PDA

View Full Version : If you kid with asthma had H1N1 how long did they cough?

egoldber
11-16-2009, 10:19 AM
On 10/30, Sarah came home from school with a low fever (99ish). By that night she had a fever of 102 and was miserable. The next day it was 101ish all day and she was tired, but not miserable. The next day the fever was gone. That happened to be a 4 day weekend from school, so I never kept her home from school and she went back to school on that Wednesday. She seems/ed fine, except for a cough.

Because she has asthma, she often has a lingering cough for a long time afterwards. It was quite bad at first (she told me they sent her to the nurse at school to have her temp checked because she was coughing so much) but it gradually tapered off to only a few times a day. But the last couple days her cough has become significantly worse again. The last two night she coughed all night long.

I am taking her to the ped this afternoon, but I'm wondering what your experience has been with the length and duration of a cough.

FWIW, I don't know that she actually had the flu. I never took her to the ped, because she never seemed that sick. But it was rampant in her school and my kids don't ever get high fevers, even with things like roseola. In the last 2 weeks she's been participating in swimming lessons, running twice a week with her running club and attending PE with no issues.

lilycat88
11-16-2009, 10:49 AM
Probably 2 weeks but it improved a little every day. I don't have asthma and I had the cough for probably 3 weeks and like DD, it got a little better every day. I can't tell you exactly when I stopped or when DD stopped.