PDA

View Full Version : What are you buying DH for Christmas/holidays?

Corie
11-16-2009, 05:26 PM
What are you buying your husband for Christmas/holidays?

I only have 2 ideas and I don't think either one is spectacular.

My ideas:

*Empire State Building erector set (We were engaged on the Empire St. Building.)

*Panini sandwich maker

BabyMine
11-16-2009, 05:28 PM
I have no idea. This is the first time I am clueless.

maestramommy
11-16-2009, 05:31 PM
Dh asked for another set of screwdrivers. He's tired of having to go down to the basement every time he suddenly has to do a repair in the garage. So one assortment of Craftsmen screwdrivers is what he's getting:p

TonFirst
11-16-2009, 05:34 PM
Nothing. Dude just went on a very nice hunting trip to the Dakotas and is going on another one later in December. Merry Christmas!

Corie
11-16-2009, 05:38 PM
Nothing. Dude just went on a very nice hunting trip to the Dakotas and is going on another one later in December. Merry Christmas!

I agree!!

My husband is an avid hunter/fisherman too. He would love these hunting trips!

Too bad he's getting a Panini sandwich maker instead. :)

Ceepa
11-16-2009, 05:43 PM
DH wanted some spendy tools that were on sale so he justified buying them recently by saying, "These are my Christmas gifts." Yeah, what happens when Christmas morning rolls around and I say, "Remember those tools you've been using for two months? Merry Christmas." He would not like that so now I have to think of something else for him. He's sneaky that way. :ROTFLMAO:

Maybe a new game for his DS?

inmypjs
11-16-2009, 05:48 PM
I am excited because this year I actually have some things to wrap up for him, and most will be surprises. Often DH and I do not exchange gifts, especially if we've made a major purchase for the house or something like that. This year is the first year we'll be spending Christams Eve and Christmas Day at our house with just our family, so we decided we'd like to have some things for the other to unwrap.

So here is what I am planning:

2 Wii games (he knows about these)
Yard ornament for his favorite college team (he's been wanting this for years and I finally found someone who makes them)
Men's grooming trimmer from Bed Bath & Beyond
Shutterfly collage poster of a trip he took
Pajama pants - he really needs some new ones

infocrazy
11-16-2009, 05:48 PM

LOL. DH just got home from a hunting trip in the UP. I can't really complain since I took the boys to FL while he was gone though...

For the hunter's wives though, there is one of those deal-a-day sites called camofire.com I think. I got a vest for DH off there last year for more than half price...it was the wrong camo though... :shake:

crl
11-16-2009, 05:49 PM

Yep, DH just ordered himself a kayak from South Aftrica. Merry Christmas! (BTW, we agreed that's his present. Mine is the airline tickets to spend Christmas with my family.)

Catherine

m448
11-16-2009, 05:52 PM
he's drooling over some awesome counter top griddle he saw in chef's catalog but I'm likely to forgo it since the plates are not dishwasher safe and I tend to do most of the griddling anyway and prefer my cast iron.

I will be working on some handmade items for him (he wants a mess of lounge pants in fleece and I hope to finish them by then). I'd love to surprise him with a bunch of jalie boxer briefs in some yummy cotton interlock and finish knitting a pair of socks I started for his birthday - three years ago.

He's a total electronics geek but I don't go there. Too many specs and prefixes I'm not familiar with.

Tondi G
11-16-2009, 05:55 PM
things I've put on a list so far... (since he never has suggestions for me)

ipod nano with video.
Maybe a battery charger and rechargeable batteries.
Possibly a game for the Xbox or Wii.
Probably some jeans and underwear.

billysmommy
11-16-2009, 06:10 PM
*Empire State Building erector set (We were engaged on the Empire St. Building.)

That's so romantic :heartbeat:

We're only doing stocking stuffers for each other this year and then the boys each pick something out for us. We just turned our toy room into a full-on library and we're redoing our kitchen floors and counters so we decided that would be our Christmas presents to each other.

