PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestion for fun religious book

Fairy
11-12-2009, 05:51 PM
I need a fun bday gift for a friend. She's a deeply religious Catholic, and I thought a fun book that ties in God and religion would be a good fit for her. Not looking for "Left Behind" books or "Chicken Soup for the Soul" type books, etc. I mean things like "The Physics of Star Trek." That book takes Trek technology, like transporters and replicators, and explains the physics behind them and what would have to happen in the real world with the real laws of physics to make them happen. So, for her, I was hoping for something like God works in amusing ways. But she's a Lliberal, but relatively conservative in how she lives her own life, and she probably wouldn't enjoy a movie like "Dogma." Well ... I don't think, anyway? So, suggestions, anyone?

american_mama
11-12-2009, 11:49 PM
Not exactly fun or entertaining, but interesting: "Healing Words: The Power of Prayer and the Practice of Medicine" by Larry Dossey, MD. It's about scientific studies - often randomized, double blind studies - showing that people's health improves with prayer, even if stangers pray about them without the subject even knowing about it. The author was at one time the director of an NIH Center on Alternative and Complementary Medicine, so he's well-established. I confess, I did not get through more than a few chapters of this book, even though it's not a hard read. But it's a bit dry. But I heard the author interviewed once and it was really, really interesting; I listened to him with a friend who is a very religious psychiatrist and we were both fascinated.

Fairy
11-13-2009, 08:49 PM
Wow, this is actually perfect, as my friend works in the medical field as a clinician. I think shed love this. Thank you!

american_mama
11-13-2009, 09:40 PM
Great - I thought it was a long shot, so I'm happy it hit home.

Reyadawnbringer
11-13-2009, 09:56 PM
That book sounds right up my alley too... I think I will look into it.