PDA

View Full Version : What is the difference btwn Leapster and Pixter?

happy2bamom
11-16-2009, 10:44 AM
I bought a Pixter a while back when they were super cheap. The kids enjoy playing with them, but I'm wondering if we are missing out by not having a Leapster. Is it worth it to get them a Leapster too?

mom2binsd
11-16-2009, 11:03 AM
I have never heard of a Pixter so I can't directly comment.

The Leapsters are widely available, have a very good track record and the cartridges can be used interchangebly between many of the different types of Leapster, Leapster2 and LMax....you can also find the cartridges at garage sales etc...I like the educational component of the Leapsters and they also use popular characters in their games, again not sure what Pixter does.

WE LOVE OUR LEAPSTER2.

happy2bamom
11-16-2009, 04:40 PM
I"m asking b/c I saw that they are 1/2 off TRU Black Friday. but now I'm wondering if there is a big difference btwn Leapster, Leapster2, and the other one mentioned? This is all new to me. The problem with Pixter is that cartridges are not readily available. Maybe it is a discontinued item?

Thanks for the info about the Leapster.

KrisM
11-16-2009, 04:42 PM
We have Pixters and Leapsters. We don't have cartridges for the Pixters though. In a lot of ways, I think they're similar. But, there are more games, etc for the Leapster. The Leapsters get way more play than the Pixters, but maybe if we had cartridges for the Pixter, that would change. Recommend any?

hellokitty
11-16-2009, 07:34 PM
The pixter is no longer being made and cartridges are no longer being made. We have both. What I am irritated about is that my father paid full price for it as a Christmas gift for DS1 a few yrs ago and then right after Christmas they discontinued it!?!? I was slow and did not realize that I should have stocked up on cartridges at that time, by the time I realized that the system was discontinued, I was only able to get maybe 2 games. If you want games, you'd probably have to find them at tag sales or ebay. Technically, the pixter is MUCH nicer than the leapster (better screen, graphics, design in general), but I think that leapfrog does a better job of marketing and that is why the leapster is such a stronghold in the preschool handheld market.