PDA

View Full Version : Wii games that offer some sort of education for 5 year old?

BillK
11-16-2009, 09:10 AM
So are there any Wii games out there that an almost 5 year old could handle and also offer some sort of educational aspect? I'd love some suggestions.

hellokitty
11-16-2009, 09:50 AM
There is a jumpstart game out. We haven't tried it, but traditionally jumpstart does educational games. Wii Music is, "educational" in terms of music, like learning how to follow the beat/rhythm of the music.

BillK
11-16-2009, 03:53 PM
Thanks! Anyone else have any suggestions?

dogmom
11-16-2009, 04:03 PM
Well, what are you trying to teach? I would argue the Lego games (Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Batman) are pretty complex games where the kids have to figure things out. (How to open trick doors, do things in the right order, etc.) If you do two player mode you really need to cooperate with the other player. I don't play those, and when I do play with my DS I'm sort of "now WHAT am I supposed to be doing?" Certainly my son is learning to read more. ("Mom, what does that say?" - " Well, if you can't read it you can't play it, so I would suggest you try to sound out some words.")

I don't think the Nitendo Wii is strong on education games, that is certainly not what I bought the game console for. We bought it for good game play. If you really want to learn about the games out there go to Game Stop during M-F days and ask the guy behind the counter. I find they pretty know everything there is to know about all the games. You can also get used games at Game Stop, which makes it much easier to "try it out'.

hellokitty
11-16-2009, 07:38 PM
Bill, I agree with the other poster. Wii is not an educational video game system. If you want education video games, you'd either want to stick with the PC or get a leapster. I think that the leapster is a great educational tool. My two older boys have gotten a lot out of it.

awoodm
11-16-2009, 08:44 PM
I've been looking too, for my 4 year old DS. I found a Diego Dino Rescue game on Amazon for $16 that got pretty good reviews. Doesn't look educational, but does look fun! I am thinking I will pick that one up for DS for Christmas.

dhano923
11-17-2009, 12:20 AM
So are there any Wii games out there that an almost 5 year old could handle and also offer some sort of educational aspect? I'd love some suggestions.

My kids have one called Cosmic Family that is meant for preschool/kindergarteners. It's educational -- the kids have to do math problems and puzzles and look for hidden objects and things like that.

Tondi G
11-17-2009, 12:41 AM
don't know if you would consider them educational but this is what Amazon considers educational on the Wii

http://www.amazon.com/Wii-Educational-Games/lm/R33BV3TOZ947PE

bnme
11-17-2009, 07:19 AM
My 5 and 7 year old love hunting for things in the I Spy game. Not really educational but a step up from the typical games they play on Wii.