PDA

View Full Version : Boston gift ideas

mamica
11-12-2009, 08:55 PM
The daughter of a close family friend started college in Boston this fall, and we are way overdue on a HS graduation gift. We'll be seeing them around the holidays, so I thought it would be a nice time to give a "welcome to college gift". I thought about giving a museum membership, but it turns out she gets free admission - being a student - to those that would interest her the most.

Other ideas were a giftcard to 1154 Lill Studio (but she's from Chicago, so that might not be so original) or there's always a Boston restaurant giftcard. I was hoping, though, to give something other than a giftcard.

Anyone have any ideas for something related to Boston? Or, if not, any other ideas are welcome! She's into fashion and is rather artsy, if it helps any.

Thanks in advance!

hillview
11-12-2009, 09:16 PM
Humm

What is your price range?
A T Pass :) (subway) if she uses it often?
Tea at the 4 Seasons with a girlfriend?
Tickets to the Nutcracker?

Be back later with other idea!
/hillary

mecawa
11-12-2009, 09:42 PM
I was going to say tickets to the Nutcracker just like the pp but I like her idea for Tea at the 4 Seasons too.

babybell
11-12-2009, 10:04 PM
Tickets to see the Blue Man Group (http://www.blueman.com/)

dcmom2b3
11-12-2009, 10:08 PM
I'd call the bursar's office at her school and see if I could add a credit to her campus "money" card (I have the sense that everything financial on campus is dealt with electronically these days. Could be wrong about that . . .)

sansdieu
11-13-2009, 12:43 PM
The daughter of a close family friend started college in Boston this fall, and we are way overdue on a HS graduation gift. We'll be seeing them around the holidays, so I thought it would be a nice time to give a "welcome to college gift". I thought about giving a museum membership, but it turns out she gets free admission - being a student - to those that would interest her the most.

Other ideas were a giftcard to 1154 Lill Studio (but she's from Chicago, so that might not be so original) or there's always a Boston restaurant giftcard. I was hoping, though, to give something other than a giftcard.

Anyone have any ideas for something related to Boston? Or, if not, any other ideas are welcome! She's into fashion and is rather artsy, if it helps any.

Thanks in advance!

Which college is she in? There might be some interesting local places.

Twoboos
11-13-2009, 12:46 PM
Tickets to see the Blue Man Group (http://www.blueman.com/)

Yes! Blue Man is SOOOOOO cool!!

alien_host
11-13-2009, 01:18 PM
Yes! Blue Man is SOOOOOO cool!!

Blue Man Group is a great idea, it's a very fun show.

Does she have a car or is she limited to public transportation? I can give you some restaurant suggestions if you give us an idea of what school she is in and her car situtation.

pb&j
11-13-2009, 03:24 PM
Tix to the Boston Pops?

lil_acorn
11-13-2009, 03:48 PM
How about some Boston Red sox or Patriots gear - sweatshirts, caps, etc?

mamica
11-13-2009, 10:21 PM
Blue Man Group is a great idea, it's a very fun show.

Does she have a car or is she limited to public transportation? I can give you some restaurant suggestions if you give us an idea of what school she is in and her car situtation.

Thanks for all the great ideas! She's at the Conservatory, and I think she does not have a car so far.

calv
11-13-2009, 11:01 PM
another one for blue man group but since xmas is right around the corner I'd say tickets to see the boston xmas pops. A great show!

dcmom2b3
11-14-2009, 01:08 AM
Thanks for all the great ideas! She's at the Conservatory, and I think she does not have a car so far.

Warm, stylish waterproof and salt resistant boots. Or a gift certificate for same. Even if she already has a pair, having another (or a third, or fourth) would be a plus.

I wouldn't worry so much about her gift being relevant to her studies; she'll get plenty of opportunities to see acts as they arrive in Boston, either at the Conservatory or through its connections.

She *needs* warm feet. A sassy pair of La cannadiennes: priceless.

alien_host
11-14-2009, 10:09 AM
She is really centrally located and close to the subway (T) so really you can't go wrong with any type of restaurant gift certificate. When I was in college, I would always welcome a really good non-school cafeteria style meal.

Here are a few suggestions:

Fire and Ice http://www.fire-ice.com/ I haven't been in years but this it was fun back then.

Betty's Wok and Noodle http://bettyswokandnoodle.com/ casual restaurant but very fun and food is yummy

Finale Dessertierie & Bakery http://www.finaledesserts.com/ if she likes sweets!

Really there are a lot of restaurants around....do you know what kind of food she enjoys?

Is she in a dorm or apartment? Does she have her own kitchen? You could do a gift card to Whole Foods as there is one downtown or Shaws which is a grocery store if you think she would enjoy buying her own food and cooking it (or for latenight snacks).

wellyes
11-14-2009, 01:07 PM
It's cheesy and old-fashioned but when I was in college what I would have loved most was a care package - a box with some gloves, something good to eat, a Boston guidebook (I like the "Not for Tourist" series) and some high quality hot chocolate to make in the dorm.