PDA

View Full Version : Food quality issue - WWYD?

Moneypenny
11-16-2009, 10:53 AM
If you are squeamish, you will not want to read this.
So last night I'm making dinner and dump the last of a bag of store-brand frozen peas (we usually eat about half a bag at a time) into the dish to microwave. There is a little frozen frog in there, mostly intact except for one of his little toes that came off. And yes, we already ate the other half of the bag of peas! (excuse me while I gag)

Needless to say, we did not eat the peas. DH is going to call the company today. What would you like the company to do if this were you? DH and I are totally unsure about it. I really do not want a replacement bag of froggy peas, but it's not like we are going to sue them or anything. What would you expect?

egoldber
11-16-2009, 11:02 AM
I think they are likely to give you a coupon (or 10) for new peas OR your money back. If you don't want the coupons, tell them that.

KBecks
11-16-2009, 11:11 AM
LOL! Thanks for the laugh!

So sorry!

I would not take the time to call the company and I would probably stop eating vegetables ever again.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
11-16-2009, 11:59 AM
Ummmm, WOW! I am a Veggie, so I would be livid on the off chance we had eaten an animal (to me a frog is an animal)! I would call, complain and expect coupons or money back.

Momof3Labs
11-16-2009, 12:10 PM
That happened to me many years ago when I lived at home. I was raising a piece of broccoli to my mouth and announced that there was a worm on my broccoli. My parents gave me the whole "no, there's not, just EAT IT" spiel, until I showed them the big, fat green worm (caterpillar?) wrapped around the broccoli. It was from a bag of frozen veggies.

Mom threw away dinner and called the company, who (as I recall) sent several coupons for free bags of frozen veggies.

Carrots
11-16-2009, 12:24 PM
I am also laughing. :ROTFLMAO:

I would be horrified to find a frog in my peas. I would call the company, but I wouldn't accept another bag of peas.

JTsMom
11-16-2009, 12:33 PM
:barf: Yuck! I agree with pp's. They'll send you a bunch of coupons.

twowhat?
11-16-2009, 12:37 PM
All I'd expect is a bunch of coupons or some freebies. It's not uncommon to find things like this in frozen veggies - yes sometimes insect and other creepies make their way through all the washing and processing and into the bag! Hey, at least you know it was FRESH!

Now if it were contaminated with E. coli, that's a totally different issue:)

ha98ed14
11-16-2009, 12:39 PM
JMO, but I think you need to do more than call and get coupons. That has to be a major violation of the local health codes or US Ag Policy or FDA. Someone in the supervisory role of how the peas were harvested, processed and frozen needs to know there us a big hole in the process!

Moneypenny
11-16-2009, 12:39 PM
Well, so far DH got an apology from the gal who answered the phone and our "issue" has been passed up the chain. I fully expect to get the offer of a free bag of peas.

So, my next question is, would you eat this brand of peas again? I'm assuming (hoping?) this is a freak thing since we've eaten this brand for years and I've never found anything like this before. Although, sometimes in the green beans I've found things that I assumed to be parts of the stem, and now I'm rethinking that. (excuse me while I gag again)

Interestingly, DH and I just talked and we both agreed that it would be even worse if it were a mouse. Why is that?

egoldber
11-16-2009, 12:43 PM
I would, but I have a low freak out factor. ;)

Food is dirty. Really. You should have seen some of the things we got from our CSA this summer. In general, our food has been incredibly highly processed to remove the yukkies, but sometimes things get through.

KBecks
11-16-2009, 12:47 PM
I would eat the same brand from a different bag!

Agreed, food is dirty, it's all part of nature. The chances of you getting another frog are very very very small.

My boys probably would have loved to find a frog in their veggies!

Globetrotter
11-16-2009, 01:01 PM
How big was the frog??? OH my, I have seen bugs/worms but a frog?

:eek:

Moneypenny
11-16-2009, 01:04 PM
How big was the frog??? OH my, I have seen bugs/worms but a frog?

:eek:

I'd say he was about an inch wide and two inches long. He looked pretty content in his frozenness, actually (except for the toe that broke off. Did I mention that? His toe. It broke off. Into my peas. A little frozen frog toe just...there. In my peas.)

Incidentally, we did eat peas last night. I happened to have another bag (different brand). Of course, I felt compelled to dump out the whole bag and look at it VERY carefully before nuking it.

I know food is dirty and there are guidelines about how many parts per million of "non-food items" are allowed in food, but I think an entire frog must be above the limit for a 16 oz bag of peas, right?

Next question: is it worse to see the whole frog and know it's in there so you can avoid it, or ingest the little unseen things and live in blissful ignorance?

Globetrotter
11-16-2009, 01:21 PM
Next question: is it worse to see the whole frog and know it's in there so you can avoid it, or ingest the little unseen things and live in blissful ignorance?

Probably the latter, but :barf:

ilfaith
11-16-2009, 01:45 PM
It's not easy being green. Poor froggie.

Well I suppose in the converse, one could end up with a few random peas in their order of frog legs.

maestramommy
11-16-2009, 02:28 PM
Poor frog! At least you saw him in his content frozeness rather than after the peas were cooked!

A frog is much better than what I was fearing when I read your post.

StantonHyde
11-16-2009, 03:01 PM
ok, I had to laugh. When I was a kid, we found a dead/partially frozen frog outside. We brought him in and put him in a bag of ice in the freezer. A couple weeks later, my mom was having a party. She had already put ice in the silver ice bucket. It was down to half full, so she went to get another bag of ice from the freezer. My dad reminded her not to get the one with the frog. She pulled out the ice bag and realized that that one did NOT have the frog.....which meant the one in the ice bucket...........

At least nobody knew!

KBecks
11-16-2009, 03:04 PM
It's not easy being green. Poor froggie.

Well I suppose in the converse, one could end up with a few random peas in their order of frog legs.

:hysterical: OK, the school stress doesn't seem so bad...

Indianamom2
11-16-2009, 03:04 PM
[QUOTE=Moneypenny;2536026]I'd say he was about an inch wide and two inches long. He looked pretty content in his frozenness, actually (except for the toe that broke off. Did I mention that? His toe. It broke off. Into my peas. A little frozen frog toe just...there. In my peas.)

:ROTFLMAO:

Okay, I'm sorry and I would be totally grossed out too, but that is absolutely hilarious.

Seriously though, frogs can be eaten (frog legs at least) so that makes it slightly less gross than say, a mouse. Not that I would eat either one.

Hey, I've heard that frog legs taste like chicken....maybe it was part of the "All natural flavoring". J/K!

Christina

Seitvonzu
11-16-2009, 03:08 PM
is anyone else curious what brand this was? :)

Moneypenny
11-16-2009, 03:14 PM
is anyone else curious what brand this was? :)

It's a store brand - Roundy's.

Okay, worms in broccoli and frogs in ice cubes? Is it lunchtime yet???

alexsmommy
11-16-2009, 03:18 PM
Years ago found a spider in my ice cream sandwich. Can't eat that kind to this day.