PDA

View Full Version : freezing pies

boogiemomz
11-13-2009, 11:42 AM
my baby is due any day now :bouncy: and i was thinking of making some pies to have for a thanksgiving meal with DH and the new little one (we are taking out the rest from whole foods' thanksgiving menu--keep it simple!!). i wanted to make a pumpkin and a pecan pie, but i'm not sure how best to freeze them. i think i should freeze the pumpkin pie before baking, but i read somewhere that nut pies like pecan pie should be baked before freezing. i've never frozen homemade pies before, and would love to hear your experiences, good, bad and ugly, so i can avoid disaster after i go to the trouble to home-make them (crusts and all).

also, feel free to direct me to your favorite pie recipes... i'm thinking of a buttermilk pumpkin pie recipe that i found online that looks yummy, but am open to suggestion if you have strong feelings about this! :p

boogiemomz
11-13-2009, 11:49 AM
also, just realized that the buttermilk pumpkin pie recipe calls for freezing and then baking the crust before the filling is added. is that common? how would i freeze it in that case? i guess i'm concerned about freezing the pie with a baked crust because i don't want it to get soggy, but maybe i'm wrong about that...

lizzywednesday
11-13-2009, 03:08 PM
also, just realized that the buttermilk pumpkin pie recipe calls for freezing and then baking the crust before the filling is added. is that common? how would i freeze it in that case? i guess i'm concerned about freezing the pie with a baked crust because i don't want it to get soggy, but maybe i'm wrong about that...

Pumpkin pies are custard pies.

Custard pies are usually "blind baked" so that the crust doesn't soggify after you've added the custard to the crust.

Personally, I'd bake it all the way (blind bake; fill; bake; cool) before freezing it, but haven't done a custard pie myself in almost 9 years.

bubbaray
11-13-2009, 03:18 PM
Honestly? Make the pie and eat it alllll yourself. You're gonna have a baby soon! Rest, relax.

:)