PDA

View Full Version : Fever after H1N1 shot, should I be worried?

jess_g
11-13-2009, 03:57 PM
Ds is 9. He just got the H1N1 shot on Saturday and then on Wed he came down with a temp which is not going away. We are taking him into the doctors today. I am wondering if there could be a connection between the shot and the fever? Is there anything I special I need to discuss with the doctor? He is breathing fine, he just has the fever and no energy.

Thanks to dh for making me worry about this. I did not even think there could be a connection until I talked to him on the phone.

Jessica.

brittone2
11-13-2009, 04:08 PM
Here's the CDC's take on it:
http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/vaccination/vaccine_safety_qa.htm

JBaxter
11-13-2009, 04:11 PM
aches , pains & fever is some of the listed side effects. They would have been found on the package insert of the vaccine. If you ask for it they will give it to you but you have to ask they dont volunteer it

It says you cant get the flu from the vaccine but you can have flu like symptoms.

bubbaray
11-13-2009, 04:13 PM
My DD#1 had a mild fever 48hr after she got the shot. I called the nurse line and they said that that was within the window for it being due to the shot (and she had no other symptoms).

GL!

codex57
11-13-2009, 04:17 PM
Is this your first time vaccinating?

Sillygirl
11-13-2009, 06:14 PM
He could also have the flu, since the shot doesn't start protecting you for ten days. He wouldn't GET the flu from the shot, but since most areas are at peak epidemic levels right now, he could have picked it up somewhere.

babybunny
11-13-2009, 07:58 PM
Poor DS got the H1N1 flu shot last Friday and then tested positive for Type A flu on Monday. Lots of kids are out sick in his Pre-K. At least one other kid tested positive for Type A.