Jen841
11-16-2009, 06:13 PM
Christmas/Anniversary... Cookshack Smoker! We wanted one, and he mentioned wanting a smoked turkey for Thanksgiving so it is getting ready now.

Trying to figure out how I mix in the 2 suits, sportcoat and suitcase he got for his last minute week long work trip overseas... without me on our anniversary!

MommyAllison
11-16-2009, 06:16 PM
DH just bought himself a new guitar and said it was his Christmas gift...ok with me! I know he'll be a little disappointed if there isn't *anything* under the tree though. He wants the Band of Brothers dvd set so maybe I'll do that.

happy2bamom
11-16-2009, 06:20 PM
Roomba

He got me a crockpot for a Mother's Day/Anniversary gift this year. Pay back is a b**ch!! :)

larig
11-16-2009, 06:29 PM
I just saw this [ETA: band of brothers] at our costco for $36. Awesome price compared to years past.

larig
11-16-2009, 06:31 PM
the dvd box set of the ken burns national park series. some jeans, and I have to think of some other stuff. hopefully someone else's suggestion will help me out.

MommyAllison
11-16-2009, 06:31 PM
I just saw this [ETA: band of brothers] at our costco for $36. Awesome price compared to years past.

OOH thank you so much! I will have to go by there :)

kedss
11-16-2009, 06:38 PM
I just got him a very funny children's book, Knuffle Bunny, by Mo Willems. I'm going to start giving him a children's book on special occasions. and then little 'Santa' presents. :)

wellyes
11-16-2009, 06:56 PM
For panini maker, I got this one (http://cgi.ebay.com/Wolfgang-Puck-Multi-Position-Tri-Grill-Panini-BCGL0050_W0QQitemZ360208311338QQcmdZViewItemQQptZS mall_Kitchen_Appliances_US?hash=item53de16a42a) --it's about $100 below retail. The first one I got had a scratch in the nonstick surface on one of the plates, which made it IMO unusable..... I wrote to the seller (same one I linked to) and they immediately sent me an entire second unit at no charge. So now I have a complete, functional one plus backup unit missing just one plate for $40! Makes good paninis too :)

For DH I am hoping to surprise him by having our photos of our cross-the-US drive 10 years ago transferred from film to digital. The pictures are just sitting in a box in the basement now. We were so young! I can't believe how beautiful we were LOL..... I don't mean that as egotistical at all, just that looking at your early 20s self after years & years of working and marriage and kiddos is really striking. We had no idea how lovely we were, if you know what I mean.

firsttimemama
11-16-2009, 08:05 PM
probably not much of anything - it's a mutual agreement - we just got new flooring for the house = $$$

Melaine
11-16-2009, 08:20 PM
I think mostly Blu-rays from his wishlist on Amazon. I'll try to find something to surprise him, but he is hard to buy for.

Cam&Clay
11-16-2009, 08:40 PM
DH and I are giving each other iPhones for Christmas. My only problem is that I really don't want to wait that long!

Corie
11-16-2009, 09:45 PM
For the hunter's wives though, there is one of those deal-a-day sites called camofire.com I think. I got a vest for DH off there last year for more than half price...it was the wrong camo though... :shake:

I would never in a million years pick out any hunting or fishing stuff for
my DH. I would have no clue what he wanted/liked/needed.

He did have some hunting knives circled in the Bass Pro Shops flyer last
year. He said that the knives were awesome and they were completely
marked down. So, I went out and bought several of each style.

I also did a Black Friday sale to get some flashlight that he wanted. My DD
and I were the only girls/women in Bass Pro Shops at 6am.

SnuggleBuggles
11-16-2009, 09:49 PM
Screwdriver set
clean and organize his workbench (though I promised to do that last Sept. and it still hasn't happened!)
cognac
a video game
???

