PDA

View Full Version : best shapewear???

cchavez
11-12-2009, 10:31 PM
Spanx?? if so, which one....higher power panty? Dr. Rey's shapewear? I also notice miracle suit has shapewear now. I need a few pieces to wear w/ my holiday outfits....particularly a black cocktail dress.....TIA!

BarbieSmith
11-13-2009, 09:48 AM
Oh please, I would like to know too! My tummy is my problem area. Not a lot of $$$ though :(

maylips
11-13-2009, 10:08 AM
I don't have a lot (although now I need them) but in every magazine, report, etc that I read, Spanx by far gets the most glowing reviews for comfort and help in making you smooth.

I recently bought the Hide and Sleek http://www.herroom.com/Spanx-096-Hide--Sleek-Hi-Rise-Body-Smoother.shtml and it does smooth things out a bit. I could button a pair of pants that I can't button normally, anyway. But by the end of the day, I'm ready to have it off.

Anyway, I don't know if it's because Spanx has awesome marketing or if it's true, but I can't afford to try all the brands out there so I stuck with what the "experts" said.

cchavez
11-13-2009, 02:24 PM
I am going shapewear shopping next week.....so any ideas are appreciated. Since it will be used on multiple special occassions on I don't mind $$$ splurging....however, which color would you get....my cocktail dress is black but then another outfit is brown/tan combo....thanks!

sansdieu
11-13-2009, 02:29 PM
Marshalls has a huge selection of Flexees type shapewear (camis, slips, etc.). These aren't the same ones they sell at Costco -- they are actually very firm control; really great on the tummy. They say you must STEP INTO them (rather than pull on overhead), and it does really work much better. If getting the cami, be sure to try on the one where each breast has its own cup, so to speak (some of their camis give you a really bad uni-boob).

Assets (@Target) is supposed to be by the creator of Spanx, but I haven't tried them.

hillview
11-13-2009, 02:38 PM
I have assets, spanx and the one from costco (flexees?) and I like all of them. Flexies (tanks) are very comfy and work well. Spanx are top of the line IMO but aren't super comfortable but work. Assets are cheaper but if you were getting to wear once, I might just do that.
/hillary

lizzywednesday
11-13-2009, 02:44 PM

Assets (@Target) is supposed to be by the creator of Spanx, but I haven't tried them.

Assets are just as good as Spanx for half the price, IME.

sansdieu
11-13-2009, 04:22 PM
Assets are just as good as Spanx for half the price, IME.

I often see them on clearance at my Target, so it would be like 25% of the price ;)

cchavez
11-13-2009, 11:23 PM
Do the assets come in a higher power style....all the way up the the bra line? I have the regular assets...and I dont' care for them b/c they don't come all the way up.

lizzywednesday
11-15-2009, 01:07 PM
Do the assets come in a higher power style....all the way up the the bra line? I have the regular assets...and I dont' care for them b/c they don't come all the way up.

It depends on your Target. I have seen a lot of inventory variation from store to store in the 3 I shop at most often.

I haven't noticed a longer line option in the tummy panel, but I don't typically look for that for myself because my tummy has never been a "problem area" ... it's mostly my hips & thighs. (This will probably change after Baby comes this spring!!)

salsah
11-15-2009, 08:04 PM
i have been happy with my flexes from costco. and so much cheaper than the spanx that i bought at nordstrom. and i hate those spanx so much that i don't even wear them -- such a waste of money.

ryanmom
11-16-2009, 09:53 AM
You can get Spanx at Filene's Basement sometimes. Also, you can usually get them with a coupon at Lord & Taylor or other Department Stores... I would go with the bone colored or neutral ones. I have the ones that are like nylons with a little extra control top coverage as well as the kind of like maternity shorts-- I tend to wear the nylons ones more, especially if I'm wearing a dress that I'd have to wear nylons with anyways. They really do "smooth" things out.