PDA

View Full Version : Those with 6 year olds...what's on your gift list this year?

jerseygirl07067
11-16-2009, 02:26 AM
I am venturing into uncharted territory, since with my other two DDs I've BTDT, lol.

So far I'm considering: (I should mention we celebrate Christmas and Chanukah, and her birthday falls on Dec 22nd! - so this is an all inclusive list)

- Leapfrog Leapster with a few games geared for her age
- yet another purse with puppies (she is obsessed with stuffed puppies and her bed resembles a dog kennel!)
- a scooter
- Bob Books (the second level)
- various art types of things for stocking stuffers (new markers, paint pens, crayons, etc.)
- ceramic animals/crafts that you can paint
- instructional art book on how to draw stuff - she has a good aptitude for drawing
- my mom is thinking of getting her an American Girl doll, but I'm hoping her interest in these fades away as they are pricey!!!
- Webkinz animals

EDITED to add: Yes I know this is way early, but I hate shopping, and hate the crowds even more. My goal this year is to be done by early december.

hbridge
11-16-2009, 08:59 AM
My 6 yo is getting

Playmobil
Walkie Talkies
Small Kota (talking, walking dinosaur)
American Girl accessories
Wobble Deck
Microscope
Watch
Calico Critters
ZhuZhu Pets

I too HATE to shop so we are done shopping. We have a few more art project to do along with baking and candy making for some gifts, but the shopping is done (thank goodness).

Hope this helps....

hellokitty
11-16-2009, 09:53 AM
My almost six yr old is getting:

Legos
Bakugan
erector junior set
leapster games
tag books
science kits
Wooden treehouse (the kind you play with figurines, not a REAL tree house)
Star wars AT Walker toy
Snap circuits

ett
11-16-2009, 10:00 AM
My 6yo is getting ...

Lego sets
board games
Snap Circuits
books

MMEand1
11-16-2009, 10:05 AM
My 6yo is getting a pile of pipes with various shaped adaptors. He likes to create and build things. We don't do a whole lot of gifts, so aside from a new toothbrush and some fruit in his stocking, this is likely all he will get.

His Birthday is this week and we got him an Astro's jersey that was marked down to $1.74 at Target (I think a worker marked it down with the idea of buying it when they go off of work because the sticker said "as is", but there was nothing wrong with it and it was not in any section of the store that it should have been in, so I think a worker was trying to hide it).

alexsmommy
11-16-2009, 10:31 AM
EDITED to add: Yes I know this is way early, but I hate shopping, and hate the crowds even more. My goal this year is to be done by early december.

Nah, it's not early. Go check in Around the House - there are pinned threads already addressing this for the last month. I'm the same way. I don't hate shopping per se but I hate feeling rushed or being forced to do a ton of shopping at one time, so I'm probably half way done with shopping by now, usually 3/4 done by Black Friday.

jamesmom
11-16-2009, 11:16 AM
My 6 year old is getting Legos, a Nintendo DS, accessories and a Nintendo DS game.

Ivy_CA
11-16-2009, 12:07 PM
My son's getting:

Fisher Price Trio Castle Building set (the big one, not the gate, though he wants all of them, we'll see what other family members get)
Pixos design station
some kind of nerf gun, though I'm shying away from the huge machine-gun style ones
New Super Mario Bros Wii (to share with his brother)

SASM
11-16-2009, 02:47 PM
Gosh...I am sooo NOT in holiday mode yet...not good.

I will comment on the Leapster. My 6.5yo DS has had a Leapster for about 2 years and plays with it in spurts at home and while we are out and about. Although it supposedly has games for up to approx Grade 2, I think that he will outgrow it sooner than later. I would not consider him above average ~ he is more average to slightly below. He has been asking for a NDS. I have no plans to buy him one anytime soon, as he still has his Leapster, but your DD would most likely get more longevity out of a NDS. That being said, I am uncertain if NDS has educational games. I LOVE Leapster, as it is very educational and holds my kids' attn. You can obviously pass the Leapster down to your other DDs as well, if you go that route. Your middle DD is at a good age for Leapster now.

IMO, the BEST time to buy the games is next week. Target always has them on sale the Mon-Wed BEFORE Thanksgiving for $15.

Good luck!

Giftswise, DS is most likely getting some Legos, something Star Wars, some books. Haven't figured out the rest yet. The Snap Circuits have always piqued my interest...maybe this year. :)

As far as AG doll go, if you think that she'll like it, go for it. They only stay in this phase for so long. I have read that the Target AG knock off doll clothing fits AG dolls. :)

Raidra
11-16-2009, 05:03 PM
Colwyn is getting a Jedi robe, a playmat/bag for his Star Wars guys, pockets to hang from the rails of his bunkbed, the Clone Wars Wii game, probably a bigger Snap Circuits set, and I don't know what else. I got a great deal on a Quadrilla over the summer that will be for both boys. The robe, playmat, and pockets are all handmade.. I hate just buying whatever toys strike their fancies for Xmas and try to go with more handmade/original things.

brittone2
11-16-2009, 06:56 PM
DS will be a few weeks shy of 6 at Christmas.

