sears says and take what they know and give parents a more thorough assessment of things. I think that Dr.s just want to be aware of what rumblings and talk going out there with the parents. That was the impression that I got from my ped at least- they wanted to know if there were hot button issues they may need to be prepared to talk about.

Beth

codex57
11-13-2009, 03:48 PM

Just cuz they have a degree doesn't mean they're that knowledgeable or keep up. Scrubs makes great fun of this.

From having lots of friends and relatives as doctors, I also know it to be true in real life from personal experience. It's not just doctors, but the most glaring example of teh diff btw book smart and street smart came from a couple of doctors I know. Docs need both.

crazydiamond
11-13-2009, 04:04 PM
Mostly following the Dr. Sears delayed (spread out) schedule. It means more trips for just one/two shots at a time, but that's okay with us.

daisymommy
11-13-2009, 05:33 PM
DS 1: Vaxed on schedule for everything under the sun. In my eyes at the time, I felt like it was awesome he could be protected from so many things. Now he is on the spectrum.

DD and DS2: No vaxes.

babybunny
11-13-2009, 08:03 PM
Voted other because we VAX generally as recommended. But spread out the Vaccines.....have delayed first hepatitis shot, look for preservative free shots when available, consider where we are travelling, etc. I also had his blood work done to see if he was immune to CP and MMR before giving the booster shots.

Gena
11-13-2009, 08:38 PM

I agree with this. DS has pretty much ben vaxed on schedule, with a little wiggle room on a few of them.

I believe that every family should study the vaccines question and do what they believe is best. DH and I looked at this issue carefully and in the end, decided that vaccines are right for us. I know that many people who choose not to vax feel that the vaccine-preventable diseases are mild and not a major health threat for most individuals. And while that may be true, I believe that you cannot predict with any certainty who will get a mild case and who will have serious complications. My aunt has life-long health problems as a result of having polio as a child. Another relative had a stillborn child due to rubella. And my father told me about his childhood classmate who never came back to school after getting the measles. (Dad doesn't know any details.)

I also don't appreciate when people assume that families who vax didn't study the issue and are uninformed. Or that my child is autism is "damaged" by vaccines. DS was born with autism. He is different, but he is definately not damaged.

wellyes
11-13-2009, 08:49 PM

I agree with the PP, he's probably wanting to read it so to keep up with what his patients are asking him, not to learn about vaccines. Sears' book is written for laymen.

hillview
11-13-2009, 08:52 PM
We vax mainly on schedule. We've researched. We've talked to a range of people. DH is a scientist who works on medicine and is anti antibiotics virtually 100% of the time and anti tylenol etc. I did delay DS #1 (just spread them out over a couple of visits). With DS #2 we did them all together because there was just so much going on and I thought it was important he get the vax more on time with DS #1 in preschool. I TOTALLY respect other opinions AND I it upsets me when I feel like someone is judging me with a post that suggests I am not informed beacuse someone else looked at same/similar information and made a different decision.
/hillary

PS Now I feel better ;)

crl
11-14-2009, 02:44 AM
I voted on schedule. But DS was adopted from China and came home at 14 months. He had been vaxed in China and we had the records. Most peds recommend revaxing on the theory that you don't know if the vacines were stored properly, not past expiration date, etc. (Not sure if the CDC has a position on this.) I requested titers instead and my ped agreed. So we did avoid re-vaxing.

(And I've been surprised that it was actually a hassle at one public school. The nurse just couldn't get that we had titers done instead of re-vaxing, despite a doctor's note explaining. I finally provided her with a copy of the originial shot record, in Chinese. She stopped bothering me then, though I rather doubt she could read it.)

Catherine

smilequeen
11-14-2009, 03:22 AM
I do believe in vaccines. I do not agree with the reccommended schedule. We almost fully vax our boys, but I used an alternate schedule and there were a few we skipped. I also totally understand both extremes and I enjoy listening to peoples reasoning/thought process.

LMPC
11-14-2009, 08:27 AM
I voted that we delayed....wasn't planning on delaying but DD's 12 mo shots corresponded with her getting the seasonal and the H1N1 shots. Just spread the love out a bit so it wasn't so much at one time. I am definitely pro-vaccine.