Beth

Momof3Labs
11-16-2009, 10:24 PM
DH wanted some spendy tools that were on sale so he justified buying them recently by saying, "These are my Christmas gifts." Yeah, what happens when Christmas morning rolls around and I say, "Remember those tools you've been using for two months? Merry Christmas." He would not like that so now I have to think of something else for him. He's sneaky that way. :ROTFLMAO:

Maybe a new game for his DS?

If I were you, I'd be rounding up those tools on Christmas Eve and wrapping them up to put under the tree for him!!

Momof3Labs
11-16-2009, 10:29 PM
Probably some books from his Amazon wishlist (they are all around $50 each) and he asked for some new work socks (I guess they are $15/pr).

infomama
11-16-2009, 10:39 PM
Jeans
A reclining chair for camping
A tool of some sort

WitMom
11-16-2009, 11:36 PM
He wants to buy some major league baseball package from DirecTV, so Santa will be bringing him some money to do that. He'll be able to watch some obscene number of baseball games next season. Yippee!

Other than that, definitely some jeans, maybe a hoodie or a sweatshirt, and then a gift card for the movie theater. Oh, and a goofy t-shirt that I found from the Signals catalog.

KrisM
11-17-2009, 12:27 AM
I haven't started shopping for him yet, but this is my list so far.

A couple books and some CDs.
Blokus
Triangles
Cow Bell

octmom
11-17-2009, 12:51 AM
I haven't started shopping for him yet, but this is my list so far.

A couple books and some CDs.
Blokus
Triangles
Cow Bell

We need more cow bell! :ROTFLMAO:

kozachka
11-17-2009, 06:30 AM
Tabloid subscription or two, depending on what I can find on sale. DH has been also wanting to upgrade our almost 4 years old camcorder. He does not consider it a gift for him since it's for family use and I don't consider it a necessity so we can't agree if that a gift or not. Similarly, I am order a MacBook Pro for him since his laptop is falling apart (screen is coming off) plus I took it over. We could get a considerably cheaper laptop so the difference is DH's 'gift'.

AshleyAnn
11-17-2009, 08:16 AM
He wants new pool 'sticks' (ie: cues. He plays in a league and still called them sticks) and a whammy pedal for his guitar. Not sure if I can afford either. He also needs a fan thingy or some cooling mechanism for his gaming computer.

I started making him an afghan but put it away a couple of months ago when we had some issues. He's been asking about it so I'm hoping to finish it in time (its 75% done or so) but with a baby due anyday now he may get 85% of an afghan for Christmas and the other 15% for his birthday in Jan.

MoJo
11-17-2009, 08:22 AM
DH wanted some spendy tools that were on sale so he justified buying them recently by saying, "These are my Christmas gifts." Yeah, what happens when Christmas morning rolls around and I say, "Remember those tools you've been using for two months? Merry Christmas."

My DH does this almost every year! He says he really doesn't want anything to open on Christmas, and I always get him something anyway . . . . although last year, I was pretty tempted to wrap up a picture of the three or four things he had used that line on.

So far, he hasn't done this this year, and the only things on my list for him are some nice after shave (he's newly into vintage double-edge safety razor shaving) and an out-of-print book he asked for that I think he already figured out I ordered.

Melaine
11-17-2009, 08:43 AM
My DH does this almost every year! He says he really doesn't want anything to open on Christmas, and I always get him something anyway . . . . although last year, I was pretty tempted to wrap up a picture of the three or four things he had used that line on.

:hysterical: My DH could do that to ME and it would be quite the photo album. Hopefully, he won't think of that.

♥ms.pacman♥
11-17-2009, 08:55 AM
getting gifts for my DH is hard because he never asks for anything, and every time i ask him what he wants he says he doesn't need anything. so i just try to figure out what he wants by seeing what he is looks at in stores etc. since my DH travels a lot and plus likes to listen to music, i was thinking of getting him a set of the Bose noise-canceling headphones, so he can use on the plane/at the airport.

KrisM
11-17-2009, 08:58 AM
We need more cow bell! :ROTFLMAO:

You full on the triangles though, huh?

