PDA

View Full Version : Help me pack for Cancun!

bluestarfish18
11-14-2009, 07:19 PM
We'll be going over Xmas (sorry Melissa!!) and I have absolutely no clue what to expect. I'm planning on bringing just a few clothes for each child. But what about formula and diapers? Should I ship stuff down before, or is there a drugstore nearby most of the resorts? There's no way I'm going to bring our BOB Dualie...so I was thinking of just buying a super-cheap umbrella stroller from BRU and bringing our Jeep carrier, that way DC can trade who gets to sit in the stroller.

Any tips would be most welcomed..thanks!

bubbaray
11-14-2009, 07:30 PM
LOL. No worries. At this rate, Cancun is lookin' pretty good to me too!

Hmmm, well, there is a Walmart there. We didn't go, so I'm not sure how close it is to the strip (where most of the hotels are), but it must be somewhat close b/c tourists do go there.

Personally, I wouldn't ship anything there. Hawaii, Whistler, yeah. Mexico, not so much. I would pay for an extra suitcase.

How I do it is I figure out how many bags I need to take, then put a few things for each person in each bag. That way, if one doesn't make it or is late, one person isn't out all of their clothes/toiletries/diapers, etc..

Definitely do NOT bring the BOB. I wouldn't count on it making it there in one piece to start with, and I also wouldn't count on it fitting through doorways when you are there. I would recommend something like a Maclaren Quest/Triumph or even a Volo (though you will miss the recline -- but its super light). Albee baby is probably your cheapest bet for those -- and even though they are more than a cheapo stroller from BRU, you will get more use out of it in the long run, KWIM?

catsnkid
11-14-2009, 09:06 PM
I would pack what I needed for the kids. You don't want to schlep out of your resort if you don't have to. I think the Walmart is a little ways away.

misshollygolightly
11-20-2009, 09:04 PM
I've been to Cancun, but not with little ones in tow. I would think you might want to call or email the concierge desk at your hotel/resort and find out what they recommend (bringing diapers or buying them there, etc.). Depending on your hotel/resort, you might be able to purchase dipes and other personal items in the little hotel sundries store, or even have dipes delivered to your hotel room (from the local Walmart or whatever). My experience with Cancun is that many of the resorts are very service-oriented, and at the very least, the concierge desk should be able to make recommendations for this sort of thing--esp. if your resort advertises itself as child-friendly. If I were in your situation, I'd probably take formula with me (especially if your kiddos are particular about the brand), but plan on getting most of the dipes there. Good luck! Sounds like a super-fun trip!

ThreeofUs
11-20-2009, 09:09 PM
Me! Me! Tucked into a duffle, ppuuullleeaassseeee!

Seriously, any time I go to an island, I pack lots of whatever I can think of - and plan on going to town/whatever stores are within shuttle distance - on the first and third days. I even have good lists, but some things just always elude me.

Take anything you or your family needs to eat or take for good health. I would think about each meal, what you're doing for them, and how you should be dressed. Then about each beach day.

The BOB sounds like a great idea.