PDA

View Full Version : Plugged Duct - Won't budge

Claki
11-13-2009, 03:25 PM
We're in our second perilous week of nursing and the challenges keep coming. I have had a plugged for several days and it won't budge. I've read threads on here and googled ways to unplug it. I went to the doctor who wasn't much help, she said to push it out and take the antibiotics if I get a fever.

So far I don't have any signs of mastitis, but I feel like my milk supply is slipping away.

What happens if I don't get this thing unplugged? If I do get sick and take antibiotics I will still have this plug.

WatchingThemGrow
11-13-2009, 03:39 PM
Did you try the "hang it in a bowl of warm water" trick?

Claki
11-13-2009, 03:42 PM
I tried hanging it over into the bath water with no luck. I'm pruney from taking so many baths and showers.

SnuggleBuggles
11-13-2009, 03:44 PM
Heat, massage...what always worked for me was squeezing really hard, starting up by my armpit, while leaning in the bath tub. I figured I got the heat and the compression done at the same time. It would take a lot of work sometimes. I had really stubborn ones with ds2. None ever turned into mastitis b/c I worked really hard to get rid of them and prob. b/c my immune system was pretty strong.

You will get it unplugged. Keep nursing on that side and massaging while you nurse. Pump, alternate positioning (like cradle and football, for example). Figure out where the plug is and aim baby towards it.

Beth

SnuggleBuggles
11-13-2009, 03:45 PM
I tried hanging it over into the bath water with no luck. I'm pruney from taking so many baths and showers.

You have to squeeze so hard sometimes that you don't imagine you could really do it. You squeeze and knead towards the nipple.

Beth

sansdieu
11-13-2009, 04:35 PM
Is it the red blocked duct or the "true" blocked duct (like a white blister on the nipple)? I remember something about adding salt (?) to the water; I think... I could be wrong, though.

I know my Dr. couldn't care less about mine (didn't even want me to take off my bra to check it out), but the Lactation Consultant did help with it.

Katigre
11-13-2009, 04:40 PM
How often are you nursing on that side?

alleycat
11-13-2009, 05:07 PM
This is what I did the last few times I had a knot. About a half an hour before the baby was suppose to eat, I would heat up a heating pad (I used one of those gel packs with a burp cloth wrapped around it). Held the heating pad at the plug for about 15-20 minutes (tucked it into my bra and went about doing something else), massaging the knot every so often. After that, I hopped into the shower. Made the water as hot as I could tolerate. Massaged the knot and push it towards the nipple. Soaped up my hands so that it would make it easier. Every so often I would check to see if a little white speck appeared. It I could clear the "cheese" by pushing then great. Sometimes I had to resort to squeezing it out. Probably not the best idea but what else could I do. If the shower didn't work, I got out of the shower and popped DD on the boob. By now she would be pretty hungry so she would suck harder. Massage and push while she's eating. Detach and check for "cheese" every so often. Again, I would squeeze it out if necessary.

I had plugged ducts quite often with DD#1. DH used to say the happiest sound he heard was me opening the shower door with a bang and running to the bedroom to get to the pump. That meant I cleared my knot and my misery was over, at least until the next plug.

Keep a bottle or baby handy. Once the cheese comes out, you'll have milk flying.

Claki
11-13-2009, 09:16 PM
I'm so stressed over this! We're nursing about every 2.5 hours, though the baby would much rather sleep longer. We have latch issues and I've only been able to get him to go for a different position once today, which is probably how we got this plug in the first place. I have pushed and pushed on this marble and it just won't move. I don't think the duct is completely plugged up, though it's a pretty big ball in there. Milk still comes out when I push on it.

fivi2
11-13-2009, 09:24 PM
You have to squeeze so hard sometimes that you don't imagine you could really do it. You squeeze and knead towards the nipple.

Beth

:yeahthat:

Seriously, so hard that it HURTS.

ThreeofUs
11-13-2009, 09:42 PM
Use really, really, really hot water just before a feeding. Start warm and work your way up to hot. Lean over and let gravity help you as you start waaayyy back from whereever it is and squeeze to the nipple. It takes time and hurts like hell, but it *will* come loose.

