PDA

View Full Version : Wine recommendation for Thanksgiving

mamica
11-12-2009, 11:27 PM
Do you have a favorite wine(s) to serve with turkey dinner on Thanksgiving?

ilfaith
11-12-2009, 11:50 PM
We usually serve a zinfandel (red not white/pink)...since that is what our friend who owns a wine shop tends to bring. Beaujolais Nouveau also arrives just in time for the holiday.

Some other ideas...
http://wine.about.com/od/holidayswithwine/a/thanksgivingwin.htm

pb&j
11-13-2009, 12:13 AM
My favorite thanksgiving/wine memory is Riesling. It goes great with turkey, and is a crowd pleaser.

TwinFoxes
11-13-2009, 02:58 AM
We usually go with Pinot Noir. Stands up to the heavier dishes (like candied yams) but works well with turkey.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
11-13-2009, 03:13 AM
We usually go with Pinot Noir. Stands up to the heavier dishes (like candied yaks) but works well with turkey.

Candied Yaks.:ROTFLMAO:
I know you meant yams, but I am cracking up!

TwinFoxes
11-13-2009, 03:19 AM
Candied Yaks.:ROTFLMAO:
I know you meant yams, but I am cracking up!

Eek! It's 2am here, I'm claiming sleep deprivation. :)

I was going to post pretending that no, I MEANT yaks, why were you making fun of my family traditions. ;). Tee hee.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
11-13-2009, 03:21 AM
Eek! It's 2am here, I'm claiming sleep deprivation. :)

I was going to post pretending that no, I MEANT yaks, why were you making fun of my family traditions. ;). Tee hee.

No worries! I needed a good laugh. So :signthankspin:, really. Candied yaks.:hysterical:

MoJo
11-13-2009, 08:38 AM
Candied yaks really would be a heavy dish!:ROTFLMAO:

Thanks for an early morning laugh!

egoldber
11-13-2009, 08:44 AM
:ROTFLMAO:

We like Beajolais Nouveau. It's a French wine traditionally only drunk between mid November and New Year's. It's from the first pressing of the gamay grapes from the Beaujolais region of France. It's lighter and fruitier than a typical Beaujolais or Burgundy red.

karenj2
11-13-2009, 10:25 AM
Oh, now I'm getting cravings for wine... *sigh*

I think (could easily be wrong) that I like what egoldber likes (if it's a red)... I'm no wine connoisseur, so when I'm picking up wine I usually ask the folks at the store what they'd recommend. Before getting pregnant, they really hit me up with some GREAT red wines (for my price range).

*sigh* Maybe next Thanksgiving...

egoldber
11-13-2009, 10:31 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaujolais_nouveau

hillview
11-13-2009, 11:02 AM
It depends on who is coming. If it is my MIL, a BOX for me with a straw.
/hillary

oneplustwo
11-13-2009, 11:08 AM
We usually go with Pinot Noir. Stands up to the heavier dishes (like candied yams) but works well with turkey.

:yeahthat: We're red wine drinkers in this house, and tend to do Pinot Noir for T-Day.

Twoboos
11-13-2009, 11:24 AM
A couple of years ago we had a blend called Spanish Quarter - Tempranillo (sp?) and either Cabernet Sav or Merlot, can't remember which. It was a huge hit and seemed to go well with everything. (Or, maybe we're big drinkers. :))

MoJo
11-13-2009, 01:30 PM
karenj2,

You're not the only one! And I'm not much of a drinker, and have never had wine at Thanksgiving! I was even thinking about it at the grocery this morning.

Maybe next year.

bubbaray
11-13-2009, 01:33 PM
I like Italian whites, Bolla Soave is my personal fave. DH likes sweeter wines, something like a Gewertz.....

Our turkey dinners, however, aren't particularly heavy. So, I can serve a lighter white, KWIM?

If the ILs re here, we serve a white and a red as they prefer reds. Usually some icky German red. Ewwww.

lowrioh
11-13-2009, 01:39 PM
If you like white wine then try a Chenin Blanc or Vouvray (same thing different name). It isn't too sweet or dry....
Personally, I'm more a red wine kind of girl and I usually go with a blend for Thanksgiving.

jhrabosk
11-13-2009, 01:40 PM
Do you have a favorite wine(s) to serve with turkey dinner on Thanksgiving?

I'm a Beaujolais Nouveau fan as well, though I don't know whether my palate has changed over the years as I don't like it as much as I used to. Curses on DH for buying increasingly expensive wine!

There was an article in the Dining section of the Times this week on this subject:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/11/dining/reviews/11wine.html

karenj2
11-13-2009, 10:08 PM
A couple of years ago we had a blend called Spanish Quarter - Tempranillo (sp?) and either Cabernet Sav or Merlot, can't remember which. It was a huge hit and seemed to go well with everything. (Or, maybe we're big drinkers. :))

Spanish Quarter is another of my favorites!! That one I do remember the name of - because that was my go-to wine all last year!

karenj2,

You're not the only one! And I'm not much of a drinker, and have never had wine at Thanksgiving! I was even thinking about it at the grocery this morning.

Maybe next year.

Yeah, I can wait... I don't want to get Nemo drunk. :hysterical:

Tondi G
11-14-2009, 12:26 AM
Don't know how it goes with Turkey but my family typically likes red wines and recently my sister has been liking Malbec. I think it's from Argentina?

hardysmom
11-14-2009, 11:24 AM
Traditionally, the Beaujolais Nouveau is released just before Thanksgiving. It is an annual, which doesn't age or keep. By late-winter, the season is over until next Thanksgiving.

It is an easy wine to drink. Fairly cheap, too. A wiki link was posted earlier.

Usually, Georges DuBouf has a zillion bottles on display. Typically in the $10-$15 range.