PDA

View Full Version : How many days for a valid H1N1 booster?

baileygirl
11-16-2009, 04:01 PM
Hello, my kids are both under 3 (not certain if that matters) and we have the option of getting the booster 24 days after the first shot. I have read on here the booster is valid 21/22 days after the first shot? Does anyone have a link for any publications on that? I want something to give to the nurse if I have any problems. Any reason I should wait until 28+ days?

(I am not looking to debate if they should get the shot at all, just the number of days between the two shots).

Thanks!!!!

citymama
11-16-2009, 04:19 PM
I'd like to know too. DD got her shot Oct 29, so if it's supposed to be in 21 days, that's coming up soon! I thought it was 21-30 days,but I'd be interested to hear from others.

mecawa
11-16-2009, 04:22 PM
We we're told 4 weeks by my ped.

HIU8
11-16-2009, 04:25 PM
We were told 28 days and given the date we could start scheduling.

longamkl
11-16-2009, 04:28 PM
According to the CDC:

The CDC recommends "about a month", but doses at least 21 days apart are "considered valid".

http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/vaccinati...nicians_qa.htm

Beth (Egoldber) gave me this info when I asked a couple of weeks ago. I just spent two hours on the phone this am trying to get through to make an appointment at one the "mass" clinics they have here. We will try and get our booster 26 days after our first one. 28 days doesn't work for us - we leave for an 11 day vacation at 28 days.

hillview
11-16-2009, 04:29 PM
Interesting my pedi (we JUST got the shot on Saturday) said after 30 days you get the booster shot. My boys are 2 and 4. I am intererested in responses.
/hillary

Corie
11-16-2009, 04:36 PM
We were told 28 days and given the date we could start scheduling.

We were also told 28 days.

But we were also told that we wouldn't be given the booster if there
are still kids waiting for their 1st dose.

baileygirl
11-16-2009, 04:44 PM
According to the CDC:

The CDC recommends "about a month", but doses at least 21 days apart are "considered valid".

http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/vaccinati...nicians_qa.htm

Beth (Egoldber) gave me this info when I asked a couple of weeks ago. I just spent two hours on the phone this am trying to get through to make an appointment at one the "mass" clinics they have here. We will try and get our booster 26 days after our first one. 28 days doesn't work for us - we leave for an 11 day vacation at 28 days.

Thanks for the link, it didn't actually work for me...but I was able to quickly find this chart on the CDC web site from it...

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5839a3.htm

It does say "about a month" and at least 21 days on it. So, I am going to keep our appointment for tomorrow! Thanks for all of the answers!

BTW, the nurse who gave them the original shots said 28 days and the brochure we were given said "about a month".

ett
11-16-2009, 04:45 PM
The general recommendation is 28 days but anything after 21 days is considered valid. DS2 got his first at the allergist's office but will need his booster at the ped. office. Given the waiting list and the fact that the booster has to be the same manufacturer as our first dose, I doubt we'd be getting it.

baileygirl
11-16-2009, 04:48 PM

Our ped is the same...they did a clinic for all the under 3s on their list last week, and said we could do the second dose if there was any left over.

wendibird22
11-16-2009, 04:48 PM

:yeahthat:

Our ped's office won't give the booster yet. They claim they were told by our State that they can't give the 2nd shot until they've given all interested patients the 1st shot. Yet, my local health depart was willing to give DD the booster which we are getting done tomorrow. They said that because she falls in one of the highest priority groups (she's 2 and will be the household contact of a newborn as of next month) she can receive the booster. Interesting how my State clearly doesn't have it's act together!