PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for one year old who pulls his own hair out

daisyd
11-14-2009, 08:37 AM
This must sound pretty weird, but 13 month old DC comforts himself by pulling a bunch of his hair out at the roots and then sucking his thumb with the hair clutched in his fist. He cries and protests if I take the hair out and saying "no". Redirecting his hand or covering his head with my hands does not work. In fact, he just pulls some more hair out. This has been going on for 2-3 months now. But its getting to the stage that there are bare areas of his scalp and there's hair in his poop sometimes (yikes). Has anyone else seen kids who do this? How can I stop this? Thanks for reading!

Melaine
11-14-2009, 08:42 AM
I heard that putting olive oil or baby oil in DC's hair makes it difficult to grasp. If it were me, I would cut it as short as possible and then maybe do that at night? I do think you need to address it as soon as possible before the habit becomes more ingrained. Here is a link with some advice:
http://www.babycenter.com/400_how-can-i-get-my-daughter-to-stop-pulling-her-hair-out_500140_1001.bc

One of my DD's did this to a lesser extent for a short period, so I did a little reading about it.

daisyd
11-14-2009, 08:55 AM
Thanks for the link Melaine! I did think about cutting his hair but he has a mop of unruly curls that is so adorable. The other thing we thought of is a helmet/ hat of some kind.

infomama
11-14-2009, 09:00 AM
Just me but I would opt for a haircut before the helmet. If he will go for a hat I may try that too. GL.

Melaine
11-14-2009, 09:06 AM
Thanks for the link Melaine! I did think about cutting his hair but he has a mop of unruly curls that is so adorable. The other thing we thought of is a helmet/ hat of some kind.

My girls have super curly hair too. I think (for us) that is part of the issue. The curls are just really tempting to pull and since we don't comb it often there are a lot of loose hairs that will pull out easily, ykwim?
I have to say, if my girls had bald spots from pulling, I would trim it really short in a heartbeat. That would really concern me.

pinkmomagain
11-14-2009, 10:30 AM
Nip it in the bud and cut dc's hair super short. I'm sure for most kids it's a phase, but you most definitely don't want it to become a habit.

I speak from some experience.

daisyd
11-14-2009, 01:57 PM
The curls are just really tempting to pull and since we don't comb it often.

That 's true for us too.

I have to say, if my girls had bald spots from pulling, I would trim it really short in a heartbeat.

This is what we will end up doing. The thing is DC's curls I'm guessing will be outgrown soon. Both DH and I started out with curly hair which eventually became straight...oh well, bye-bye curly headed DC

Tondi G
11-14-2009, 01:58 PM
I have a neighbor who's daughter did this. She tried every alternative, consulted with the pediatrician etc and eventually had to shave her DD head. She was around a year and a half. By the time her hair was grown back in enough to enable her to do it again she was over the habit! I would shave his head right away.

daisyd
11-14-2009, 02:00 PM
Thanks everyone, for your inputs.

jgenie
11-14-2009, 02:26 PM
One of my brothers did this when he was a baby. My parents eventually gave him a buzz cut but he already had a bald spot. The bald spot did grow out. He also used to hold on to hairbrushes when he was tired. He got to play with the hair and wouldn't pull on his own hair. GL

Globetrotter
11-16-2009, 05:22 AM
If he is eating it, that can cause problems (basically, a hairball that might have to be removed surgically). Best to nip this in the bud, maybe by covering his hands with mittens, etc...

You can read more here: www.trich.org (http://www.trich.org)

daisyd
11-17-2009, 01:29 PM
Jgenie thanks for writing. Its good to know the hair will grow back

Globetrotter, thanks for the link!

SM23Mama21
11-17-2009, 01:47 PM
Jgenie thanks for writing. Its good to know the hair will grow back

Sometimes it doesn't grow back. My DF has trich and her hair will not grow back. She now has to wear a wig. I would take a bunch of pictures of your DC cute curls and then cut them.

SammyeGail
11-17-2009, 03:56 PM
His curls may come back, one of my twins has 'big curls' curly hair, when its cut short it looks straight, but when it grows out its a big curls mess, but so adorable! I cut it last Dec., and didn't cut it again until about 7 months later, I had to make myself, I knew all that hair was making him hot.

When I first read your post I thought of getting a baby doll with hair since he likes the feel of hair, but I wouldn't want him putting that in his mouth either.

Like other PPs, I would cut it or get it cut. I don't know which you plan, I used to us the clippers on DS's hair, but now I find it best to use sissors and my fingers for measurement on the top/crown area, and to do it when they are asleep ;). I do one side then roll them over and do the other. I've only done this twice.

I don't like how short the 1" attachment is, but in your case I would use it. Best of luck!! I hope if you choose to cut it he kicks the habit!

daisyd
11-17-2009, 05:17 PM
Sometimes it doesn't grow back. My DF has trich and her hair will not grow back. She now has to wear a wig. I would take a bunch of pictures of your DC cute curls and then cut them.
Wow! Thats a scary thought. DC is definitely getting his haircut.

daisyd
11-17-2009, 05:18 PM
Like other PPs, I would cut it or get it cut. I don't know which you plan, I used to us the clippers on DS's hair, but now I find it best to use sissors and my fingers for measurement on the top/crown area, and to do it when they are asleep ;). I do one side then roll them over and do the other. I've only done this twice.

I don't like how short the 1" attachment is, but in your case I would use it. Best of luck!! I hope if you choose to cut it he kicks the habit!

Sam, that was very helpful, thank you!

Globetrotter
11-17-2009, 10:45 PM
While it's good to be concerned and vigilant, don't panic! Apparently, when it happens very early in childhood the kids tend to outgrow it. Also, the hair WILL grow back unless it goes on for years and years and the shaft is damaged (or something along those lines). I would be concerned that he is eating it, as that can cause complications.

fauve01
11-18-2009, 12:55 AM
If he is eating it, that can cause problems (basically, a hairball that might have to be removed surgically).

You can read more here: www.trich.org (http://www.trich.org)

OT~ this was a story on Nip/Tuck recently. YUCK.

anne

pinkmomagain
11-18-2009, 09:19 AM
Two of my dds have trich. I'm sure my 3rd will too. :-( For my 2 who do have it, they did not start until they were about 9 yo. One of my dds has been through long periods of "remission" and her hair has most definitely grown back. Lack of regrowth is probably a concern after many, many years of pulling. I do think some kids start as infants/toddlers and simply grow out of it.

I am actually going to my first conference about Trich this weekend. If I learn anything that I think you could benefit from, I'd be happy to report back.

MissyAg94
11-20-2009, 11:07 AM
My DD started this after her first birthday. She only did it in bed and I am sure that it was a soothing mechanism (she started right after my husband left for a deployment.) This probably won't work for you if you child sucks their thumb but I put socks over her hands at night and taped them to her pajamas with that white paper medical tape. I'm sure some will find this unacceptable but it worked for us and my daughter quit. And she never protested the "gloves" at all.