PDA

View Full Version : Wwyd?

HIU8
11-17-2009, 12:39 PM
Class gifts are coming up. DD and DS go to the same preschool. We got an email from the room parents with the suggested amounts. They are asking $50 per kid (DD and DS go 5 days a week with 2 extended days--other days end at noon). I can't afford $100 for teacher gifts this year. I can probably do a total of $50. Here is my issue--which I know is stupid.....The school has a range of parents who are farily wealthy to now getting by (either by choice with only one working parent or b/c of job loss). I work pt from home. DH's hospital was just bought and to stay he took a paycut to do the same job he did before (it's a 10% paycut, but it does add up). I'm going to give what I can and I know there will be talk. I hate the talk. I love the preschoool though. I don't know why I'm upset b/c I can't give what I know others will be giving.

Should I just contribute the $50 and be done with it?

zoestargrove
11-17-2009, 12:46 PM
WOW! I think that is a high price as a suggested donation and I'd be very surprised if everyone was able to do that! $50 is generous - feel good about that and ignore the talk.

traciann
11-17-2009, 12:49 PM
Honestly its a suggestion, not a requirement. I would give what you could afford to give and not worry about it.

I just got an email that both teachers birthdays are within the next week and she gave suggestions of what the class could give the teachers. While I totally appreciate what they do for my child, I am already planning on a christmas gift which will be given just two weeks later. I can't afford to do both and I am not going to let it bother me.

kep
11-17-2009, 12:53 PM
So each child in the class is "suggested" to give $50 per gift to the teacher? Wow, that teacher is going to make off like a bandit. Don't classes do group gifts like the traditional tote bag with hand prints anymore? :ROTFLMAO:

vonfirmath
11-17-2009, 12:54 PM
My budget for that would be $10 or $15 and I wouldbn't go over my budget no matter what was suggested.

And PS I don't recall EVER doing birthday gifts for teachers!

HIU8
11-17-2009, 12:56 PM
There are 3 teachers per class in both DD and DS's class. So the $$ they collect (there are 12 kids in DD's class x $50=$600. Divide that by3 and each teacher is getting a $200 gift cert (I personally think that is way over the top).

Wife_and_mommy
11-17-2009, 12:56 PM
I'd give what you can. $50 is a lot for a teacher gift.

ett
11-17-2009, 01:01 PM
$50 is a lot of money even with 3 teachers. Last year in K (which is 1/2 day), I gave $20 for the teacher and 2 assistants. Just give what you can and don't think any more of it. I understand that teachers work very hard to teach our kids and they may not get paid a lot, but this is getting a little ridiculous!

SnuggleBuggles
11-17-2009, 01:05 PM
Yowzer! That is a lot of money. Someone needs to remind the room parent that $50 may not be a lot for some families but it is a lot for others. They shouldn't want to make anyone feel bad for being able to contribute less. Did they word it that $50 was a suggestion but any amount would be fine?

I spend $20-25/ teacher and less for the specials.

I actually just met with my school's room parents today and we agreed that we wanted to focus our efforts on teacher appreciation week rather than hit families up for more around the holidays. People can buy or not buy at their discretion. We'll see how it goes.

I would send in what you feel comfortable with and not worry. But, I really think a reminder to someone, be it your room parent or the room parent coordinator, needs to be made about sensitivity regarding finances.

Beth

ett
11-17-2009, 01:05 PM
Honestly its a suggestion, not a requirement. I would give what you could afford to give and not worry about it.

I just got an email that both teachers birthdays are within the next week and she gave suggestions of what the class could give the teachers. While I totally appreciate what they do for my child, I am already planning on a christmas gift which will be given just two weeks later. I can't afford to do both and I am not going to let it bother me.

Birthday gift for teachers?? Actually, one of the parents found out about DS1's teacher's birthday a couple of day before the date. She send out an email suggesting that if we had time it would be nice for the kids to make a card for her. And that was completely optional as she knows everyone has a lot on their plates right now. That was it. Nothing about class gift or anything.

Corie
11-17-2009, 01:06 PM
There are 3 teachers per class in both DD and DS's class. So the $$ they collect (there are 12 kids in DD's class x $50=$600. Divide that by3 and each teacher is getting a $200 gift cert (I personally think that is way over the top).

I agree with you! That is way over the top!

egoldber
11-17-2009, 01:27 PM
Our school, similar in affiliation to yours I think, also asks for $50 per child. But that is split between the two teacher and is for Hanukkah, end of year and for "teacher appreciation week", which is really big at this school.

