PDA

View Full Version : For those who do not like cooking .......

slworld
11-13-2009, 02:45 AM
.... how do you entertain? Food seems to be a big part of entertaining, that too home cooked food (of course I don't want to spend money on catering/ordering either). I would like to entertain friends/guests more often, but I hate cooking. Some people do it so easily. But I just don't even want to plan something since I would have to spend so much time on cooking. I am not very creative and need a recipe for almost everything. It gets very stressful deciding what to make since I don't feel I am really good at this. Just wanted to get some ideas/inspiration from folks who are in the same situation.

Thanks much

kijip
11-13-2009, 03:32 AM
People like you and like your company. Don't stress it. You can do simple, inexpensive foods and still host. I love to cook and will often use guests as an excuse to try a new recipe or do something fancy. Still sometimes, I don't have the time to cook a lot. Pasta with prepared sauce and store bought garlic bread or hotdogs and a can of baked beans still get eaten and the gathering is still fun, even if I stuffed no mushrooms or carved no prime rib or made no from scratch curry sauce. :tongue5:

niccig
11-13-2009, 03:51 AM
Keep things casual. It doesn't have to be a gourmet meal. I have repeated dishes - different guests, same meal. Shop the aisles of prepared foods.

A great appetizer is a trio of different dips, crackers and crusty bread. Or an assortment of cheeses. Fire up the grill for steak and put DH in charge of that. Bag of prepared salad. baked potatoes done in the microwave. Sorbet or something from the dessert freezer

SkyrMommy
11-13-2009, 09:05 AM
Just try little things... I dislike cooking as well (I used to hate it!). I now try to add a new dish once and a while. When we find one we like I try it again a few times so that I'm more comfortable cooking it and then invite people over.

Also trying out new appetizers while DH grills & other stuff is prepackages like the PP said is wonderful as well. Appetizers can be fun and easier and some of the cooking is passed off to DH.

My DH and guests so far have been very complimentary over the years about whatever I've made so that's made me feel better and better about cooking.

Seitvonzu
11-13-2009, 09:16 AM
if you don't like to cook/find the planning intimidating, i wouldn't plan guests for a meal, at least until you get more confident. perhaps you could just have a cocktail party with a signature drink and some simple appetizers? there are some great "cider" based cocktails this time of year (and then you could have a couple bottles of wine and some beer and soda to round things out...maybe wassail? or hot spiked cider and virgin cider for nondrinkers?) recently i was in target STARVING and i picked up a jar of "winter spiced nuts"-- they were DELICIOUS and on the side of the jar (planters brand) they had suggestions for mixing your own "snack mix"-- adding orange zest and mini marshmellows, or cranberrys and apple chips, pretzels, etc. you can also warm the nuts a bit to make them even more aromatic and delicious.. even though i cook i LOVED this simple idea of mixing up my own, fresh and different mix :) veggies with a yummy dip (you can buy so many good ones, esp. if you have a trader joes, but i personally love hidden valley ranch mix with sour cream-- so easy and SO good) and some type of crackers/ cheese and maybe a few types of nicer storebought cookies ? (pepperidge farm- maybe gingerbread or an assortment? or those european sets they sell in tins at target these times of year? i used to LOVE when my mom would send me those in college.. and i'm all about baking! still- YUM!)

you could alternatively have a dessert party-- start at 8ish or so. make a big pot of hot chocolate and some coffee. offer "mixers" like baileys (or better yet, brady's irish cream--so good and CHEAP) , peppermint schnapps, frangelico. then have cookies, a cake (william sonoma or trader joes make good mixes and you can make a easy ganache icing to make it more "homemade"), fudge,etc. you could make this a potluck style thing, where everyone brings a holiday/festive dessert or something. that would reduce pressure adn people love to bake during the holidays! if you're providing the place and the fancy drinks, i don't think this is out of line.

once your feeling confident, if you want, you can try simple meals. i know what you mean about having people over-- i always feel like i need to have tons of food to offer people adn it sometimes gets in the way of having people spontaneously. i also have issues about cleaning...but that's not this post! good luck :) cooking doesn't have to be stressful, but it sure can be.

Melaine
11-13-2009, 09:21 AM
Buy a Cheeecake Factory cheesecake and serve coffee. People love it.

egoldber
11-13-2009, 09:24 AM
Homemade pizzas are great for low key entertaining. You can buy everything if you like. Have the guests assemble their own pizzas. It's fun to see what everyone makes and it's a great social activity. :)

mommylamb
11-13-2009, 10:54 AM
We do monthly pot luck dinners with 3 other families that I met through my moms group when I was on maternity leave. We rotate who hosts and the host is in charge of the main course, but someone usually brings a side, someone else brings dessert and someone else brings an appetizer. It's a wonderful set up and very low pressure when you know everyone contributes something.

I'm not a great cook, but my DH is a good cook so when we're doing real entertaining (as in not a pot luck) he usually does most of the cooking.

hillview
11-13-2009, 11:03 AM
Make spaghetti and meatballs. Or do something frozen / take out from the supermarket. If you want to have people over just do it and they won't care what you serve. Do apps with cheese and crackers etc. Do a potluck.
HAVE FUN!
/hillary