Just wanted to add that I think it's a personal decision to vax your kids or not.

lchang25000
11-14-2009, 12:24 PM

:yeahthat:We vax on schedule.

SnuggleBuggles
11-14-2009, 12:33 PM
Ds1 was on time with almost all (waited till 2m to start Hep. B, did chicken pox a few months late and skipped Rotavirus, if it was available back then).

We delay and are selective with ds2. But, we do do most of them. For the most part ds2 has gotten vaccines roughly on schedule but I will not give him more than 2 shots at a time. I do not feel comfortable with him getting 4-5 at a time. My insurance and Dr.'s office don't charge for a vaccine only appointment so he will get 2 shots then go back a few weeks later and get the other 2. It makes me feel more comfortable because if there is a reaction we can trace it more easily and I feel like it is less strain of his body to space them out.

For people who might remember my vaccine/ preschool quandary since I was waiting a bit for MMR but preschool was requiring it- it all worked out because the flu and MMR should be spread out and the school preferred him to get the flu instead. So, to have the adequate spacing it all worked out to my personal ideal.

I'm grateful for all of the information out there that can help me make an informed decision for my kids.

Beth

brandonsmom
11-18-2009, 03:27 AM
DS 1: Vaxed on schedule for everything under the sun. In my eyes at the time, I felt like it was awesome he could be protected from so many things. Now he is on the spectrum.

DD and DS2: No vaxes.

They'll never get it till it's them. Both my kids are vaccine injured, we had zero family history of anything. I don't believe any kids are exempt anymore, they all seem to have problems of one kind or another....ADD, ADHD, Asthma, food allergies, ear infections, conjunctivitis, diarrhea...I wish people would look in their kids' med records and make the connection, better yet look in their kids' eyes and look at their behaviors and see how sick vaccines make them.

Here is some STUNNING evidence of harm and yeah, it was likely the DTP, which is DTaP now, but how many experimental vaccines are kids nowdays getting that will be changed to "safer" versions when the same thing happens:

http://www.consumerhealth.org/articles/display.cfm?ID=19990705002005

Clarity
11-18-2009, 03:37 AM
They'll never get it till it's them. Both my kids are vaccine injured, we had zero family history of anything. I don't believe any kids are exempt anymore, they all seem to have problems of one kind or another....ADD, ADHD, Asthma, food allergies, ear infections, conjunctivitis, diarrhea...I wish people would look in their kids' med records and make the connection, better yet look in their kids' eyes and look at their behaviors and see how sick vaccines make them.

Here is some STUNNING evidence of harm and yeah, it was likely the DTP, which is DTaP now, but how many experimental vaccines are kids nowdays getting that will be changed to "safer" versions when the same thing happens:

http://www.consumerhealth.org/articles/display.cfm?ID=19990705002005

All the evil in this world is not attributable to vaccines. My dd has allergies, we have NO family history of allergies. None. She was symptomatic from day 1, had extensive eczema before any vaccinations. I think it's valid to argue that we need to stop narrowly focusing on one thing (vaccines) and start looking at the bigger picture. Yes, there are chemicals in our vaccines. There are also chemicals in the water we drink/bathe, the food that we eat, the products we apply to our skin, the cleansers that we use in our homes, the poisons that we put on our yards, etc. etc. It is time to start taking a hard look at the larger environment issues.

essnce629
11-18-2009, 04:28 AM
I voted "don't do vaccines" but it wasn't always that way.

