PDA

View Full Version : Fit of Dansko shoes

Pennylane
11-12-2009, 06:51 PM
I finally broke down and bought a pair today at Nordstroms. Can't decide if I really like them or not yet or if they even fit!

I wear an 8 1//2 and bought a 39. The slip off the back of my foot when I walk but the sales associate said that is the way they are supposed to fit. Is that true or was he just trying to make a sale??

Thanks,

Ann

brittone2
11-12-2009, 06:52 PM
Your heel should lift a bit. How much depends on your personal preference.

jerigirl
11-12-2009, 06:57 PM
Your heel should lift a bit. How much depends on your personal preference.

:yeahthat:

tnrnchick74
11-12-2009, 07:14 PM
Yep - your heel should lift out. The toe box is the important thing to fit - not too snug, but jsut enough room to move your toes around when swollen. You don't want your foot moving forward too much either...but the heels should definitely "flop"

AnnieW625
11-12-2009, 07:35 PM
That sounds about right size wise. I wear a 9/1/2 wide and I wear a 41, which in most Euro shoe sizes is equal to a 10.5 or an 11. I love my Danskos and am wearing my 8 yr. old professional clogs today! I wear them with jeans and khakis all winter long.

bubbaray
11-12-2009, 07:41 PM
I am an 8.5 (AA) too. I have one pair of 39s and one pair of 40's in the clogs (I get the narrow). Frankly, I'm not jazzed with the fit of either. The 39s seem a touch too small and the 40's seem too big.

I will say that my Dansko Sela sandals (different last than the clogs) fit perfectly in the 40.

HTH

TonFirst
11-12-2009, 08:27 PM
I'm a 10/10.5 narrow and my Danskos are a 42. Call Dansko customer service and ask them to send you an extra insole. The added insole will work wondrous miracles for the fit of your Danskos on narrow/AA feet. Their CS is great!

I know that Dansko makes narrow sizes, but only in brown and black, and I was smitten with the red patent Danskos. The extra insole made a huge difference - I couldn't wear mine without them.

bubbaray
11-12-2009, 08:28 PM
OOOOH. I LOVE some of the non-narrow Danskos. I am totally stealing this idea!

Pennylane
11-12-2009, 09:09 PM
Thanks everyone, sounds like I have the right size then. I just am not 100 % sold on the shoe. They look so clunky on!I have been wearing them around the house for the last hour though and have to say they are super comfy!

Ann

thomma
11-12-2009, 09:41 PM
Tonfirst...you just made my day!!!! :yay:
I have freakishly narrow feet and even have to wear thick socks with my Dansko narrows.
Can't wait to try the extra insole. I'm so excited to add some funky to my collection!

To the OP...it took me some time to get used to my danskos. I'm a size 9 and can be either a 40 or 41 in Danskos.

Kim
ds&dd -6!

inmypjs
11-12-2009, 10:34 PM
I agree with the other posters - it is normal for your heel to lift out a bit.

I own a lot of Danskos, and here are some of my other observations:

Fit can vary, even with the same size. I've tried on 2 pairs of the same shoe of the same size, and one fits good, and the other is too big or too small. I've stopped ordered Danskos online for this reason. The store I usually buy from told me this is because they are made by hand so the size can vary a bit.

You might wear a different size depending on the style of shoe. I wear a size 9. In the clog/non sandal styles, I wear a 40. However in sandals, I almost always wear a 39.

There are different "lines" among Dansko shoes. The traditional clog style has the very hard footbed. There are other lines that are cushier or just feel different on your foot. Some I like better than others.

Finally, if you have a high instep (like me), the styles that fit close to your ankle (like the traditional clogs) can be hard to wear. I have one pair of these, but I had to have them stretched otherwise they really hurt across the top of my foot. I do better with the mary jane styles, or the styles that have some sort of strap/straps across the top.

HTH and I hope you enjoy your shoes!

sansdieu
11-13-2009, 12:39 PM
Yep - your heel should lift out. The toe box is the important thing to fit - not too snug, but jsut enough room to move your toes around when swollen. You don't want your foot moving forward too much either...but the heels should definitely "flop"

Wait, how can they be comfortable if they "flop"? I can't stand my heels flopping in any shoe...

bubbaray
11-13-2009, 12:47 PM
its a different fit than a regular shoe. Hard to describe....

lizzywednesday
11-18-2009, 01:19 PM
Wait, how can they be comfortable if they "flop"? I can't stand my heels flopping in any shoe...

I understand.

In my opinion, it's less of a "flop" and more of a "slip." It takes a little bit of getting used to, but it's definitely not a flop.

Apparently, the company says that this reduces the chance of blistering.

I can vouch for that: I've been wearing my new Danskos for 2 weeks pretty much nonstop and I haven't had any blisters, and I usually get lots of them with new all-leather shoes.

The comfort really comes from the extra support in the molded footbed and the way your weight is re-distributed because of it. It's been a VERY long time since I've been able to slip on a pair of all-leather shoes and be as comfortable in them as I was in my sneakers. These were immediately comfortable; I just had to get my feet used to wearing all leather shoes again.