PDA

View Full Version : Are you trained/ certified in infant CPR & First Aid?

ourbabygirl
11-13-2009, 03:30 PM
Just wondering. :)
DD is 13 months, and the last time I took a CPR/ First Aid class was in college, when we had to get certified. I signed up for a local community ed class last month, and let DH be the one to go because most of it was online, with 2 hours being in a classroom at the end (on a Mon. night). He ended up only being there for about an hour/ hour and a half, as it was just him & another dad in the class, and they had gone through the online training thoroughly, so they were able to finish up quickly.
I signed myself up for one done through our school district. Good part: $5 cost. Bad part: Tomorrow from 8-2. Blech! I'm just really not in the mood to spend my Saturday that way, so DH says to look for another one of those online community ed. ones (costs $79, though).
WWYD?

TIA!

infomama
11-13-2009, 03:34 PM
I am and I would go for the $5 class.

brittone2
11-13-2009, 03:39 PM
Not currently but I had to maintain my certification for work for years. Sometimes my employer(s) brought staff in to do the trainings so that was easy. When I had to do it on my own, I often did the "challenge" through the Red Cross after I had my initial certification in place. Basically you go in and have to demonstrate you can do all of the skills and test without a class (but it saves the time of a class) and no prompts/feedback/instruction in order to renew your certification. (assuming Red Cross still allows this).

jenmcadams
11-13-2009, 03:39 PM
I last did a class when my son (now 4) was just over 1 year old. I also made my DH go. The impetus for signing up for that class was actually a posting here about a 5 year old child who had died while choking on a hot dog. I am normally pretty nonchalant about safety stuff....my kids are always in carseats, but I didn't always cut their carrots/hot dogs in half before cutting into bite sized pieces. For some reason, the story really hit me hard and I did the training (painful 5 hour class, but useful info). I was just thinking I need to review the materials/do a refresher course. My DH was a lifeguard for several years and seems to retain this stuff better than me, but I feel like I've forgotten a lot.

If you don't have other plans, I would probably bit the bullet and take the $5 class...but I'm cheap and have a ton of things I'd rather spend the extra $75 on :)

sunshine873
11-13-2009, 03:40 PM
I think it totally depends on what is more valuable to you - $ or your time?

Either way, the $ or time spent will be worth it's weight in gold (& then some) if you ever need to put the learned skills to use. Easy for me to say since the only training I've had is the basics required by the NICU before bringing DD home.

srhs
11-13-2009, 03:40 PM
You could check your local hospitals' websites to see if they offer similar classes. Ours offers one just for parents/care providers but does not provide certification. It's 3-hours long and $25. I think it's shorter because of the no-certification part.
That said, I was disappointed that it was almost entirely CPR without the First Aid components. I'd hoped to review those as well.

It does sound like the online one is also a good option since there's actual practice time at the end. The cost is OUCH though.

infomama
11-13-2009, 03:41 PM
If you do the online class, you won't be able to get hands on with the dummies which is an important part of the training IMO.

Reyadawnbringer
11-13-2009, 04:33 PM
If you do the online class, you won't be able to get hands on with the dummies which is an important part of the training IMO.

:yeahthat:

I did take infant CPR training. We had planned on going to a class that we had to pay for but they were full. DH is certified in adult and infant CPR since he is a medical professional, as for me... I was trained in a free class run by a nurse practitioner while we were staying at Dell.

It was totally worth the time spent. Most people didn't want to practice on the dummies... I think they were afraid of looking stupid or something, but I just jumped right in. What is the point of going to the class if you don't practice the practical application of the technique learned?

ourbabygirl
11-13-2009, 04:51 PM
Thanks for the responses!
Actually, there is a 2-hour class component at the end, where you practice on the dummies and stuff. There's just a big portion of info. online that you read through and take little mini-tests throughout. It's just that I would take most of it online, and 2 hours in class at the end, versus 6 hours all in class.

niccig
11-13-2009, 04:58 PM
I did the class and I like that. I think some things are better at hands-on delivery. But I agree, 6 hours on a weekend is difficult...unless you look at it as time away from the kids and DH has to be at home. I need to redo mine, but I have to do the Professional Rescuer CPR if I want to keep my Rescue Scuba Diver certification. I've never had to rescue anyone, and I hope I never do. The CPR class is 8 hours and only on Saturdays, so I'll have to work it out with DH.

lchang25000
11-13-2009, 05:08 PM
I took the infant/child CPR at my local Red Cross location when I was 8 months pregnant cause I want to be prepared for anything.

daisymommy
11-13-2009, 05:14 PM
I became certified when Joshua was born...7 years ago. I hate to say it, but at this point I've forgotten most of what I learned. With 3 kiddos at home, I need to go back for a refresher course!

JTsMom
11-13-2009, 05:17 PM
I was officially certified at one point, and then took another class when I was pg w/DS. I need a refresher though.

elephantmeg
11-13-2009, 05:54 PM
yep but I'm a nurse. But I would be even if I wasn't. And my babysitter is too. I'm also PALS certified (pediatric advanced life support) and every time I take the class I'm even more parinoid about my kids for days.

kijip
11-13-2009, 06:31 PM
Yes. I get a refresher every 1-2 years. It's been a job requirement for a long time.

ThreeofUs
11-13-2009, 07:07 PM
Wouldn't want to be uncertified, esp with DS2, whom I've had to Heimlich 3 times now. (EVERY thing goes in his mouth....)

The Saturday will be worth it, and it certainly won't last til 2.