He's getting:
-Playmobil (a big farm set to share with my DD, and a pirate set from Costco from my mom, as well as some random figures, etc. that i'll stick in his stocking).
-Darda race track (to replace our annoying Hotwheels one)
-books. Mostly non fiction (DK Eyewitness and Eyewonder, and a few other science-themed books.). Might pick up some new chapter books for him as he just finally started reading chapter books independently, which he's excited about.
-tornado tube for his stocking, maybe a small K'nex set or two for his stocking (picked some up in little bags at AC Moore last year and he enjoyed them)
-some new art supplies
-maybe another set of 100 magnatiles to share w/ DD?
-games. Set and Rush Hour Jr.

For his bday I'm thinking:
Smithsonian engine kit and/or other science themed kit
games (if I don't get Set or Rush Hour Jr. for Christmas I'll give it to him for his birthday).
Cast and Paint Krazy Kars
kinda stumped beyond that at the moment.
He asked for a super soft blanket (I just bought a velour blanket for the belly baby and he loves it) but I think he might be over that by the time his bday rolls around.
Books?

firstbaby
11-16-2009, 10:01 PM

He's getting:
-Playmobil (a big farm set to share with my DD, and a pirate set from Costco from my mom, as well as some random figures, etc. that i'll stick in his stocking).
-books. Mostly non fiction (DK Eyewitness and Eyewonder, and a few other science-themed books.). Might pick up some new chapter books for him as he just finally started reading chapter books independently, which he's excited about.
-tornado tube for his stocking, maybe a small K'nex set or two for his stocking (picked some up in little bags at AC Moore last year and he enjoyed them)
-some new art supplies
-maybe another set of 100 magnatiles to share w/ DD?
-games. Set and Rush Hour Jr.

For his bday I'm thinking:
Smithsonian engine kit and/or other science themed kit
games (if I don't get Set or Rush Hour Jr. for Christmas I'll give it to him for his birthday).
Cast and Paint Krazy Kars
kinda stumped beyond that at the moment.
He asked for a super soft blanket (I just bought a velour blanket for the belly baby and he loves it) but I think he might be over that by the time his bday rolls around.
Books?

DS will be 6 in January and I just gave him Rush Hour Jr last month. HUGE HIT. In fact, the couple of days that I had the flu, it was his math for the day since we HS, LOL. However, just for something to think about, I wish I had gotten the regular Rush Hour for him. He's worked through most of the cards and the full size edition has add on cars and cards you can buy. Apparently they aren't compatible with the Jr. set. So, just something to consider. But, LOVE it anyway.

Momof3Labs
11-16-2009, 10:48 PM
DS1's wish list includes (he's probably not getting all of this, fwiw):

Legos (power miners and space police)
John Williams greatest hits (for the Stars Wars music)
Break your own Geodes (price just jumped on amazon, so maybe not)
Think Fun 36 Cube
A few Magic Treehouse books
The 39 Clues book 6
Snap Circuits student guide
Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian DVD

Plus I already have some games put away for him (Pictureka, Leapster and ThinkFun), some add-ons for his Quadrilla and a set of mini Automoblox.

ETA: Yes, I know that I have a 7yo. But close enough for the thread, right?

o_mom
11-16-2009, 10:51 PM
DS1's wish list includes (he's probably not getting all of this, fwiw):

Legos (power miners and space police)
John Williams greatest hits (for the Stars Wars music)
Break your own Geodes (price just jumped on amazon, so maybe not)
Think Fun 36 Cube
A few Magic Treehouse books
The 39 Clues book 6
Snap Circuits student guide
Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian DVD

Plus I already have some games put away for him (Pictureka, Leapster and ThinkFun), some add-ons for his Quadrilla and a set of mini Automoblox.

Where are you getting the Snap Circuits student guide? (or is that just on his wish list?)

AmyZ
11-16-2009, 10:52 PM
[/QUOTE]However, just for something to think about, I wish I had gotten the regular Rush Hour for him. He's worked through most of the cards and the full size edition has add on cars and cards you can buy. Apparently they aren't compatible with the Jr. set. So, just something to consider. But, LOVE it anyway.[/QUOTE]

:yeahthat: I'm totally agreeing with this. DD1 has been enjoying the Jr., but I really wished I got the regular one so she could enjoy the add-ons.

Momof3Labs
11-16-2009, 10:58 PM
Where are you getting the Snap Circuits student guide? (or is that just on his wish list?)

I found it through amazon, but it is an external seller (who charges $$$ shipping). Not sure if we'll end up buying it or not.

