PDA

View Full Version : should I worry - bruise at H1N1 injection site?

WatchingThemGrow
11-12-2009, 07:05 PM
DD (3.5) got the vax yesterday and has a nickel-sized bruise where the injection was. Should I do anything about it or be concerned? She's otherwise acting normal. Well, HER normal, which I think is a little NOT normal these days. That'll be discussed in another thread though. I'm just asking about the bruise right now.

arivecchi
11-12-2009, 07:10 PM
I have the H1N1 disclosure sheet in front of me. It reads:

Mild problems: soreness, redness, tenderness or swelling where shot was given, fainting, headache, muscle aches, fever, nausea

If these problem occur, they usually begin soon after the shot and last 1-2 days.

Severe problems: Life threatening allergic reactions to vaccines are very rare. If they do occur, it is usually within a few minutes to a few hours after the shot.

I would call the ped if you are concerned it might be something other than a mild problem.

hillview
11-12-2009, 07:40 PM
I get a bruise at injection site often. I don't think it is anything to worry about.
/hillary

mecawa
11-12-2009, 07:42 PM
I get a bruise at injection site often. I don't think it is anything to worry about.
/hillary

I get that with shots too.

bubbaray
11-12-2009, 07:44 PM
Neither of my girls nor I had any really noticeable reaction at the injection site, but DH did. His bicep swelled up and he looked like Popeye! LOL.

I wouldn't worry about the bruising unless it gets worse rather than better.

GL!

WatchingThemGrow
11-12-2009, 08:43 PM
Neither of my girls nor I had any really noticeable reaction at the injection site, but DH did. His bicep swelled up and he looked like Popeye! LOL.

That happened to me with the pneumonia vax 15 yrs ago. Weird feeling to have one large bicep. Almost ripped the seams out of my skort/dress I was wearing that day, lol.

ETA: Thanks, all! I'll keep an eye on her. Thanks for having your sheet in front of you. Mine's in the stroller basket in the van at the gym with DH. 3 kids in/out of the dr. office in the pouring rain meant that something would be forgotten.

DrSally
11-12-2009, 09:49 PM
I wouldn't be too worried about it if it's just a bruise. I think it's just something that happens sometimes. I've had it happen when the nurse has jabbed the needle in particularily hard.

WatchingThemGrow
11-12-2009, 09:54 PM
I've had it happen when the nurse has jabbed the needle in particularily hard.
This makes me wince. youch.

LOL - I was checking the spelling with DH and he was acting out "wince," "flinch," and reciting lines with "whence." kinda funny...

KathyN115
11-12-2009, 10:07 PM
I got a HUGE bruise after my seasonal vax this year, and it took almost 2 weeks for it to go away. I wouldn't worry about it, but it will probably be uncomfortable for her. My DD would require serial character bandaids until it went away:).