I was wearing microwave-warmed socks full of rice in my shirts for the longest time. Turns out a nursing tank and a nursing bra were too tight and causing me to get a plug every.single.time. I wore them.

Best of luck to you!

WitMom
11-13-2009, 10:06 PM
I had soooo many plugged ducts and rounds of mastitis with DD1 that it wasn't even funny. I even ended up with an abscess...not fun. I agree with everything recommended so far, but the one thing that I found always helped was to take ibuprofen. It helps with the inflammation in the area, and helps clear the plug. At least it always did for me.

Momof3Labs
11-13-2009, 10:08 PM
YES to the heating pad or heated rice sock - you need to get enough heat on there for long enough that it softens and clears out. Also, start taking Lecithin as a supplement - I haven't had a plugged duct since I went on Lecithin (through 27 months of nursing DS2 and 16 weeks - so far - of pumping for twins).

bubbaray
11-13-2009, 10:40 PM
After I had mastitis 5x with DD#1, I figured out (slow learner) that it was my Bravado nursing bras.

I still got it 1 or 2x with DD#2, but that was a lot less than with DD#1 (and I nursed DD#2 longer).

You really need to work on the plug so it d/n become mastitis. Trust us, you do not want to go there. It SUCKS. I'd rather have had my 2 c/s without anesthetic, thats how much it hurts.

bubbaray
11-13-2009, 10:41 PM
Also, start taking Lecithin as a supplement - I haven't had a plugged duct since I went on Lecithin

:yeahthat: Lecithin really helped me, especially with DD#2 and when I had to wean her somewhat quickly at 17m.

Fairy
11-13-2009, 11:20 PM
I've got nothing but ((hugs)). I hope it comes out very soon! :grouphug:

WatchingThemGrow
11-13-2009, 11:46 PM
hot water on the countertop in a bowl. have another bowl microwaving more water, and just haaaaaaang there, propping up with your elbows. Epsom salt is what you're supposed to put in the water, I think.

Clarity
11-14-2009, 12:53 AM
I did the warm-hot compresses and I either nursed or pumped that breast every couple of hours or so. I also pointed the baby's nose toward the duct while nursing though I see Kellymom now says that may not help. (seemed to help me though, but YMMV) And, I also used a wide tooth comb to comb the area of my breast with the plugged duct.
Kellymom advice:
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/mastitis.html

longtallsally05
11-14-2009, 02:39 AM
Thermacare Heat Wraps - the ones sized for wrist/neck. Apply directly to your breast. These are nice & thin, you can wear your bra over it. Remove, do a little massage and nurse! Your baby will probably be able to mobilize the plug after a few rounds. For me, Thermacare Heat Wraps worked much better than warm/hot water or massage.

I agree with previous posters re: ibuprofen and lecithin supplements, plus kellymom.com for guidance.

Personally, I wouldn't massage until it hurts. You might damage the breast tissue or at least inflame the area, and more pain wouldn't help. Be kind to your body.

FYI, I had a repeatedly plugged duct where the plug never fully resolved until many months after I stopped nursing. Milk would pass through the duct, but I could feel the residual plug. If you have a really bad plug, it might hang around for a while.

Good luck!

choopi
11-15-2009, 09:44 PM
Just a reminder to also stay away from underwire bras. I look so saggy with my non-underwires, but each time I wear an underwire to work for 10 hours I get another clogged duct without fail :(

Fairy
11-17-2009, 12:10 PM
Claki, how's it hangin' on this? Pun intended ;-)

jk3
11-17-2009, 02:27 PM
Definitely get some Lecithin pills. This time has been a nightmare in terms of reccurrent plugged ducts. If I skip the Lecithin, it happens again.

Claki
12-05-2009, 01:42 AM
UPDATE: The plug has shrunk to a tiny little knot. It never did develop into an infection, but the area was very inflamed and I never successfully pushed anything out. It got better when I got my oversupply under control by only nursing on one side for a couple feedings in a row. I did get some Lecithin pills, but I haven't been good about taking them.

Thanks everyone for all the advice!

Fairy
12-05-2009, 03:09 PM
Glad to hear, Claki.