KrisM
11-16-2009, 11:09 PM
DS is getting:

Legos
Snap Circuit upgrade to 300
games, including Rush Hour Jr, Castle Logix, UNO Attack
add on for Quadrilla
race track, but not sure which
stocking gifts are: superflykidz cape and mask, paper tear pads of tic-tac-toe, Donald Duck in Mathamagic Land dvd

I'm sure there will be other stuff, but that's it for now.

kristac
11-16-2009, 11:42 PM

He's getting:

Which Darda set are you getting? I'm torn between Darda and Blutrack.

kristac
11-16-2009, 11:44 PM
pockets to hang from the rails of his bunkbed

The robe, playmat, and pockets are all handmade.. I hate just buying whatever toys strike their fancies for Xmas and try to go with more handmade/original things.

Tell me more about the bunkbed pockets please :)

Raidra
11-17-2009, 10:29 AM
Tell me more about the bunkbed pockets please :)

I'm going to copy something like this: http://www.maxtrixkids.com/maxpack.html

I'm not sure how I'll attach it to the rails, because I don't know how to sew buttonholes. Maybe big ribbons made out of the same fabric. I'm just going to sort of wing it. I don't know if the pockets will be stiff enough hanging like that, I may add some of that plastic mesh you use for cross stitch (possibly covered in batting, I don't know) in between the layers. I tend to fly by the seat of my pants when sewing, if I try too hard to follow someone else's directions, I end up messing up measurements and stuff.. it's easier for me to just figure it out on my own.

hellokitty
11-17-2009, 11:17 AM
OK, am I the only geek who is excited about the snap circuits? *I* want to play with them and don't want to wait until christmas to give it to my kid, lol.

brittone2
11-17-2009, 12:15 PM
Which Darda set are you getting? I'm torn between Darda and Blutrack.

Not sure...I found it at a local consignment sale in great shape. It has been hiding in my attic for a year now. DS always likes a Darda track that a local indy toystore has on display.

ett
11-17-2009, 12:56 PM
Not sure...I found it at a local consignment sale in great shape. It has been hiding in my attic for a year now. DS always likes a Darda track that a local indy toystore has on display.

Do you need to use this with the cars that come with it or does it work with matchbox cars? It looks cool but I don't really want to get something where it will only work with their cars.

zoestargrove
11-17-2009, 01:01 PM
many of these are to share with 5yo brother

bongos
hollow wooden blocks
Ravensburger labybrinth
Playmobil egyptian pyramid set
Egypt and pyramid books (I think it was a DK book)
Klutz book of knots
art supplies

o_mom
11-17-2009, 01:03 PM
I found it through amazon, but it is an external seller (who charges $$$ shipping). Not sure if we'll end up buying it or not.

After much searching, I found this store: http://www.cs-sales.net/index.html

They have the manuals, replacement parts and upgrade kits. The shipping is steep if you are just getting a manual ($9 shipping), but if you get any replacement parts, you can use the coupon code on the parts page for a $4 discount - I'm not sure how it will process as I haven't ordered yet and it has a disclaimer about the discount not being more than the parts. They are also an Amazon seller with decent feedback (mainly complaints about the shipping rates on small orders). We need a new fan anyway, so I'm ordering a couple of those as my replacement parts.

The other one I found with reasonable prices was this one: http://www.oselectronics.com/ but the message on the front page is not comforting.

I'm thinking about the upgrade to the 300 and getting the student manual and now I wish I would have just gotten the 300-R from the start, which is about $100 shipped and it comes with the manuals and a hard case. At this point, if I order the upgrade kit ($30), the manual ($10) and the case ($60) I end up paying more than the whole 300-R and that doesn't include the $24 I paid for the SC-100 to start with. I think we'll just find a nice plastic case at the container store to put the boxes in.

brittone2
11-17-2009, 02:27 PM
Do you need to use this with the cars that come with it or does it work with matchbox cars? It looks cool but I don't really want to get something where it will only work with their cars.

I think you need the Darda cars. The displays I've seen have cars that you pull back a few times and then release, so they power themselves around the track. The cars run about $12 IIRC at Learning Express and at one of our local indy toy stores. I'm okay with that as I paid under $10 for the track. I'll assemble it so it won't be obvious it was a 2nd hand find ;) (box isn't in perfect condition)

kristac
11-17-2009, 03:18 PM

This is why I'm so torn between Darda and Blutrack (blutrack.com). I think Darda is a bit more versatle configuration wise- but you need to use Darda cars. Also more speed = more fun ?? Blutrack you can use matchbox/hotwheels/pixar cars/etc and it has multiple lanes to race at once. It's gravity powered vs pullback power (though maybe you can use darda cars as well?)

ett
11-17-2009, 03:28 PM
This is why I'm so torn between Darda and Blutrack (blutrack.com). I think Darda is a bit more versatle configuration wise- but you need to use Darda cars. Also more speed = more fun ?? Blutrack you can use matchbox/hotwheels/pixar cars/etc and it has multiple lanes to race at once. It's gravity powered vs pullback power (though maybe you can use darda cars as well?)

