PDA

View Full Version : Non-stick or silicone muffin pan?

MoeJoe
11-15-2009, 08:59 PM
I have only ever used non-stick muffin pans and all in all have been happy with them- beside that they are murderous to clean! I am looking for a new pan to fit in my (large-sized) toaster/convection oven- it fits a 9X13 foil pan.

The non-stick pans are all slightly too large to fit in- at least the ones I've found. I don't know about the silicone, but I also don't know anything about using silicone bakeware. Any BTDT opinions please?

TIA!

sunshine873
11-15-2009, 09:05 PM
Strictly talking muffin pans - I hated making muffins for years, only because I despised cleaning out the stupid pans. To be honest, I don't know that I've ever tried non-stick muffin pans, but I'm not crazy about non-stick stuff in general. You never know when something is going to start flaking off...yuk.

I have a silicone muffin pan (with a metal frame for structure) & am in LOVE with it! It is super-easy to clean, and I like the way it bakes too.

For cakes, brownies, etc...I prefer glass.

Neatfreak
11-15-2009, 09:09 PM
I have thrown out my non-stick muffin tins in favour of silicone. However, it's very expensive silicone. The cheaper ones I've tried I've actually loathed.

Melaine
11-15-2009, 09:15 PM
Can you guys specify which silicone pans you love? I'd like to love one too, but haven't so far.

hillview
11-15-2009, 09:18 PM
I have thrown out my non-stick muffin tins in favour of silicone. However, it's very expensive silicone. The cheaper ones I've tried I've actually loathed.

What brand do you suggest?
/hillary

MontrealMum
11-15-2009, 09:22 PM
I've gotten rid of all my non-stick in favor of glass or silicone. Some of my silicone is Kitchen-maid, some Calphalon. The Calphalon is thicker, but both work well. The Kitchenmaid mini muffin pan is a PITA to clean, but that's because the holes are so small, the other pieces by them (lg. muffins, and bundt pan) are fine. I have bought pieces at Tuesday Morning, outlet stores, and Winner's (Can. TJ Maxx).

Katigre
11-15-2009, 09:23 PM
Neither. I don't bake in nonstick or silicon anymore. I got baking stones from Pampered Chef two years ago (other places make and sell them too) and use those instead. You have to season them at first, but I like how they cook and that I don't have to be concerned about materials leaching into my food.

(FWIW, my other pots and pans are stainless steel, enamel-coated stainless steel, and cast iron and other baking dishes are glass).

SnuggleBuggles
11-15-2009, 09:25 PM
I have some Wilton and some Kitchen Aid silicone. I really love for the mini muffins being able to turn the pan practically inside out to really clean the rims. I am fine with my regular, Calphalon muffin pans but for mini I want silicone.

Beth

brittone2
11-15-2009, 09:53 PM
I prefer to do muffins in Pampered Chef's stoneware muffin pan. It cleans up pretty easily for me. If I do something really sticky like mini egg quiches or something like that I prefer silicone. We don't really even own any teflon/nonstick stuff anymore other than a springform pan.

The stoneware makes for nice crusty browning on the muffins which is sometimes tough to get w/ silicone.

I use glass for a lot of other baking (Pyrex).

gatorsmom
11-15-2009, 10:11 PM
Neither. When I was in college I bought some well-worn metal muffin pans at estate sale. They were clearly well-loved and beat up. I love them because I can grease and flour the insides and the muffins come out fine. And the pans stay beat up looking just like how I purchased them! :)

DrSally
11-15-2009, 10:18 PM
I had silicone, but found that the muffins didn't come out all the way and they were just as hard, if not harder to clean. They still get greasy and linty. I prefer the nonstick ones now.

ETA: My prob was prob partially that I bought really cheap silicone pans.

sunshine873
11-15-2009, 11:35 PM
My beloved silicone muffin "tin" is Kitchenaid. I think I bought it at TJ Maxx or something like that (but it was years ago.)

niccig
11-15-2009, 11:41 PM
I use non-stick muffin pans, but I always user paper liners.

gobadgers
11-15-2009, 11:52 PM

:yeahthat:

DebbieJ
11-16-2009, 10:31 AM
:yeahthat:

I was wondering why no one had mentioned that yet. Use paper liners--easy cleanup!

wellyes
11-16-2009, 10:41 AM
Yes, I use a plain metal one without any coating but use paper liners.

MoeJoe
11-16-2009, 11:44 AM
Thanks everyone for your opinions! I think I am going to stick with the non-stick bec. it seems that it is evenly divided anyhow. And I do like how the muffins come out.

I don't use paper liners bec. I hate peeling them off when eating them. And I feel like it gets crustier w/o them.

Now back to the beginning- to try to find a pan small enough to fit my toaster oven.... In case a/o knows off hand- the interior of the oven can fit a pan about 12X13 max....

crl
11-16-2009, 12:55 PM
Neither. I am way more afraid of teflon than I am of fat so I just grease the muffin cups well and haven't had any trouble getting muffins or cupcakes out.

Catherine

codex57
11-16-2009, 02:27 PM
Silicone has made my life a lot easier. Plus, I can just pop it in the dishwasher with no ill effects. Bought at Costco so no idea what brand but prolly a name brand one like Kitchenaid or Cephalon.