Last year when DH was laid off, we gave nothing. (We did small things on our own.) I would just give what you are comfortable with.

hobie
11-17-2009, 01:31 PM
Wow, $50/kid is a lot! Our preschool asked for $10/kid, but we skipped it, because I had already planned on a different gift.

strollerqueen
11-17-2009, 01:32 PM
Now I know why I am starting to hate the holidays. It seems everyone has their hand out, and my stomach just ties in knots when I can't fill them all.

niccig
11-17-2009, 01:33 PM
I just had this conversation with my co-room parent. She's been at the school for a few years, and she told me that it's a range starting at $10. People give what they can afford. No one knows what someone gave, as the envelope to collect the money is kept by the receptionist's desk. You ask her for the envelope from your class, and YOU put the money in.

It's the thought that counts.

HIU8
11-17-2009, 01:38 PM
Beth,

This is just for Hanukkah. Nothing else. I'm just giving what I can--I still can't believe they asked for what they did though (I should be used to it, we have been there 4 years already--I guess I could give more in the past).

Melaine
11-17-2009, 01:39 PM
I don't like that there is a set amount for a "gift". I think it's reasonable for you to give the amount you already planned to.

Tondi G
Give what you can. $25 per child sounds like plenty to me!

HIU8
At this school they ask for checks to be made out to the room parents. I think I will do cash anyway--fooey to them.

blisstwins
11-17-2009, 02:49 PM
My teacher's class asks the same, but this is what they do with it: Christmas gift, end of year gift and also the teacher appreciation lunch during the year. It is a suggestion--totally voluntary. I try to give more because I know not everyone is able to. I think everyone I know tries to be generous and no one asks or knows what families give--only the class parent. Also, at our school they pool all the donations given and distribute them to all the faculty. The upper grades tend to be less well-off and the donations from those classes are sparse. I don't think any teacher really makes out, but it is a lovely and appreciated gesture. Honestly, I think you should give what you can easily afford and not worry at all about it.

frgsnlzrds
11-17-2009, 03:28 PM
Now I know why I am starting to hate the holidays. It seems everyone has their hand out, and my stomach just ties in knots when I can't fill them all.

:yeahthat: This sums up my whole feelings on the subject. For me, the dread starts in september and lasts through march (all the end of season sales I can't hit because I'm too broke!)

Oh yeah, I forgot. ETA: $50 is way too much imo. 2 teachers, a busdriver, and an aide are each getting a $10 gift card to waldenbooks, a hand crocheted scarf, and a small yankee candle in Christmas scents. It's all I can afford.

hbridge
11-17-2009, 03:34 PM
The last time I was a room parent and did this, I was the one collecting the money and NO ONE except me knew who gave what and how much they gave. I kept track for my own records, but that was it! I didn't care and we had plenty to give a nice gift to the teacher and aid. We had contributions ranging from $5 to $20 with all but one family contributing.

I love the idea of keeping an envelope for each class and putting it in yourself...

JMS
11-17-2009, 03:47 PM
At our preschool there is a "suggested" amount of $20/child and that is to cover teacher and aids for both Christmas and the end of year gift. I am in charge of DS1's class gifts this year and although we all more or less agreed that $20 seemed reasonable at our meet and greet in September, some parents have sent me more and some have sent me less. I'm just going to wack it up the way I see as proportionately fair and give gift cards. I will not disclose to anyone who contributed what amount (in fact, I just check out their name as being receiving and put it into the communal envelope). I think $50 is an enormous amount of money and I live in a pretty wealthy area. Give what you can afford; if they are the type of people who judge you for it, you know their real value.

jgenie
11-17-2009, 03:52 PM
I don't have DC in school yet, but wow $50 per child sounds high. I would give what I was comfortable with and not worry about it.

gatorsmom
11-17-2009, 03:58 PM
My budget for that would be $10 or $15 and I wouldbn't go over my budget no matter what was suggested.

And PS I don't recall EVER doing birthday gifts for teachers!

A big :yeahthat:. I wouldn't go over my budget either. I really think $50 is outrageous. I'd just do what I can and feel proud that I could do anything.

clc053103
11-17-2009, 04:06 PM
DS's preschool families certainly aren;t poor, we ask for $20 per child for all teachers and assistants and it is totally voluntary. Personally, if I did it on my own I would probably spend more than $20- however that is a personal choice and I would NEVER EVER suggest to someone that they give $50!

Give what you can afford and feel comfortable giving- ANY amount you give should be appreciated.

KpbS
11-17-2009, 04:19 PM

:yeahthat:

I would just send a note to the room parent that you have other gift plans. Let them talk.
I have already put together a little Christmas package for DS1 teachers so I will not be participating in any group gift effort this year.

Melanie
11-17-2009, 04:34 PM
Ours just have cards and you put in what you want. No one knows what everyone else gives and I like it that way.

Though, it's hard for us at the holidays b/c back when Dh DID get a bonus, it wasn't now. Yet it's expected to come up with 'bonuses' for everyone else out of a budget that doesn't have room for it!