PDA

View Full Version : Ideas on how to build my professional skills in business/management ....

jeniferrlynne
11-13-2009, 04:12 AM
I am a SAHM who is beginning to have more responsibility outside the home. These are just with my volunteer duties -school, charities, church,etc. But I was thinking what better time to work on my skills to be applied later for when I really do want to re-enter the workforce. Sooo ....I need suggestions on what to read, websites, magazines, and so forth. Basically how to do some things I didn't study in college. My degree is in counseling and religion, not anything in the business world.

I didn't take a single business or management class so I would like to learn how to do some of the following:
-Run a meeting/Make an Agenda for an effective meeting
-Set goals & create vision
-Manage a team
-Communicate ideas well with others
-Be more productive with my time etc. (someone has suggested GETTING THINGS DONE a book)
-Basically anything related to business management!

The number of google hits out there is overwhelming and the only other forum I am a member of is HOTCOUPONWORLD so you guys become my experts!

Anyone have some ideas?

kijip
11-13-2009, 04:41 AM
I recommend the The Leadership Challenge book. It has some things that are connected to effective meetings and is pretty inspirational. It reads fast.

Jim Collins is an author with very good stuff as well.

Also, if you are doing any sort of fundraising volunteer work (common for schools and groups it seems like) you can try reading Fundraising for Social Change or basically anything Kim Klein has ever written. Her stuff is often very relevant for small groups and schools. She publishes the Grassroots Fundraising Journal. They have a website. I am sure there are meeting and other resources on their.

The main thing as a volunteer is to do what you say you will do and don't agree to do more than you can do. That makes you far more professional than OH! so many people.

wellyes
11-13-2009, 09:19 AM
I recommend temping. The corporate world is so, so different from academia and nonprofits. I went from grad school and working in the development office of a museum to temping in a cubicle and it was -- well, honestly I found it to be infuriating at first. It seemed to me that there were a whole lot of meetings to discuss things that were really obvious; every talks in shallow jargon; everyone gives lip service to the proclaimed corporate values while displaying uncloaked cynicism. My time spent temping was really really valuable in re-setting my expectations on what work is like in business.

I didn't take a single business or management class so I would like to learn how to do some of the following:
-Manage a team
-Be more productive with my time etc. (someone has suggested GETTING THINGS DONE a book)
-Basically anything related to business management!I've spent many, many years working in corporate training and the real truth is that the way to learn to run a meeting is to go to a lot meetings and not make the same mistakes. Same with agenda setting, managing people, everything. But -- every company I've worked for offerings the Harvard ManageMentor (http://corporatelearning.hbsp.org/corporate/products-and-services/reference/product-harvard-managementor-overview.html) series for leadership development training. I don't know what it would cost an individual person to take, I've only worked with volume licenses. But they do have some free demos that you might want to look into to see if it's what you're looking for.

egoldber
11-13-2009, 09:29 AM
FWIW, I don't think that they teach most of those things in college. :)

I do agree that the corporate world is very different from academica, etc. although I think that most large workplaces are alike in a lot of ways.

The main thing as a volunteer is to do what you say you will do and don't agree to do more than you can do. That makes you far more professional than OH! so many people.

I think this is pretty useful everywhere. :) People/companies routinely overcommit and I think it's great for management to hear people say "No, I'm already too busy. I can't do that right now unless something else gets taken off my plate."

kijip
11-13-2009, 11:56 AM
I think this is pretty useful everywhere. :) People/companies routinely overcommit and I think it's great for management to hear people say "No, I'm already too busy. I can't do that right now unless something else gets taken off my plate."

I agree, I think that alone makes someone super professional, regardless of setting. It applies on a personal and professional level but most people overextend it seems. I know I battle it myself at different times:tongue5:.

Moneypenny
11-13-2009, 12:54 PM
I agree with PPs that doing is the best learning, but there are also seminars you can take (Fred Pryor and the like). Each one is usually a one-day thing for about $199.

pinkmomagain
11-13-2009, 01:11 PM
I think volunteering is great experience...if you take on leadership roles. I have an MBA and was a marketing manager before being a SAHM. I always say that the one thing that perpared me most for the business world was being the president of my sorority as an undergrad. Having to motivate people who are not salaried, organizing events, dealing with finances, etc.

kozachka
11-13-2009, 08:13 PM
I think some of your goals (e.g. create vision) are... how should I put it nicely... ambitious for someone with no management experience. Heck, they are ambitious even for people with relevant experience. I am a big fan of focus and getting the basics right before moving onto more lofty goals. Business/management is too broad of a term, even if you spend two years studing management in a top business school it's not enough. So assess what is that you realistically can and want to do in a business world when you go back to work full time, what skills are necessary for the job and start acquiring them by taking community college classes, learning software, following industry news.

hillview
11-13-2009, 08:33 PM
I think you should find a mentor. Someone who wants to help you get better at these sort of things. IME here are some tips:
To run a good meeting make sure you have JUST who you must have there; smaller teams are generally more effective; suggest a divide an conquor approach; agenda topics should be descriptive with a time limit and a lead (eg review schedule 10 mins; Mary to lead)
I am not so big on vision but often these are done via the team with brainstorming (no idea is a bad idea) and then together sorting through them to come up with the team/company/committee vision; goals are often more pragmatic (increase annual fund by 10%; recruit 5 thought leaders etc)
-Manage a team
For me this is listening; making sure everyone gets what they need to be effective; clearly communicating expectations and giving feedback when people do the right thing and when people do not; create a collaborative environment in some cases get folks to meet as a small team to become more collaborative
WRITE it down. Seriously best thing you can do to eliminate confusion esp for new teams
Got me here ;)

Good luck!
/hillary

bubbaray
11-13-2009, 08:47 PM
I think some of your goals (e.g. create vision) are... how should I put it nicely... ambitious for someone with no management experience. Heck, they are ambitious even for people with relevant experience. I am a big fan of focus and getting the basics right before moving onto more lofty goals. Business/management is too broad of a term, even if you spend two years studing management in a top business school it's not enough. So assess what is that you realistically can and want to do in a business world when you go back to work full time, what skills are necessary for the job and start acquiring them by taking community college classes, learning software, following industry news.

I get what PP is saying here. I have to disagree with the PPs who said those skills aren't taught in schools. They are taught in qualitative MBA/Executive MBA programs, for example.

OP, for introductory and "big picture" training on time management and personal vision, I highly recommend Stephen Covey's books, in particular 7 Habits of Highly Effective People and First Things First. The corresponding courses are wonderful, though pricey if you aren't getting a free ride from your employer.

GL!

jeniferrlynne
11-13-2009, 11:55 PM
Thanks for the suggestions so far! I don't want to give the wrong impression that I plan on re-entering the workforce in business per se, or expect a management job out of the chute. But the skills I am needing to build and that I can apply immediately seem to be from the business/management category, if that makes sense. Leadership seems to be the other word used to find some good info. I will most likely pursue jobs relating back to my religion degree but as aforementioned I would like to grow in some other areas that can be applied in a number of settings.