PDA

View Full Version : Lady GaGa and pre-teens

strollerqueen
11-16-2009, 04:13 PM
OK, so around here at least, she is all the rage among pre-teen girls. We had a lot of mini Lady Gagas trick or treating this year. Last night, we had company for dinner, and 11 year old DD put on the "Paparazzi" video. DH nearly had a heart attack, and I am still not hearing the end of it. Yes, I agree that parts of that video are too racy. But I told him that realistically, you can't just completely ban stuff like this at this age (like we used to be able to when she was younger.) She would see it somewhere else. (Before this, it was Pink and "So What"? ) At least we have been able to look at it, and discuss why parts of it are inappropriate, and that basically, this is a tongue in cheek stage act, and shock sells. I think DD gets it. But anyway, what are people's thoughts on this?

alexsmommy
11-16-2009, 04:46 PM
I tend to agree - if something is all the rage with their friends, then they will see/read it with our without permission. So my approach was to sit down and watch it with my DSD and talk about what was appropraite, what was fantasy, what probably would or wouldn't happen in real life etc. Even if I got the "Of course I know that wouldn't really happen" eyeroll, I think it's important to discuss it and reinforce an adult perspective and to make sure my children are clear on my moral stance on things.
This is coming up a lot in my practice with the "Twilight" series. Pre-teens are very into it and I find myself asking the mom's to read it too - especially book four and discuss the sexual themes with their daughters. The moms who say, "Well, we've forbidden it until she's at least 13" are shocked to find out their DD's are sneaking it at school, or at a friends house etc. I think videos/television/media is no different. So although we had MTV and other channels locked for DD until a certain age, I knew not all of her friends parents did the same so I would unlock it for certain shows that I knew she was mananging to see, and we'd watch it together. We still have certain ratings locked at age 16 - the nice thing is she "thinks" it's because of DS1, but it forces her to ask us to ask permission to watch certain shows/movies so we know what she's doing.

wellyes
11-16-2009, 05:31 PM
Yikes.

Have you seen the Bad Romance video - loads of bondage and trafficking imagery. She's attacked, drugged, sold to the highest bidder, who she then immolates. It's actually a great video - IMO Lady Gaga is a very talented performance artist. But not for kids, jeez. When I was that age I thought Madonna's bras-as-outwear was risque.

strollerqueen
11-16-2009, 07:28 PM
Yikes.

Have you seen the Bad Romance video - loads of bondage and trafficking imagery. She's attacked, drugged, sold to the highest bidder, who she then immolates. It's actually a great video - IMO Lady Gaga is a very talented performance artist. But not for kids, jeez. When I was that age I thought Madonna's bras-as-outwear was risque.

Yeah, that's the problem. She is their Madonna. Who now looks tame in comparison.

maestramommy
11-18-2009, 05:17 PM
My bro was raving about the Bad Romance video, so I had him send it to my FB. Ha ha, not appropriate for preteens certainly. But I thought the final scene was pretty funny! I guess what sells it for most (it would for me anyway) young people is that it's very catchy and danceable!

Okay, just saw the Paparazzi video, and um, wow. It's certainly more "MORE" than the Bad Romance. But I couldn't help feeling that was a terribly sad video.

michellerw
11-18-2009, 05:29 PM
I just saw this on a ballet board and thought I'd share it because, well, it's so bizarre. http://www.blackbookmag.com/article/moca-roll-call-lady-gaga-angelina-jolie-brad-pitt-guy-ritchie-more/12902

maestramommy
11-18-2009, 10:54 PM
I just saw this on a ballet board and thought I'd share it because, well, it's so bizarre. http://www.blackbookmag.com/article/moca-roll-call-lady-gaga-angelina-jolie-brad-pitt-guy-ritchie-more/12902

Well, that was interesting. I don't know if I would agree that Lady Gaga is the Nijinsky of our epoch, but whatever:p Maybe a professional dancer would.