PDA

View Full Version : Do the toddler basketball hoops have lasting play value?

MommyAllison
11-16-2009, 05:45 PM
DS loves balls, and has a lot of them. I thought a basketball hoop might be a fun thing for him. Do they get played with consistently at your house? I'm thinking of one like this http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2333007

Thanks!

clb
11-16-2009, 07:21 PM
I bought the same hoop set when DS was around 20mo. He is 2 now. He was and still is in the ball stage. I play with it much more than he does. :bag
We keep ours indoors but I really need to engage him to get him to play with it. DS will slam dunk but can't really throw balls up yet IYKWIM. He likes his soccer ball better. I guess it is because it is easier for him to kick than throw accurately.

Karenn
11-16-2009, 07:27 PM
It's been worth it for us. We've got one similar to the one you linked too and it still gets play. My kids are 5 &7. We keep it outside though.

vonfirmath
11-16-2009, 07:33 PM
Instead of buying the hoop, I got a small $1 laundry basket and I have my son throw balls into that. Who cares about getting the balls into the air, he has problems throwing such that the ball goes in more than a step away!

Seitvonzu
11-16-2009, 09:15 PM
my inlaws brought that along with a bunch of other outdoor stuff they didn't want in their backyard anymore... lucy's uses it very little, but she's not big with the gross motor stuff. she did spontaneously use it the other day when we were on the deck, but she made one basket and was DONE.

oh well :) it was free and we'll get rid of it sooner or later.

MommyAllison
11-16-2009, 09:22 PM
Thanks everyone. I found one that is like new on craigslist for $10, so I'll probably get that. DS is amazing accurate when throwing balls, so I think this would be a good thing for him - having something to aim for rather than playing catch with his unsuspecting sister. :)

srhs
11-16-2009, 11:07 PM
Thanks everyone. I found one that is like new on craigslist for $10, so I'll probably get that. DS is amazing accurate when throwing balls, so I think this would be a good thing for him - having something to aim for rather than playing catch with his unsuspecting sister. :)
We have the same one. I noticed our DSs are the same age; mine has a serious arm too. We started out giving him a stool to step onto, but what worked best with him was to teach him to throw it 2-handed underhand from between the legs, KWIM? "Granny"-style. He just couldn't get the lift and projection down at this age.

Melbel
11-17-2009, 07:20 AM
My younger 2 DC, especially DS loved ours. I even have pictures of him shooting baskets while sitting on his potty during the PTing days. DD2 loves balls and the hoop at Gymboree so it is on her list for Christmas. Ours adjusted low enough that the DC didn't necessarily have to throw it in. Congrats on your CL deal!

Kindra178
11-17-2009, 10:06 AM
We have two, one inside and one out. The balls that come with the Little Tykes one are a perfect size.