PDA

View Full Version : Board games for 2 year old?

purpleeyes
11-14-2009, 10:28 PM
Hey-

My 5 year old DS loves board games-he has a bunch and I've already bought him 2 more for christmas...but I realized that it might be cool to get a board game for DD as well. She's two years old... are there any good games out there for her age? Or something she could open at christmas and maybe play in the spring time when she is 2.5?

TIA!!

vonfirmath
11-14-2009, 11:25 PM
At barely two, my son was enjoying "Go Away Monsters" and Candyland Castle

I also hear good things about Snail's Pace Race but we don't have it :( http://www.thingamababy.com/baby/2007/05/snailspacerace.html

Memory played with fewer cards works

We are hoping for Haba's Orchard for Christmas.

Board Game geeklist of games for two year olds:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/7731

ett
11-15-2009, 12:07 AM
If your DD knows her letters, numbers, shapes, and colors, Cariboo would be good for her. DS2 has been playing it since he was before 2.5. We started with him playing it by himself but now we can play it together taking turns. We've also had success with bingo type games like Zingo.

I've tried Snail's Pace Race several times but he wasn't getting it and just wanted to play with the snails.

BeachBum
11-15-2009, 08:56 AM
Candy Land Castle would be perfect and she could play right away I would think.

hillview
11-15-2009, 10:19 AM
Candy Land Castle would be perfect
:yeahthat:
/hillary

Melaine
11-15-2009, 10:30 AM
My kids didn't really take to Candyland Castle but they have been playing Memory with all the cards for months. They just got one for their 3rd Birthday from TJ Maxx (I believe) that has Noah's Ark animals. They love it, we literally play it every day. I like it because it is actually challenging for me. They can and do beat me at it. I tell myself playing it will help my mind improve, right?
We just take one turn (no second turn if you get a match) to keep it simple (and avoid arguments). We also don't really keep score, just play for the sake of finding matches.

veronica
11-15-2009, 02:19 PM
I totally echo PP's that Candyland Castle and Cariboo are great.

You also can do memory but we started early with just some of the sets and played with them face up at first so DD and DS could get the gist of "matching". It was great!

alien_host
11-15-2009, 02:36 PM
As PPs said, Candy Land Castle is great for 2 year olds.

We also played "matching games" a lot, I found some cute cards at LLBean with animals and just took out part of the deck so there weren't too many pairs. I was amazed at DD's memory at 2. Or you could use Memory and just put out part of the deck too. I've also used a regular deck of card and just use black or red and match the numbers. Great for number recognition (and the J, Q, K, Ace).

Jen841
11-15-2009, 09:43 PM
I remember seeing this, but don't know the age for it.

purpleeyes
11-15-2009, 11:07 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. candy land castle looks perfect!!

fivi2
11-16-2009, 12:15 PM
Go Away Monsters!

lovebeingamom
11-16-2009, 03:37 PM
DD has been playing Candy Land (the original), HiHo Cherry-O, and Memory since she was 2 - 2.5 yo. She loves them. We are hoping for some new games for Christmas like the following:

Zingo
Sequence for Kids
Zimbbos by Blue Orange
CooCoo the Rocking Clown Game by Blue Orange
Cranium Hullabaloo
Cranium Cariboo
Pre-School LOTTO Game by eeBoo
eeBoo Life on Earth Memory Game
What Time is it? Time Telling Game by eeBoo

We love playing games in our house ..... fun, but educational.