PDA

View Full Version : Best breast pumps?

em0919
11-16-2009, 07:10 PM
So, I am having my first and hoping to continue to work. I am looking at all these contraptions and ratings and am just overwhelmed. I really want to breast feed but want to make it as easy as possible. What are the clear winners on the market?

TwoBees
11-16-2009, 08:07 PM
Hi,
You might have better luck posting in the Kid Food forum. I'm looking into getting either the Medela Pump in Style or Medela Freestyle. Moms seem overwhelmingly happy with both of these choices in every blog/book/website review I have read. However, I do not have one yet (using a hospital grade Symphony and Lactina right now) so I can not offer a personal experience.

Swimfreak78
11-16-2009, 08:10 PM
I used a Lactina and a Pump in Style. Liked both though the Pump in Style was much more portable. I've heard great things about the freestyle (handsfree) -- but didn't have one. I agree with the other poster - if you move to kid food you will get lots of responses. Also search on breast pumps.

missym
11-16-2009, 08:17 PM
Thread moved. :)

stillplayswithbarbies
11-17-2009, 12:57 PM
Ameda Purely Yours has been my pump through two kids. I like that it is smaller and lighter than the Medela Pump in Style, and you can use batteries in it without having a separate battery pack.

It's also much cheaper because you can buy it without the tote bag and use your own bag.

michellerw
11-18-2009, 05:43 PM
I've been researching this very thing and the drawback I've found of the Medela is that the milk can back up into it so it isn't a sealed system. if you're interested in reselling it, this is a drawback since it's not technically safe to share with another person.

The Ameda Purely Yours is a closed system, so if you're interested in reselling it or even sharing it, it's a better choice.

betsyab
11-18-2009, 07:51 PM
I just delivered 4 weeks early, and used the Medela Symphony in hospital. Didn't really like it. I am now using the freestyle and LOVE it. The soft fit shields have reduced my nipple soreness considerably. Also love being handsfree, its about the only time I can catch up on email.

pantrygirl
11-19-2009, 07:06 PM
I love my Ameda for all the reason noted above.

I do have to tell you though that Medela has the market. So if you need parts, you pretty much can get it at most pharmacies that carry breastfeeding supplies and Babies R Us.

Medela has available parts but mostly online. This isn't a big issue except if something happens and you need something last minute.

I just wanted to give you the heads up on that.

Overall, I love my Medela and highly recommend it.

lhafer
11-19-2009, 08:18 PM
I love my Ameda for all the reason noted above.

I do have to tell you though that Medela has the market. So if you need parts, you pretty much can get it at most pharmacies that carry breastfeeding supplies and Babies R Us.

Medela has available parts but mostly online. This isn't a big issue except if something happens and you need something last minute.

I just wanted to give you the heads up on that.

Overall, I love my Medela and highly recommend it.

I think this poster meant that Ameda mostly has online parts - much harder to get in a pinch.

I used the Medela Pump in Style because I exclusively pumped EBM for my daughter for 4 months. Even though I only pumped for 4 months, I had enough EBM stored up until she was about 7 months old. I would pump 6-8 ounces each side in about 10-15 minutes. I loved it. It was fast, easy set up, easy to get parts, and pretty hassle free for me. I used Playtex drop ins with it, and the freezer storage set up from Playtex. So I pumped right into the bags. Very convenient.

pantrygirl
11-19-2009, 10:09 PM
Yes sorry. I meant Ameda parts are harder to find offline.

It's been a long day. :-p.

I do love my ameda though and recommend it.

GracieCat
11-20-2009, 11:42 AM
I've used the Lactina, Lansinoh (same as Ameda Purely Yours), and Freestyle. Yes, I've spent quite a bit! Besides size, they all have different suction speeds and feel. Of course, it's hard to know what will work best for you. I think the you should consider cost and how you will use it. When I have to pump at work and sitting in a room, the Lansinoh is fine. I have used it at home with batteries and carried the pump around when I had to take care of a screaming baby. The Lactina is completely not practical as portable anywhere. I think all the straps on the Freestyle are unnecessary and use hair elastics just fine. Considering that the purpose is just to suck, they all feel quite different. I like the Freestyle best and Lactina least even though they are the same brand. If you think you might need to walk around at any time while pumping, I'd go for the Freestyle. Also, they all have lots of parts to wash, but the Freestyle has bigger parts which I think are easier to wash and dry. The diaphragm is bigger so I think it won't wear out as quickly as the other models. Good luck!

new mommy
01-09-2010, 10:10 PM
I used both the Medela and Avent Duo and thought the Avent was much better. The main difference is that you control the Avent speed/suction. I like that the controls are on the handles and not on the motor... if you have never used a pump -- this is huge! Think of it this way... you have two breasts and need to place the parts on them (2 hands) then you need to turn it on. It was a pain to have to try to place it correctly mid suck or get my husband to flip the switch for me once I had everything set. Happy researching.

MrsMcGwire
01-09-2010, 10:38 PM
I exclusively pumped for 5 months with my 2 year old and I used the Medela Pump in Style Advanced. It was a life saver and paid for itself with not having to switch to formula. I toted that thing around for those 5 months from grandma's house to a wedding in the UP of Michigan 10 hours away. Replacement parts are easy to find (membranes and storage bags are really all I needed to replace). I plan on EPing again with this baby (due in a few weeks) and have my pump all ready to go!

MacMacMoo
01-12-2010, 04:39 AM
I exclusively pumped for 9 months for my DS using the Lansinoh/ Ameda purely yours. It wasn't fun the first few weeks because I needed a bigger flange size than the one provided, but a quick on line order solved that. I also stocked up on spare parts so that I would never be in a bind. I loved to pump (as weird as that sounds) it was generally the only free time I had. Technically not a hands free pump, if you do it long enough you can figure it out. I used my nursing bra to hold the pump in place well enough to surf the web... I also learned how to pump and drive... don't recommend it but when you have an hour commute and its the only chance you get to keep your supply up you figure it out. Got to love all the power options the a/c, battery, and the car adapter.