PDA

View Full Version : help stroller advice: BJ or Bob Rev and double or single??

aac
11-14-2009, 08:02 PM
I'm currently pregnant with DC2 (due in early Jan) and DS1 just turned 2. He doesn't have any more issues in riding in strollers than the next kid - he will ride in it fine, but does get interested in other things when we are in stores/malls and wants to get out to run around. Any stroller advice would be appreciated. I keep going back and fourth on whether or not I should get a double or a single. Right now, we just have an Inglesina Swift - so suped up umbrella stroller and the Graco snap and go.

I do like to take walks outside and hope to be exercising soon after the birth of the second, but just walking. If I do any serious jogging it will only be when I can leave the babies at home with DH.

DS1 also goes to daycare during the day, so I'm not sure I need a double except for weekends and afternoon/evenings.

I was planning on just putting DC2 in the Bjorn and getting a BJCM or BJCE.

But after reading some of the other threads I'm now debating if I should get a double - BJCMD or BJCED.

Then...I just found the a Bob rev single on sale for $270 and the Bob Rev Dualie for $398 at a local store (brand new, display models) and so am considering them as well.

Any advice - does anyone have any of those strollers and is willing to advise on my situation?

Thanks!!

jacksmoma
11-14-2009, 09:40 PM
if it's neighborhood walks you plan on doing def. a double- a 2 year old can't keep up for sure! i have the bjced for my 2 year old and 6 month old and LOVE it- it has MUCH more features than a bob and the canopies are HUGE plus the seat reclines flat and is very padded for an infant which the bob is not. the bob does push better but the bjced is a better all around stroller. do a search on this board, we talk a LOT about these two strollers, we are all (mostly!) big big baby jogger fans here. i would get the bjced as it pushes much much better that the mini outside, but a bjcm would be perfect for the car- that's the two strollers i have and it's a great combo. be sure to check out the double belly bar and the car seat adaptor/tray for the bjcm :) hth!

arivecchi
11-14-2009, 09:48 PM
BJ double. A lot of kids outgrow the Bobs by age 2 height-wise. The BJ strollers are also easier to fold and have many more features.

jacksmoma
11-14-2009, 11:49 PM
just want to add that it is different when you have two kids- you can't always be chasing after the toddler when you've got a baby so it's nice to have somewhere to put them....someone here once told me that and it is so true! and sometimes you don't want to sling baby (long walks?) and they need there own seat...

aac
11-15-2009, 12:21 AM
Thanks so much for the responses! This is also helping convince DH that we need at least one new stroller (he tends to think they are way too overpriced and so is more likely to push for a cheap model/brand).

Sounds like I'm leaning towards the BJ series based on all the posts to this thread and others.

A couple more questions -

DH is a little over 6 feet tall. How are the handle bars on the BJ series? Any one better/higher than the other or adjustable?

and comments on the Phil and Teds?

jacksmoma
11-15-2009, 10:59 AM
the elite and classic adjust- the mini does not :)

neeleymartin
11-15-2009, 11:04 AM
and comments on the Phil and Teds?

i loathe the phil and ted's. worst stroller EVER!!! great idea, but terrible execution.

here is the thread to help explain my issues: http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=328619&highlight=phil+ted

hth

Melaine
11-15-2009, 11:25 AM
I'm kind of torn about BJ. Not impressed with quality or customer service. What I mean is, it is a great stroller (We have City Series Double 2007 1/2) but if you have an issue CS is sketchy at best. Our frame broke within year with light use and getting a replacement took several months. Not impressed. After reading all the wobbly wheel/CS issues I probably will not go with a BJ in the future.
That being said, I do think a double is vital if you will be out alone with two DC with any consistency. When you need a double, you REALLY need it. There have been times I just wouldn't have been able to live without one (as in would have missed a lot of outings).
My DH is 6'4", I am 5' 6" and the BJ height adjust works great for both us.

arivecchi
11-15-2009, 11:39 AM
I've dealth with BJ CS as well and they were super helpful to me. Just another perspective. That said, I have never even had to contact Valco CS because my Valco is a freakin' tank. If I had had more $$$ for a double, I would have definitely gone with a Valco Twin Trimode.

aac
11-16-2009, 07:35 PM
So, I visited the local store and the manager is looking to sell the Valco display model as well as his BJCCS and BJCCD display models at discounted prices. Didn't consider the Valco before until the last post. And I was worried about the BJCC series just because it was discontinued, but the manager didn't seem to think it would be an issue with their CS or accessories...so now I am considering both.

URG! the stroller struggle just seems to be getting more complicated.

Have pretty much ruled out the BOB, since we have a Chariot double and I think they would overlap in purposes (big strollers that can be used for working out). So, I'm basically in the market for that in between mall and workout stroller (keeping in mind that I have one toddler and have another one coming soon).

I like that the Valco seems to the the only one that has both the jump seat option and the hitch hiker/kickboard. Seems to add quite a bit of versatility. What are the pros/cons with the Valco.

There's not any info on the BJCC on baby jogger's website anymore, but I know it's compatible with the jump seat as well. Has anyone tested these jump seats? Are they worth the savings in cost or a waste of money an should I just invest in a double?

Anyone do any comparison on the BJCC v. the Valco?

Do I just need to start a new thread since this one has evolved so far from the original title? :banghead:

Thanks so much for everyone's help and patience with me!!

arivecchi
11-16-2009, 07:41 PM
Both the Valco and the BJ will fit tall children which is great. The Valco is harder to fold and probably heavier. Not exactly a car stroller. The Valco is definitely the better stoller in terms of construction and has many of the same features as the BJ strollers. BJs are way easier to fold. The Valco does have the toddler seat and the hitch hiker. I have had my Valco single for 3 years and it still looks like new after tons of use and abuse. I would definitely go for the Valco if you can afford it - much better quality. I have both a Valco Trimode and a Baby Jogger City Classic Double. HTH.

the2bobs
11-17-2009, 08:33 PM
Like you, I suddenly need a double b/c I have a 2 yr old & 2 mo old. Thought I could get buy w/ the carrier/sling and a single stroller, boy was I wrong. So I've begun the quest for the perfect double--it doesn't exist. I want one that will hold an infant car seat--the BJMD doesn't do it well, so wouldn't bother. It does fold really well, and DH loved it. But I want the Valco Ion. Love this stroller! Too bad it's $589! From what we saw, all are imperfect and expensive.

WatchingThemGrow
11-17-2009, 09:12 PM
bj cust. service has been great for me, and I don't ever plan on running with a double stroller either. I like the seatback height, the handlebar, and the fold with the BJ double.

aac
11-18-2009, 09:44 PM
Thought I was going to sling the baby and get away with a single, but based on everyone's feedback (which I soooo greatly appreciate), I am def going to get a double or at least one that will accomodate a second child seated. I think I've narrowed it down to the BJCCD - which is on sale at a lot of places right now, and the Valco Trimode (single) with the jump seat. I would get both, but not sure DH would go for that, since we have an Inglesina Swift and Chariot Double.

BUT, just to make things a little more exciting, we just found out we're headed to Italy for 2 years...now wondering if that affects the stroller situation since I now expect to do more walking and using of public transportation/trains as opposed to using the car.

Anyone know anything about Italy? I've never been - sidewalk room? Can I fit with a double side by side? Ruled the BJCMD out because wanted a stroller that could handle a little more terrain. And thanks for the feedback about the BJCM not handling the car seat very well.

I'll probably start another thread titleing it with Italy...but feel free to respond to this thread too...