TonFirst
11-17-2009, 11:33 AM
getting gifts for my DH is hard because he never asks for anything, and every time i ask him what he wants he says he doesn't need anything. so i just try to figure out what he wants by seeing what he is looks at in stores etc. since my DH travels a lot and plus likes to listen to music, i was thinking of getting him a set of the Bose noise-canceling headphones, so he can use on the plane/at the airport.

Oh, those are the BEST, especially if you travel a lot.

daniele_ut
11-17-2009, 11:52 AM
We normally put aside a certain amount of money toward a family vacation in lieu of buying each other gifts. We don't need anything tangible, but I NEED vacations, so this works out well for us.

This year, however, dh somehow suckered me into letting him buy a hot tub. THAT is his Christmas gift this year!

AnnieW625
11-17-2009, 02:04 PM
I think I am going to get him the complete Futurama Series DVD set. I saw it at Costco for $99.
http://www.amazon.com/Futurama-Complete-Collection-Matt-Groening/dp/B0029XFNBC/ref=sr_tr_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1258480925&sr=1-1

I might also look for some Under Armour polos for DH for golf/work, and some Under Armour long johns as DH needs all new hunting clothes.

hellokitty
11-17-2009, 02:29 PM
Nothing. My DH buys plenty for himself. His favorite thing to say is, "Everyday is Christmas for me," so obviously he has no problems spending $ on himself. Yesterday, he had to pay $400 out of a $700 dinner bill for 9 ppl, b/c he would not stand up for himself against his @#$%$ mother. So, I guess he isn't getting the playstaion that he wanted, b/c he used the $ to pay for steak dinners. :irked: I should probably start a post in the b*tching folder.

jayali
11-17-2009, 02:38 PM
A Kindle and subscriptions to his newspapers for it.

Socks and underwear for his stocking.

jent
11-17-2009, 03:19 PM
DH is another who says he wants nothing, but is happy to get something. Although, to his credit, he truly wouldn't mind if he got nothing.

I am thinking of getting him a gym membership, or of getting us dance classes (swing or ballroom) and lining my mom up to babysit.

brittone2
11-17-2009, 03:30 PM
Mostly work clothes since he'll be transitioning from his PhD program back into the work force. He needs some new/updated business casual clothes. So probably a pair of trousers from Brooks Brothers, maybe some more no-iron BB shirts, a polo shirt or two, and maybe like a thin merino sweater. He normally hates sweaters (gets too hot too easily) but he's gotten a lot of use out of the 2 thin merino wool sweaters I bought him in the past 2 years.

I will buy him a few fun things too. I often buy a homebrew kit for him to brew beer, or put together a fun 6 pack of microbrews from a specialty beer shop. Beyond that, I have no idea on a few smaller fun items.

sarahsthreads
11-17-2009, 06:01 PM
I'm hoping to talk him into us buying Wii Fit as a present to each other.

In addition to that, I'm going to look for a new game (likely a variant of Crayon Rails that we don't already have), a pair of PJ pants that aren't quite so old-mannish as the single pair that he currently owns, and maybe a page-a-day calendar - I usually give him one every year, and they eventually disappear off to work, so I'm assuming he enjoys them. :)

We're not big on exchanging gifts for each other (although I do have a couple of specific requests for myself this year) but I do like to stick with the "want/need/wear/read" concept for everyone in the family.

Sarah :)

firsttimemama
12-12-2009, 08:35 PM
I just read this entire thread for at least the 2nd time cause I feel DH's gifts are so boring. I have a shirt, a wallet, undershirts, socks, an ipod accessory. That's it! zzzz. I don't know what to add though... maybe a photobook, but I wonder what the deadlines are (it takes me forever to make these.. argh)

bubbaray
12-12-2009, 08:41 PM
So far:

North Face Nuptse vest
North Face ski gloves
ski socks
LE no iron dress shirt

probably:
black dress socks from Costco
jeans

Maybe:
sweater

I have no clue for stocking stuffers.

m448
12-12-2009, 09:23 PM
So DH actually updated his wishlist and will now be getting a Creative Zen XFI as well as some accessories I added in and an SD card. I also subscribed him to Sci Fi magazine since I like giving at least one gift not on the list that I know he'll love.

toby
12-12-2009, 09:32 PM
DS is a Leatherman tool freak, so I got him the new Skeletool. And, not too original, but a flashlight made by Leatherman (S2). Amazon had good prices on both.

fortato
12-12-2009, 09:44 PM
Mike finally made a list of things I could say, and that didn't cost a fortune!

