PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to Alimentum?

elektra
11-12-2009, 07:15 PM
My supply seems to be dwindling even after adding another pumping session and taking Fenugreek. So today DS is getting a formula bottle from the nanny.
He has had two formula bottles prior (Similac Lactose Free formula), both when I was out of town for work, and his whole face broke out in a pimply rash. I don't think that's a textbook milk allergy reaction but I know he has some kind of milk intolerance.
So after learning that the milk intolerance is more due to the milk protein than lactose I got the Alimentum. DS refused it though. :(
Is there something else that tastes better to the babes??? What about soy? The ped did say that was ok to try too.
He did have about 4 oz of breast milk before the formula so maybe that's part of why he refused, but he usually drinks 6+ oz. so I know he would probably want/need more.

Katigre
11-12-2009, 08:06 PM
Nutramigen is another formula that is ok for dairy-intolerant babies.

You could try mixing a small amount of breastmilk into the formula to help him adjust to the taste (this isn't ok to do long-term, but to get him over the hump of accepting it, it can work).

DrSally
11-13-2009, 12:12 AM
I can see why he refused the Alimentum if he hasn't had it since birth--hydrolyzed formulas are very bitter. Nutramigen is the other hypoallergenic formula, but my guess is that it would be bitter too. You could try mixing with BM to make it taste better. But that's tough too b/c I liked to give BM first to make sure he drank it and then follow up with formula. I did a bit of both--mixing and giving BM first when I was supplemeting based on how "hungry" I thought he was. DS took alimentum and BM for the first 2 months and didn't know any better. After that, we got back to EBFing. Much later down the line, I tried offering Alimentum as a cow's milk substitute and he absolutely refused it.

You could try soy too. Just watch for reactions.

Katigre
11-13-2009, 08:50 AM
As another option, could we help you brainstorm ways to boost your supply?

There are a lot of ways to do that (even when working full-time) and that could help with the situation too.

elektra
11-14-2009, 12:34 AM
As another option, could we help you brainstorm ways to boost your supply?

There are a lot of ways to do that (even when working full-time) and that could help with the situation too.
Thanks, yes, I want to try that More Milk or whatever it's called. I am going to try searching for that thread I saw recently. I am really not interested in any solutions that involve more pumping though. :( I already added an additional pump session and I am going to continue to do that, but I am just not up for much more pumping than that. I also need to find a formula that DS will like and will not cause any bad reactions because I have to travel for work occasionally and I won't be able to leave enough milk ahead of time for him.
I tried the Alimentum again tonight and he gagged until he threw up. It does smell disgusting though so I don't blame him!
I think I will try the soy next, or maybe just one of those single servings of regular to see if he can take that now? My ped didn't really elaborate beyond, "well you could try soy".
It's my own fault for walking out of there without asking clear questions and pressing for more info. I always think of stuff much later!!

Katigre
11-14-2009, 01:38 AM
I don't blame you at all for not wanting to add more pumping! I hope that you're able to find something that your DS will eat easily.

I was thinking of increasing the number of your nursing sessions for boosting supply. How often is your DS nursing? Are you feeding at night at all? I've found that if I up the amount of times DD nurses, then what I'm able to pump increases automatically without having to add additional sessions because my overall supply is higher.

elektra
11-14-2009, 01:52 AM
I was thinking of increasing the number of your nursing sessions for boosting supply. How often is your DS nursing? Are you feeding at night at all? I've found that if I up the amount of times DD nurses, then what I'm able to pump increases automatically without having to add additional sessions because my overall supply is higher.

Thank you, yes! I totally did this today (took the day off work and went to Disneyland!). I completely ignored the clock and just nursed anytime DS seemed hungry at all. (I did realize that the boy is just too heavy to carry and nurse anymore though. I almost didn't make it through that Pirates of the Caribbean line without dropping him!) I think we ended up going 1 or two times more than usual. So yes, with my long weekend I am just going to try to go more often.

DrSally
11-14-2009, 01:49 PM
Good idea about adding more nursing sessions. That's an easier way to increase supply than adding more pumpings. I hate pumping. Night nursing also increases supply, as more prolactin is secreted at night. That has it's own issues though. Now that DD is SSTN, she does get up around 4:30-5am and nurses, goes back to sleep, and then nurses again when she wakes up around 6:30 am. I'm glad she gets those 2 nursings in the morning, b/c sometimes we get busy during the day and don't nurse as often as I nursed DS at this age--really just before and after nap and before bed.

I understand wanting to have a formula that's ok for him ready to go in case you don't have enough EBM when you're out of town. If it were me, I'd try either the soy or milk based formula. I think Good Start is broken (not as much as Alimentum) somewhat, making it easier to digest. His initial reaction to milk could've been something that he's outgrown by now. DD had bright red around her mouth when she first tried yogurt, so I waited several months before trying again. The ped thought it was just a contact reaction, but I was very hesitant since this is how DS's milk allergy started. Long story short, after some testing and trying again about 5 months later, she had no reaction to milk products.