I can totally see myself searching all over the house for the Darda cars that the kids have misplaced, which would be not fun!

jerseygirl07067
11-18-2009, 10:59 AM
Snap circuits...I am unfamiliar with these.....off to google!!!...I loved the responses, and will check out the threads in Around the House too. I guess there are more moms with 6 yr old boys, based on all the responses! :) DH will get jealous if he reads this thread, hehe.

I am dying to buy Sammy Legos, since I kind of want to play with them myself, lol. But she shows absolutely no interest. Oh well, maybe I'll have to request a set for myself from DH!

deborah_r
11-18-2009, 05:51 PM
You guys are giving me hours of research here. I have never heard of many of these things, and some I have heard of butdon't know what they are! All DS1 (6 years old) ever asks for are Bakugans, Pixios (which I've resisted so far, afraid of potential mess) and Bendaroos. And Wii games of course, but DH is as obsessed with Wii as he is, so those are already bought (they were in line last Sunday morning at GameStop to get Super Mario Bros. Wii...)

Snap Circuits?
Darda?
Blutrack?
Quadrilla?

I am lost.

Any recommendtions for good Walkie Talkies? I saw someone mention those above, most I saw on Amazon had medium to poor reviews.

mom2binsd
11-19-2009, 01:03 AM
My DD is almost 6 1/2 and loves to play with all her stuffed puppies, and various types of horses, sounds much like yours.

My DD loves her Leapster 2- PET PALS is her fav game, there are also quite a few more that she loves, the Dinosaur Dig one is also one of her fav's that she tried at the library.

Lots of books.

Bella Sara game if I can find it (she plays online with BellaSara.com)

Only Hearts Club ponies and two dolls to go with to add to her stable of horses etc.

Dance clothes (now that she takes hiphop she doesn't want to wear her leotards/skirts)

Art supplies, probably a case of tape as she goes through ours like crazy!

Santa is bringing her ZhuZhu pets and some accessories.

egoldber
11-19-2009, 08:15 AM
I will comment on the Leapster. My 6.5yo DS has had a Leapster for about 2 years and plays with it in spurts at home and while we are out and about. Although it supposedly has games for up to approx Grade 2, I think that he will outgrow it sooner than later.

I would agree with this. We got Sarah her DS at 6.5. While Sarah still had and enjoyed her Leapster, but as soon as she got the DS, she stopped using it. And there are soooooo many more games available for the DS. And yes,. there are lots of educational games for the DS.

calv
11-19-2009, 09:20 AM
I would agree with this. We got Sarah her DS at 6.5. While Sarah still had and enjoyed her Leapster, but as soon as she got the DS, she stopped using it. And there are soooooo many more games available for the DS. And yes,. there are lots of educational games for the DS.

Please DO TELL which ones are the educational games. I've yet to see/hear of any. Thanks so much. IF we get the DSi or Lite, I'd like to include a few educational games besides brain age, lol.

egoldber
11-19-2009, 09:41 AM
I think there are lots. There are, of course, the explicitly educational ones: BrainAge, Big Brain Academy, My Word Coach (and that whole family of games), Smart Girls Playhouse, BrainQuest, etc.

But many of the games are puzzle and logic puzzle based, which I personally think is more educational than many of the nominally "educational" games from Leapster. Nothing wrong with the Leapster, we had one and it was fine, but it isn't really any more educational (IMO) than any other handheld game system.

hellbennt
11-19-2009, 09:52 PM
for my 6yr old:
lots of what op said, but I also always give a pair of pajamas for the holidays...

blue orange games: fundomino & gobblet

tina-t
11-19-2009, 11:17 PM
Ds is getting:

Snap circuits
Double shutter game
Leapfrog globe

essnce629
11-20-2009, 03:52 PM
All Conner wants is Legos, Legos, and more Legos! I've been wanting to get him some Magnatiles for like 2 years now but he keeps shooting down the idea! Last Christmas he got lots of Legos, Snap Circuits, Wedgits, and the Magic School Bus science kit, but he pretty much only plays with the Legos. So maybe I should just stick with more Legos-- boring for me, but it is for him not me!

kristac
11-28-2009, 03:52 AM
Ds is getting:

Snap circuits
Double shutter game
Leapfrog globe

Where did you find the leapfrog globe this year?

KrisM
11-28-2009, 08:28 AM

Last Christmas, my kids all got throw blankets. They're the soft microfleece (I think?) ones. I was tired of the arguing about the blankets, so each kid got their own favorite color (DS2 had better like blue!). They absolutely love them. One of the best gifts of last year.