So, he's getting a Tauntaun Sleeping bag- (Star Wars thing)
Clothes
A GPS
And toys.... legos and stupid office warfare stuff.

amldaley
12-12-2009, 10:28 PM
Um, yeah. I am working 60 hours a week this month. By the time I get a day off, it will have been 12 days straight. And with our budget, we figured we'd spend it on dd and not ourselves. We bought a Nintendo Wii to share as our big gift. I bought it a month ago. It is still in it's box.

Other than that, he is getting boxers, socks, ginger beer, a $25 book he asked for and a thermos I got sucked in to QVC on.

I am in some serious need of Christmas cheer. We don't even have a tree up yet.

firsttimemama
12-12-2009, 10:39 PM
We don't even have a tree up yet.

We don't either. I'm hoping to accomplish it tomorrow.

jent
12-12-2009, 10:42 PM
So, he's getting a Tauntaun Sleeping bag- (Star Wars thing)

:ROTFLMAO:
My DH would love you!

jgenie
12-12-2009, 10:42 PM
I don't know - I'm completely drawing a blank this year. :banghead:

So far I have: a photobook of our Christmas photo session, luggage tags w/ DS' pic, page a day calendar, and that's it. Nothing exciting at all. I just bought him the new Bose headphones for his bday. I'll be watching for ideas.

mecawa
12-12-2009, 10:45 PM
An IPod, with itunes gift card, and accessories, for the first time I knew exactly what to get him.

SnuggleBuggles
12-12-2009, 11:25 PM
Revising whatever I said earlier. I wound up buying him the new Mario game for Wii, a screwdriver set and some candy for his stocking. I would have bought him more but we took the plunge today and bought a TV. Budget is now officially blown. Very unlike me.

Beth

AJP
12-13-2009, 09:37 AM
He's getting cologne (b/c he needs more anyways), a northface, few shirts, sweaters & t's, Armani Exchange underwear (more $ than mine!!!), and a towel warmer for the master bath. He always complains how cold it is in there when he gets to take a really early or late shower. Now he'll (and I'll) have toasty towels!
He has been really hard to shop for lately since all he does is work so much and he doesn't have time for any of the things he used to enjoy.

lizzywednesday
12-13-2009, 09:45 AM
I had to ask him 3 times for his list ... and then share items with MIL & SIL.

So, from ME, he's getting:

* New sneakers from NB (bought them yesterday)
* New GPS unit (Amazon; should ship this week)

Still on my "to buy" list:

* Extra extender cord for new iPod dock/speaker set SIL/BIL will be getting him
* Stanley MAX tape measure

Maybe I will buy him the new tools he's been whining about for our anniversary; it depends on how generous I'll be feeling after Baby arrives. (Baby is due in March; our anniversary is May 5th.)

Twoboos
12-13-2009, 09:47 AM
DH's bday is a few days before christmas, so I buy everything and split it up. So far, he's getting a cashmere sweater, new comfy pants/tshirt, Fun wineglasses made from recycled car windshield(!), subscription to SmartMoney. Plus, he has a wish list full of high priced techno items that I probably *should* get something from.

Melarina
12-13-2009, 09:50 AM
We've already given each other our gifts -- DD and DS :)

decided not to exchange gifts between DH and me this year to save a little $$

hollybloom24
12-13-2009, 01:39 PM
- UGG boots
- Vineyard Vines sweater
- 20 oz (Venti size) travel mug

I think that's it!