PDA

View Full Version : Stolen CC question?

chlobo
11-16-2009, 05:59 PM
So a couple of weeks ago our cc # was stolen. We believe online.

Anyhow, the culprit signed us up for some "clubs" ad such - entertainment booklet, kids book club, savings club. They used an address that was close to ours but not exactly so that's how we know its the culprit.

Anyhow, I got some stuff in the mail from these clubs. Am I obligated to return the stuff? Or does that fall under the guise of "stuff I did not order that was sent to me". I realize it would be best to return but quite frankly I don't have the time to track these places down & get them to send me a return label, find packaging & take them to the PO.

vonfirmath
11-16-2009, 07:36 PM
The clubs sent it to you in good faith believing you asked for it....

TwinFoxes
11-16-2009, 07:57 PM
OT, but that doesn't sound like the typical online theft to me. They care about CC #s so they can buy stuff. They don't steal them to pull teenage type pranks. I don't think this was online, but maybe someone you know, or possibly an employee of a local retail outlet.

You could ask your cc company what you're expected to do with the stuff. But why can't you just write "does not exist" on the label and stick it back in the mail? That's what I do with odd misdirected items.

Momof3Labs
11-16-2009, 09:58 PM
Why not just refuse the packages? As long as they are unopened, you can write "refused" on them and drop them at the P.O., even if they have been in your home for a while.

khm
11-16-2009, 10:08 PM
Yup, I'd just refuse and return to sender.