When I was pregnant with Conner my midwife recommended that I wait till 6 months to do any vaxes and do my research in the mean time. I did some research and decided to do a delayed alternate schedule (Stephanie Cave's schedule) with no more than 2 vaxes at once. At 7 months Conner had the Hib and Polio vaccine with no issues. At 8 months he had the DTaP vaccine. He ended up getting a lump in his leg, at the injection site, that lasted more than 6 weeks. I didn't feel comfortable going back 4 weeks later to get the 2nd Hib and Polio vaccines with the lump still there (even though the nurse said it was fine). I felt like maybe it was just a lump that time, but next time it would be his whole leg swelling, and after that his brain. I just didn't feel right going back. I later learned that the lump was most likely a reaction to aluminum, which was in the DTaP vaccine. I really think a ton of research needs to go into the effects of aluminum in vaccines. Aluminum is a known neurotoxin and it's in many of the vaccines in varying amounts depending on vaccine brand. Dr. Sears has a great chapter in his book about aluminum and his concerns about it in vaccines. Aluminum is also known to cause eczema and Conner has horrible eczema that we've been dealing with for several years now. I just couldn't bring myself to give another vaccine with aluminum in it knowing all we've gone through with his terrible eczema (he used to wake up hourly crying that his skin was burning and he'd scratch his skin till it bled). We also have an extremely sensitive family-- tons of allergies on my side, including my grandma who is allergic to almost every drug and is deathly allergic to the tetnus vaccine. And DBF's dad has celiac's disease which is an autoimmune disease. If anyone would be prone to vax reactions, it would probably be my kids.

Parker and any future children will be 100% vaccine free.

elliput
11-18-2009, 10:02 AM
All the evil in this world is not attributable to vaccines. My dd has allergies, we have NO family history of allergies. None. She was symptomatic from day 1, had extensive eczema before any vaccinations. I think it's valid to argue that we need to stop narrowly focusing on one thing (vaccines) and start looking at the bigger picture. Yes, there are chemicals in our vaccines. There is also chemicals in the water we drink/bathe, the food that we eat, the products we apply to our skin, the cleansers that we use in our homes, the poisons that we put on our yards, etc. etc. It is time to start taking a hard look at the larger environment issues.

This is why I vax both of my kids on schedule- I chose to vax DS knowing that DD was on the spectrum, but before an official diagnosis. As I see it, the problem isn't with the vaccines my children are receiving, but are with all of the environmental toxins and hormone disruptors to which I, DH and our parents were exposed, and those could very well include the vaccines that I received as a child. I take ownership of my DD's genetics and that includes her Autism.

brandonsmom
11-22-2009, 06:31 AM
All the evil in this world is not attributable to vaccines. My dd has allergies, we have NO family history of allergies. None. She was symptomatic from day 1, had extensive eczema before any vaccinations. I think it's valid to argue that we need to stop narrowly focusing on one thing (vaccines) and start looking at the bigger picture. Yes, there are chemicals in our vaccines. There are also chemicals in the water we drink/bathe, the food that we eat, the products we apply to our skin, the cleansers that we use in our homes, the poisons that we put on our yards, etc. etc. It is time to start taking a hard look at the larger environment issues.

Having something injected into you is not comparable to breathing it, being exposed on the skin, or even swallowing it. We have mucosal glands and skin that protects us from things in our environment but vaccines bypass those natural defense mechanisms. They bypass an entire part of the immune system (secretory IgE), which is a major problem.

The other poster is right, eczema is related to both aluminum and a dairy allergy. Aluminum is starting to be a problem in what it does from generation to generation. Like I said on another thread, it depletes folate and takes the place of iron on transferrin receptors....and you wonder why so many kids are anemic and why the two main supplements (other than multivitamins) for pregnant women are folic acid and iron!! Regardless of what you think, vaccines are harmful...fact!

I know a couple moms who stopped vaccinating after one of their children became autistic. I know two little boys, ages 2 and 1 that are as healthy and smart as I have ever seen a child. They have not experienced near the problems that most of our children often have during infancy and early childhood: fevers, screaming, ear infections, diarrhea, lactose intolerance, gas, acid reflux, colic, etc. They are way beyond their peers as far as knowledge. Neither mom has ever had to give antibiotics. They have had colds and flu and recovered just fine. Wow, their immune systems work properly without any vaccine. I admit, I am jealous, these two boys are SO healthy and happy, unadulterated, just like God created them.

brandonsmom
11-22-2009, 06:40 AM
Parker and any future children will be 100% vaccine free.

Good for you, I know two moms with unvaccinated children and they both have older vaccinated children. You can see the healthy glow of the unvaccinated child.

firsttimemama
11-22-2009, 09:26 AM
I am really happy to see a solid 30% on a delayed/alternative schedule. Maybe .. just maybe they will start to reform the vax program in response to the changes people are making.