PDA

View Full Version : Best length for jeans

niccig
11-15-2009, 02:09 AM
I have a pair of Gap regular length jeans that I need to hem - even with heels they're dragging on the ground. These will be my jeans for heels, as I have ankle length jeans that work for flats.

So, how long should they be? I'm going to take them to the dry cleaner and I hope they can make the hem look like the jean's hem. Any advice on what to ask for. I've had dress pants hemmed before, but not jeans.

Thanks.

elektra
11-15-2009, 02:18 AM
I have never had jeans hemmed either but DH has. I don't know what the part at the bottom of jeans is called exactly but make sure you have them take off that part, then hem the jeans, then sew it back on. The jeans will not look right hemmed unless they put that part back on IMO. Hopefully someone else will have some sort of clue what I am talking about and they will chime in with the exact terminology on what I am referring to.
Make sure you take the heels with you when you get fitted too.
I don't know the rules of hemming but I like my pants to be as long as possible without touching the ground, so leave 1/4 inch maybe? 1/2 inch max, IMO.

jerigirl
11-15-2009, 12:06 PM
If they don't hem and use the (gold) jeans thread (or whatever matches), ask for a "Eurpean hem". They shouldn't have to detach/reattach anything.
http://www.daciaray.com/?p=38

pastrygirl
11-15-2009, 12:51 PM
I almost always need to hem my jeans about 1 to 1.5 inches. I took them to the dry cleaners a couple of weeks ago and just asked for 1.5 inches, with no other instructions. They look like the original hem. :)

I didn't have to hem the new "Dreamer" jeans from Old Navy. They were perfect! I think I have about a 30" inseam (I'm 5'7, and my legs are not long or short).

KathyN115
11-15-2009, 09:53 PM
Make sure you wash and dry the jeans first - you don't want to get them hemmed, and then have them shrink and be too short! Also, if you want the hem to look the same as it does now, ask for "original hem." Otherwise the hem will just be plain.

My new Gap jeans are way too long also, but the ankle are too short. But I love how they fit, which is very unusual for me!