PDA

View Full Version : how to store foods given raw?

Sweetum
11-16-2009, 10:28 PM
I haven't given my 9month old DS raw foods - like bananas and avocados - yet, since the ped asked us to wait till now. I'm going to be starting with bananas tomorrow. Now, I know that DS is not going to be able to finish one whole banana in 1 or 2 sittings. My question is, how do you store peeled, raw bananas and avocados? I definitely do not want to throw out 3/4 of the fruit, or be forced to eat it myself!

I would love help/ideas/tips from other moms out here.

TIA,
SunshineAndMe

JBaxter
11-16-2009, 11:37 PM
My boys didnt like avcados so I cant give imput on that but bananas I cut in half and put in the fridge till the next meal. The end gets a little brownish I just cut that part off. Pears I do the same thing cut in half put half in the fridge. I also tend to buy the smaller banana, pears apples etc.

Now I have 4 boys so someone is always grazing for food here. Lots of times I to get the 1/2 pear and its gone LOL

sansdieu
11-16-2009, 11:52 PM
I haven't given my 9month old DS raw foods - like bananas and avocados - yet, since the ped asked us to wait till now. I'm going to be starting with bananas tomorrow. Now, I know that DS is not going to be able to finish one whole banana in 1 or 2 sittings. My question is, how do you store peeled, raw bananas and avocados? I definitely do not want to throw out 3/4 of the fruit, or be forced to eat it myself!

TIA,
SunshineAndMe

Avocados can be mashed, strained and frozen in ice cube trays (and then put into a freezer bag).

Bananas can also be frozen -- sliced in rounds, frozen bananas are great teething toys. Or, you can store it in the fridge -- "re-close" the peel over it (use a paper towel and a rubber band) and a ziploc bag (also use a rubber band) over the open end.

Super Baby Foods has a handy index at the end where you can find ideas on storage/ freezing/ cooking, etc. of just about any fruit or veggie you can think of.

Let me know if there are any other ones, with which you need help.

srhs
11-17-2009, 12:17 AM

TIA,
SunshineAndMe
I'm curious why your pedi recommended you wait until 9 mos? Did they explain? (Not questioning...genuinely interested!)

With banana, I just don't peel it all the way and throw it in the fridge like that. With avocado, I leave it in the skin as well and wrap a baggie around it, pressing it up against the green.

Have you been to www.wholesomebabyfood.com? The mamas here recommended it, and I got almost all of my solids' guidelines/suggestions from there with DS1.

gobadgers
11-17-2009, 12:22 AM
I mashed avocados and bananas, and froze them in cubes, just like any other baby food.

o_mom
11-17-2009, 10:28 AM
I just cut them, like Jeana said. I cut the banana or avacado before peeling and store the other half. I usually leave bananas out, but put avacados in the fridge. Then when you go to use it, just cut a small slice off the brown end and use the rest.

Katigre
11-17-2009, 01:45 PM
That's an odd recommendation from the ped - I too am curious about his reasoning. Usually fresh bananas and avocados are some of the first food rec's for 6 month olds since they're soft and easy to mash (and also high in calories).

You could freeze the extra or refrigerate it (depending on how soon your LO will eat it). But make sure to put lemon juice on any extra avocado or else it will turn brown.

Sweetum
11-17-2009, 08:39 PM
She didn't really give me a reason (and for some reason I didn't ask!) - just that it's better to stick with cooked foods till this time (9 mo), and then introduce raw foods. My family too was a little surprised. But we just decided to go with it - to me it was "Oh, just another food thing...no harm in waiting another couple of months..." But, I'll check with her next time and fill you moms in....

Thanks, all, for your suggestions!

-SunshineAndMe