PDA

View Full Version : Magnatiles for 5 yo boy or something else

niccig
11-14-2009, 04:55 PM
DS likes magnets and he loves building. I want to get the 100 pc magnatiles set, but he saw me looking at it and said he doesn't want it. Should I still go for it or look for something else???

Oh, and which magnatiles - clear or not.

thanks.

ett
11-14-2009, 05:10 PM
Definitely clear though if he said he doesn't want them, I'm not sure I want to spend the money on it.

brittone2
11-14-2009, 05:10 PM
If you go with Magnatiles, most people I know say the clear are their kids' preferred version. We have the clear and like them a lot, but I can't compare since we've never played w/ the regular ones. I like the way the light can pass through the clears...sometimes they almost look like stained glass.

My DS is 5.5 and loves his, and my almost 3 year old has been playing w/ them for a year now. They get a ton of play here, but I think they are one of those things you have to play with to "get" how fun they are, kwim? So I can see why he might reject them. That said, if you buy them, they obviously aren't cheap, and if he doesn't like them or resists wanting to play with them since he already rejected them when he saw them...that makes it a tough situation. I'd hate for you to be out a chunk of $$ if he doesn't like them. Not sure if they'd resell quickly on CL for a significant percentage of what you paid...they might.

You could also try going with the 32 piece set and feel it out, but of course, if he likes them, that's quite a bit more per piece for the smaller set vs. the set of 100.

DH and I are debating another set of 100 for our kids. We know they'd enjoy them...perhaps if they get some holiday $$ from relatives we'll apply it to more Magnatiles. Right now they share a set of 100 and have fun, but they can both build some pretty big structures now so I know they'd enjoy having more.

niccig
11-14-2009, 05:15 PM
Definitely clear though if he said he doesn't want them, I'm not sure I want to spend the money on it.

He's never played with them, so I wonder if it's because he doesn't know what he can do with them. Ugh..I know I could get the smaller set, but I also wonder if that's not enough to really be able to play. I might just go for it, and push their play.

I know he loves magnets and building things, so you would think he would like them.